Talk

Advanced search

Us road trips what's your car hire costing and what car type

(8 Posts)
SunSeptember Sun 24-Sep-17 15:33:20

What is car hire costing, is it easy to do and is fuel expensive please thanks

RusholmeRuffian Sun 24-Sep-17 19:15:28

We usually pay between 300 and 400 for two weeks depending on the car and the state(s) and also whether we pick up at the airport or elsewhere. Fuel prices vary from state to state e.g. we had a Grand Cherokee which we filled for 25 dollars in New Mexico and Arizona but closer to 40 in California.

Go on Roadtrippers.com. You can plan your route and it will estimate fuel costs for you as well as providing inspiration!

SunSeptember Sun 24-Sep-17 20:05:40

thank you rush - 300 - 400 sounds v reasonable? compared to the EU etc?

RusholmeRuffian Mon 25-Sep-17 08:45:25

Much more reasonable than Europe IME. Do shop around though, prices can vary hugely. Use comparison sites and more than one of them.

SorrelForbes Mon 25-Sep-17 08:51:31

We did three weeks of driving last year from NYC to DC. 4444 miles in total in a Ford Mondeo type car. The total rental cost was about £1300 I think and was higher than usually to different pick up and drop off points. Fuel is cheap.

brownfang Mon 25-Sep-17 19:54:54

£223 for an A-class car (smallest I can get) in California, 11 days.
Booked as UK resident.
That was massively cheaper than booking directly.

sunseptember Mon 25-Sep-17 21:57:21

Brown we would want larger car, our car here is tiny and pokey, would love a larger more luxury car... Someone said soft top but I would worry about safety

iseenodust Wed 27-Sep-17 16:06:16

We were in California in Aug. I prebooked with Alamo through expedia. £25 per day and got a small SUV. Could take it to any state and drop-off at a different airport carried no extra cost. Petrol is almost half the price of UK.

I also took out the extra insurance here online as often way more expensive at airport but when they offered it over there it was almost exactly the same price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now