Talk

Advanced search

NYC - BA vs Virgin Opinions Please

(21 Posts)
malleiras Mon 18-Sep-17 12:19:03

Hi All,

We are planning on going to New York next April with our DS's (12 and 16) It's our first longhaul flight and we're thinking of booking premium economy but not sure who to fly with. I'm hearing BA and Virgin are very good but they both seem the same to me.

Any opinions/experiences welcome smile

OP’s posts: |
GaryBarlowsTaxReturn Mon 18-Sep-17 12:23:16

Virgin. Definitely. I always book with them given the choice.

GaryBarlowsTaxReturn Mon 18-Sep-17 12:25:02

Virgins planes tend to be newer and the food is better. I've flown both airlines economy and I've flown virgin premium economy and BA club. BA used to be something special but sadly it's not any more.

smashyourglasses Mon 18-Sep-17 12:26:22

Virgin, although BA is fine.. NYC isn't that far.

malleiras Mon 18-Sep-17 12:37:07

Thanks so much everyone! smile

Is the flight from London to NYC generally ok or turbulent?

I'm actually a nervous flyer and the thought of 7 hours on a plane gives me sweaty palms but I'm not going to let it stop me!

MsGee Mon 18-Sep-17 12:39:33

Look at the seat configurations in Premium Economy as this differ in Virgin and BA. We chose Virgin on this basis but they were brilliant. I'm a nervous flyer and the wine and films kept me calm smile

2014newme Mon 18-Sep-17 12:45:00

Virgin. If BA strike as they regularly do your holiday could be scuppered. Or if they have an IT disaster like this year.

3wayburger Mon 18-Sep-17 12:53:49

I'm also a nervous flyer and the flight was fine. We book a morning flight going and a night flight coming back.
I had originally booked with Virgin but the flight got cancelled. We ended up flying with Thomas cook. It was all good.

ShotsFired Mon 18-Sep-17 12:56:18

I'd go with Virgin purely on the basis they are less likely to strike.

And I have flown to NYC with Virgin and it was better than any equivalent duration BA flight I've taken too.

SpringBreak Mon 18-Sep-17 13:03:31

virgin hands down. And on a day flight over there, it's not really worth paying the extra for premium economy - there's great entertainment and food in economy and unless you're all over 6 foot 2, a couple of extra inches are not worth paying so much of your own cash for (return will be overnight so might be worth it to get some sleep if you go straight back in to work, though it'll be marginal anyway as not flat beds etc)

yodelehoho Mon 18-Sep-17 13:04:59

Virgin for sure. I've lots of experience with both and there's no comparison.

Hsmumma Mon 18-Sep-17 13:13:56

We booked with BA in December 2015 to fly to NYC over virgin as for the same hotel and dates it was £150 per person cheaper, we were also upgraded free to premium economy on our way out. However since I've had two members of my family have flights cancelled in the strikes on two separate occasions we've taken a plunge this year and booked with virgin to go to Florida over BA as we just don't want to take the risk. My partner has flown with virgin long haul and said they're both the same really.

Tumilnaughts Mon 18-Sep-17 13:15:24

I think the food on virgin is generally more vile than other airlines but I'd always book them over BA. They're customer service is really good and their planes are comfortable.

Just bring snacks. grin

EllieMentry Mon 18-Sep-17 13:32:35

With Virgin premium economy you get priority check-in and boarding, which you don't with BA.

Also, BA charge you to book your seats in advance, whereas Virgin let you book them months ahead on PE.

Virgin have a walk-up snacks/drinks station in PE on their transatlantic flights, too, which might be useful with teen boys if they're anything like mine...)

Those things are enough to sway me (we're booking PE for the first time as a huge treat and just discovering all this stuff!)

MyBrilliantDisguise Mon 18-Sep-17 13:35:19

I flew Virgin Premium Economy back from NY as it was an overnight flight and it was great - really comfortable.

I flew Economy over there and the seats were really cramped, like sitting on a bus for hours, but it didn't matter that much. Free drinks throughout the flight - loved that!

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 18-Sep-17 13:40:13

Thought VA charge for seat allocation however, as well as BA. BA certainly charge for seat allocation and that is per sector as well.

PE customers do board earlier as well than economy pax with BA.

Do not rely on either airline to fully provide; take your own snack foodstuffs also.

EllieMentry Mon 18-Sep-17 13:48:01

On the VA website, they say they don't charge for seat allocation - C&P below.

Free seat assignment
As a Premium Economy passenger you can enjoy the luxury of selecting your seat from 331 days before your flight, free of charge. Just head over to My booking.

EllieMentry Mon 18-Sep-17 13:53:45

This article is where I've been trying to make comparisons, OP, in case that's helpful.

We haven't actually booked/flown either, yet, so other posters will be able to give you better info from experience!

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 18-Sep-17 13:56:03

Am glad to read they do not charge their PE pax such fees (they do for their economy pax though).

You would have to remember going onto my booking exactly 331 days before departure.

Regardless of whom you fly with OP I would suggest you become a member of their flyers program.

Pennina Mon 18-Sep-17 14:10:19

We had the pleasure of flying premium economy with Virgin to Orlando this year. Absolutely brilliant. Fantastic service comfortable seats and it was a pleasure. It was so nice at the end of holiday not to dread the journey home! Have a lovely time and enjoy which ever carrier you use. P

malleiras Mon 18-Sep-17 14:30:49

Thanks so much everyone, really appreciate all the comments and advice flowers

I'm not a big drinker but think I'll be making the most of the free drinks to get me through 7 hours on a plane! smile

@EllieMentry, thanks for that article will defo have a look!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in