Advanced search

Disney and Hurricane Irma

(20 Posts)
PrivetDrive24 Fri 08-Sep-17 13:31:09

Hi all,

Reading the news this morning and Hurricane Irma is slated to 'devastate the US. shock. I have a disney holiday booked mid-November. Is it worth contacting Virgin now about rebooking or seeing what happens first? I know its a way off but im a natural worrier. We dont yet have travel insurance for this trip as we usually buy it before each holiday.

Thanks all

OP’s posts: |
PolkaDotFlamingo Fri 08-Sep-17 13:41:38

I think they're busy enough with the people they've got out there now so it's really not a good time to be bothering them. No point in overthinking it until you know what actually happens. And sort some travel insurance out smile

PrivetDrive24 Fri 08-Sep-17 13:47:26

Haha true. Do you know if we would we still be able to claim on insurance bought now? Even though we know about the hurricane?

OP’s posts: |
Finola1step Fri 08-Sep-17 13:48:19

All travel companies will be very busy accommodating those already there or people due to depart in the next week. So leave it for a week until it is clear what the situation is.

FWIW, I have been in Florida during a tropical storm. It was just the edge of the storm but that was strong enough. I was staying in a Disney hotel and Disney is an incredibly well oiled machine. Even if Irma hits Orlando, Disney will be up and running pretty damn quick.

Finola1step Fri 08-Sep-17 13:49:04

Oh and perhaps get online and sort your insurance today.

jeSuisDansLeFromage Fri 08-Sep-17 13:51:00

I'm from a Florida. My family live there still. I'm sorry the potential devastation could ruin your Disney holiday. As a pp has explained they will be busy right now, why don't you wait to find out if Disney is still there before worrying.

NannyR Fri 08-Sep-17 13:53:30

For future reference, this sort of situation is exactly why you should get travel insurance sorted out as soon as you book the holiday.

CiderwithBuda Fri 08-Sep-17 13:56:30

Yes book your insurance as soon as you book your holiday. Anything could happen that could mean you need to cancel so you need insurance as soon as you book.

PrivetDrive24 Fri 08-Sep-17 13:56:48

Im not only worried about my holiday, im of course worried about the loss of life, homes and businesses.

Thank you for your replies

OP’s posts: |
badbadhusky Fri 08-Sep-17 14:07:40

You're supposed to book the insurance at the same time as you book the holiday, to cover anything that changes between booking and departure. Buying your insurance now and trying to claim for hurricane-related cancellation or delay is akin to breaking your leg and taking out insurance afterwards in the hope you can claim for cancellation on medical grounds. The hurricane has already happened - in that it's a known risk, like having diabetes or recent heart surgery. If anyone insures you now, it will probably be with a specific hurricane Harvey/Irma/the J one exclusion or you will need to pay ££££ extra to insure against the risk. I don't get why people are so cavalier about travel insurance & do it as an afterthought - holidays are so bloody expensive.

Dailystuck71 Fri 08-Sep-17 19:24:52

Even if you get travel insurance now you won't be covered.

Reports issued by the parks today say they hope to reopen on Tuesday morning. Disney hasn't announced they are closing yet. They've only suspended dining from Saturday night.

It depends where the storm hits. You just need to sit tight and wait and see what happens next week. Even beyond that virgin are going to be very busy. November won't be on their radar for several weeks.

Dailystuck71 Fri 08-Sep-17 19:57:36

Disney now closed Sunday and Monday.

JadeT2 Fri 08-Sep-17 21:08:24

Disney normally recovers within days, although this is bigger than previous storms. You'll be fine in November hmm

Out2pasture Fri 08-Sep-17 21:11:53

US building standards are not like those on tropical islands, the manpower and ability to clean up after natural disasters is quite astounding. Positive thoughts as Irma heads inland.

PoptartPoptart Sat 09-Sep-17 13:38:04

The Disney website is saying that although the parks are closing for a few days this weekend, they plan to reopen on Tuesday next week.
Cinderella's castle was apparently built to withstand winds of up to 125 miles per hour and I imagine the rest of the infrastructure is similar.
I'd say wait and see OP, things will be a lot clearer in a week or so.

badbadhusky Sat 09-Sep-17 14:17:57

I'm not sure I'd be rushing back onto the rollercoasters and rides into these parks until they'd be safety tested to the nth degree and ridden by a few days of braver souls.

JadeT2 Sat 09-Sep-17 15:59:43

Building regulations in Florida require hurricane proof buildings. Most of Disney can withstand 125mph winds, which is probably the maximum this storm will reach by the time it reaches Central Florida.

Floofborksnootandboop Sat 09-Sep-17 16:06:41

Seriously? It will be fine by November. hmm

specialsubject Wed 13-Sep-17 12:42:24

They will be fine by November. Please get your travel insurance, clearly you arent that much of a worrier - but one kid with chicken pox or noro just before your trip and bang goes all the money.

Dailystuck71 Wed 13-Sep-17 16:36:26

The parksmfully opened again yesterday morning.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in