Talk

Advanced search

Oman beach holiday - worth spending a few days in Muscat?

(10 Posts)
CookiesFromTheCookieJar Tue 08-Aug-17 14:07:31

Just that really. We're thinking of going to Oman for a beach holiday. We'll have a (just turned 3 year old) in tow. Is it worth spending a few days in Muscat?

OP’s posts: |
EnormousDormouse Tue 08-Aug-17 14:08:46

Where is the beach holiday? Shangri-La?

MooseBeTimeForSummer Tue 08-Aug-17 14:10:05

I stated at The Cheri. Didn't want to leave!

CookiesFromTheCookieJar Tue 08-Aug-17 14:11:01

Yes, Enormous.. we were looking at that. Do you know it?

EnormousDormouse Tue 08-Aug-17 14:11:58

Sorry just seen you are thinking about it rather than already booked. The city is fine but if you are staying at the al Bustan/Shangri-la I'd get the hotel shuttles into Muttrah and to the Mosque. Muscat is a long, thin city and if you are at a hotel you'll still have to get transport between the sights.
If you want a change from the beach, there are some lovely hotels in the mountains for a contrast. Or you could travel to Ras Al Jinz for the turtles

EnormousDormouse Tue 08-Aug-17 14:16:27

Yes I stay at the Shangri-la a fair bit (when funds and special offers allow...).
They run a shuttle to Muttrah Souq, Grand Mosque and at least one of the malls I think (malls just the same as any other around the world though).

I'd just take trips from the hotel and also go on dhow (local boat) trips with amazing snorkelling (turtles and amazing reefs). There's plenty of trips from the nearby marinas & Im sure some organised by the hotel itself

EnormousDormouse Tue 08-Aug-17 14:19:38

If you have kids, al Waha and al Bandar are your choices; if you are child-free, the al Husn is fabulous - and the price includes afternoon tea and drinks/canapes in the evening as well as a fab breakfast so you actually save money by not having to buy much else in the way of food or drinks.

RedSandYellowSand Tue 08-Aug-17 14:44:09

Yes. It's an amazing place. My kids (7 and 5) had a ball last year.
Or day trips in, depending on where you are based.

CookiesFromTheCookieJar Tue 08-Aug-17 16:01:14

Thanks

Any tips / suggestions of where to go/stay in the mountains?

honeyroar Wed 09-Aug-17 16:59:51

I love Muscat, it has lots of views compared to other nearby countries. We used to stay at a lovely hotel on the beach with several pools,Cnut I can't remember it's name. Remember it will be incredibly hot in our summer.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in