Advanced search

Forms for USA

(9 Posts)
NotTheDuchessOfCambridge Thu 31-Aug-17 22:47:44

Just booked for USA for next year, can someone help me with the forms I need.
I think a CBP is one, so I get it before hand or at the airport? If I get it before hand, where from? Is it one per family?
The visa, my passport has an electronic chip, so do I need a visa? The rest of the family don't, is there a site where I apply for the visas? I swear I need a dummies guide!
I'm normally pretty switched on but for some reason this has addled my brain tonight confused

OP’s posts: |
user1471548375 Thu 31-Aug-17 22:51:22

Are they UK passports? You need to fill in an ESTA online, it's about $28 and valid for two years. Make sure it's the official us government website.

NotTheDuchessOfCambridge Thu 31-Aug-17 23:25:17

Thanks 👍🏽

OP’s posts: |
AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 01-Sep-17 08:41:25

This is the site you need to use and you need to apply for it online:-

You and everyone else travelling with you need a completed ESTA form. They cost $14 each and are valid for two years.

You will be given a US customs form when you check in (or on the plane); that form is one form per family.

loopsdefruit Sun 03-Sep-17 13:00:22

I believe you need to have an e-passport now to qualify for the ESTA so if the rest of your family don't you need to make sure they do before you apply for your ESTA and travel.

Hulababy Sun 03-Sep-17 13:11:52

Are you sure the rest of your party don't have e-passports. They were introduced in 2006 in the UK.

Every one needs an ESTA - even babies and children.

Hulababy Sun 03-Sep-17 13:15:17

From The Guardian:

Biometric passports have been issued since spring 2006 and the Home Office stopped issuing old-style travel documents in the autumn of that year.

So, as majority of UK passports last 10 years everyone travelling now should surely have an appropriate passport.

loopsdefruit Sun 03-Sep-17 13:52:15

Hulababy I also thought that! But OP was a bit unclear about whether "the rest of the family don't" meant don't have e-passports, or don't need visas. So thought I'd make sure, as new passports can take a little while and having to re-do ESTAs for new passports would suck.

fucksakefay Sun 03-Sep-17 13:54:18

If you're all British citizens you'll be ok with ETSA each and as PPs have said you should all have electronic chips now

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in