Talk

Advanced search

Car seats in USA

(6 Posts)
elektrawoman Mon 24-Jul-17 13:14:14

Hi we are travelling to the US - mainly around New York State - and hiring a car to get around. I am wondering about the car seat seat situation. (For my 5 and 8 year old). I know that by law in New York car seats are required for those under 8.
When we go to Europe we always take our own booster seats, because hiring them is so expensive and they are often not in good condition. Also a relative has arranged the car hire for us so it will be difficult to add the car seats on now.
However I understand that there are different regulations covering car seats in the US so our booster seats might not be allowed. Last year I got a Trunki boostapak which is great but when I contacted them they said their seat hasn't been tested under US regulations so they don't recommend using it over there (which is a bit annoying!)
DH says just to take our boosters and risk it as it's unlikely we'd be stopped to check the car seats, and if need be we just buy some boosters over there.
Any experiences you can share?
Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Kursk Mon 24-Jul-17 13:19:17

I am not sure about NY state, but they seem pretty strict on most things. However the reality is that you won't get pulled over, even if you do it's unlikely that the police officer will be able to tell the difference between a US booster and a European one.

Jedbartletforpresident Mon 24-Jul-17 13:21:40

Can't be sure about NY state but I used to live in TX and we used a trunki boosterpak the whole time we lived there and now take them back for our 2 6 year olds when we go back to visit (twice a year)

Jedbartletforpresident Mon 24-Jul-17 13:23:23

If you really don't want to use them then find your nearest Walmart or Target when you get there - you'll be able to pick up boosters for less than $30 (in fact we bought high backed/5-point harness ones in Target for $30 when we first moved there)

AveEldon Sat 29-Jul-17 21:30:45

Just use your seat, no one will care

iismum Sat 29-Jul-17 21:50:21

I really don't think it will be a problem. I have family over there who regularly drive without their DS (7) in a booster seat and she's never been stopped.

We've recently been over and we didn't want to have to take our own seats, so for a booster seat for $20 in Target, which was fine.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in