Talk

Advanced search

Cambodia with young children?

(8 Posts)
SoniaShoe Thu 27-Jul-17 23:11:37

We're planning a trip in October with a 5 yo and a 1 yo. Wondered if anyone has been there with young kids and recommends anywhere to go or stay?

At themmas moment we're thinking of getting a train from PP to sihnoukville.

OP’s posts: |
misskelly Thu 27-Jul-17 23:18:24

I haven't been to Cambodia for about 15 years so I am assuming it has changed quite a lot so can't give you much help but have you looked on the lonely planet forum the Thorntree? You should get lots of advice about Cambodia and traveling with children there.

JudyBlumeForever Thu 27-Jul-17 23:47:04

I visited Cambodia pre having children. It's not a country I'd be especially eager to take young dc to (and I say that as a parent who has travelled solo with school to Africa, south America, Asia and over Europe).

1) there is a risk of landmines. This scared the shit out of me as a young 20 something (I'd think about taking a shortcut across a field and then 3 steps in I'd realise I really really really ought to keep to the path). Imagine doing that with a toddler and a 5 year old too.

2) there is a risk of malaria and other tropical diseases. This means the whole family needs to have every single vaccination going - not sure all are safe for 1 year olds. Plus how I'll you force the dc to take malaria tablets? (Mine still can't swallow tablets at 8 and 4)

3) Phnom phem has poverty. True third world poverty. Things that are too harrowing to be broadcast on comic relief reports.

4) not so good medical facilities around the country. If you or the dc get ill en route (imagine a 5 year old travelling with diarrhoea, in 35 degree heat and no amazing hospital nearby, the stress of a med evac plane to Thailand and dealing with insurance)

Those are my reasons not to visit with young dc just off the top of my head.

If you really do insist on going then I'd probably say visit Thailand for your main holiday and fly to siem reap for a few days to see ankor wat, it is one of the most spectacular places I have ever visited (although I still don't think your dc are old enough to go and appreciate the beauty of it and they will spend their time feeling hot, humid and cranky)

JudyBlumeForever Thu 27-Jul-17 23:48:34

*I've travelled solo with dc - not school. Stupid autocorrect

rainbowjoy Sat 29-Jul-17 12:58:42

I've just returned from Cambodia and Vietnam but with a 16 year old so quite different. We loved it but I can't imagine doing it with a baby and 5 year old. It was crazy busy traffic wise and very hot and humid. Phnom Penh we liked didn't see any real poverty but can't imagine the tourist attractions would entertain a 5 year old. Loved Siem Reap and Angkor Wat but not the place for a buggy. As we didn't go off track no need for Malaria for us but did all have to have other jabs. Luckily no sickness or diarrhoea but with younger children would have been worried. It also takes a crazy time to get there we went via Hong Kong and the 6 hour time difference threw us for a day or two.

Personally I love traveling and believe kids should see the world warts and all but would leave it for a few years and go when older

Cantseethewoods Sat 29-Jul-17 13:08:09

I went to Kep when ds was 3months old. It was actually fine albeit Kep is basically a former holiday resort so it's not culturally v interesting other than the abandoned French colonial mansions. PP is not bad these days other than fairly obvious underage prostitution ( fat old Russians round the pool with teenage Locals) but it is manic and the touring is like Delhi c.1995. Also, the 2 main things of interest in PP- the prison and the killing fields - are definitely not kid friendly. Siem Riep would be easier and better but tbh unless you're a huge temple buff, 2 days is enough and it is v hot so you need to be up early to get round before you melt. Kids will get shouted at if they play in or around the temples.

However, there is no risk of mines in either PP or SR.

I quite like Cambodia but I'm not sure why you want to go now iyswim. I would leave till kids older.

Cantseethewoods Sat 29-Jul-17 13:08:43

Touting, not touring

ShanghaiDiva Sun 30-Jul-17 13:32:24

I have been several times with my children, but they were older than yours - dd was 7.
There are some decent medical facilities in SR - hospital there was fine - good treatment, private room with air con. However, as pp have mentioned you do need to have a lot of jabs - routine childhood ones, typhoid, hep a and b as a minimum. I have lived in China for nearly 10 years to we have had every jab going, but am not sure I would want very young children to have so many for a one off trip.
Angkor Wat is,of course, amazing, but dd at age 7 was not that enthusiastic about the temples and would have preferred to spend all day just whizzing around in a tuk tuk.
I would wait until your children are older.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in