Talk

Advanced search

Big birthday Winter holiday ideas please

(11 Posts)
GreenShadow Tue 01-Aug-17 15:50:07

DH turns 60 in January next year and now the children have grown up, we thought we'd like to celebrate somewhere exotic with just the two of us.

So. Considering the time of the year, it will presumably have to be somewhere either towards or south of the equator. I'd rather not go as far as Australia (we're also limited to a max of 2 weeks).

We'd probably want to do a fair bit of sightseeing and maybe a little relaxing too. Some history with some culture. To be honest, we're quite flexible. Budget is prob a max of £4000, though less would be appreciated.

Any suggestions?

OP’s posts: |
FatCatFaces Tue 01-Aug-17 16:01:39

Thailand, Vietnam, Costa Rica/Central America?

FatCatFaces Tue 01-Aug-17 16:03:02

Chile? Argentina? Brazil?

Move2yorkshire Tue 01-Aug-17 16:07:22

We have really enjoyed
Vietnam/Cambodia
Thailand
Borneo
South Africa
India

We visited them all during the winter months and found it a good break from the British winter

snowgirl1 Tue 01-Aug-17 16:12:12

South Africa - combination of Cape Town and safari. No jet lag as only 2 hours time difference.

GreenShadow Tue 01-Aug-17 19:48:48

Thanks for the suggestions.
I wondered about somewhere like Vietnam. I'll have to do some checking of weather at that time of year. Would hate to hit monsoon season.
for some reason, South America doesn't especially appeal. Don't know why.
The other decision would be whether to go on a tour or do it ourselves.

2014newme Wed 02-Aug-17 09:57:10

Cape town

ShanghaiDiva Wed 02-Aug-17 10:07:53

Vietnam is lovely and so easy to do yourself. Pretty sure everywhere is dry then, but you might want to check hoi an as I know it's wet there in December.
Would also recommend Cambodia, Laos. Thailand, India - se Asia is great. HK, Singapore or Bangkok could easily be slotted in to a 2 week itinerary.
China also ticks a lot of your boxes, but weather is not great in January.

ShanghaiDiva Wed 02-Aug-17 10:09:18

Another thought - Sri Lanka!

Annebronte Wed 02-Aug-17 15:39:56

Sri Lanka; Vietnam; Cambodia... Look at the Selective Asia website: they have extremely helpful monthly weather maps for each country. (I'd also recommend them to book through.) Cuba might also be good.

GreenShadow Wed 02-Aug-17 22:58:15

Selective Asia looks good, especially the weather bit - thanks Anne.

China is certainly somewhere we do want to visit at some time in our life Shanghai but not this holiday.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in