Talk

Advanced search

Would we be mad to go to July at the end of July?

(9 Posts)
mustardcream Wed 23-Aug-17 11:45:19

I've got a significant birthday next summer and have always planned to spend it in New York (having never been before). However, chatting to someone at work I am now having second thoughts because of the heat there at that time of year. We're 2 x adults (no children). Any thoughts? Will it be unbearable?

OP’s posts: |
millifiori Wed 23-Aug-17 11:50:13

We just got back and it was hot. We didn't care. We loved it. Depends what you want to do really. If you want art galleries and museums or major shops you'll be in and out of air-conditioned buildings that are so cold you have to step outside to re-heat your body. We explored a lot on foot despite the heat. It's the first holiday I've had in years where I didn't want to come home. Fantastic place.

FUNM Wed 23-Aug-17 12:00:56

Just do it. Europe would be way hotter at that time and most places in NYC have air-conditioning. you will be fine and totally enjoy it.

ImperialBlether Wed 23-Aug-17 12:02:36

I went mid July this year and found the weather awful. It was really hot, but it was the humidity that was horrible. We had rain a couple of days and it was great and then the next day it was hot but not humid and that was great, too. Personally I wouldn't go in July again.

thefemaleJoshLyman Wed 23-Aug-17 18:41:04

We went at the end of July (2009) and it was warm (not hot) but quite wet. That summer was quite unusual though, I think, the news as always complaining about the weather.

LesPins Wed 23-Aug-17 21:20:31

Definitely not unbearable but it's hot, humid and there will be some rain.

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Wed 23-Aug-17 21:23:42

We have been to NY three times in school summer holidays. It's been fine. There's air conditioning in most buildings and we took the kids to Central Park or down to the river when it was very hot in the middle of the day. NY is fabulous.

Pinkpeanut27 Sun 27-Aug-17 16:39:42

We went in August last year and it was hot and we had 2 rain showers in nearly 2 weeks.
Everywhere there has aircon even the subway trains ( but not the stations)
I think people either love or hate New York . I'm definitely a lover and would go every year for summer and Christmas if funds would allow!

OuiMerci Sun 27-Aug-17 19:08:44

It can be pretty sweaty in July (used to live there) but holidaying is always different to working/general living.

It's not unbearable but you do need regular air con breaks!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in