Talk

Advanced search

California Dreamin': tips for rusty traveller needed....

(4 Posts)
buggerthebotox Mon 24-Jul-17 12:15:48

Off to California soon-yay-and loving all the info on these threads. BUT I'm a very rusty traveller and I haven't been abroad for 16 yearsblush.

I'll be staying in L.A., been to California before so know the area. I keep thinking of random questions such as:

How can i keep my phone charged?
What clothes do I need?
How the jeffin' jeff do I stick to my diet?
What cosmetics can I take?
How big a bag can I take on the plane?
What devices can I take?

I've sorted my phone out at least.....

Heeeelp please?

OP’s posts: |
MrsJW15 Tue 25-Jul-17 08:38:30

Phone - make sure you have travel adapters for the US. You'll need these to plug in any device or electrical things when you are there. You may want to make sure your phone only uses data when you have wifi as otherwise costs will be high.

Clothes - depends on when you are going and what you are planning to do - beach, sightseeing etc.

What's your diet? California is generally a pretty healthy place. Are you in a hotel or self catering?

Cosmetics - you can take any in your checked bag but there are restrictions on the size of liquids in your hand luggage.

You'll need to check what your tickets say about hand luggage. Long haul flights are usually quite generous but it varies.

Devices - laptop, iPad, kindle etc should be fine.

Try not to stress too much and remember there are shops there too!

Have you got your ESTA?

buggerthebotox Tue 25-Jul-17 09:01:40

Brilliant! Thanks. I've sorted my phone and credit cards out and I think I'm ok onnthe clothes front. We're in a breakfast only arrangement in the hotel so I'm planning to eat breakfast to make the most of it and perhaps one meal later on. I have memories of being confronted with huge piles of pancakes slathered in maple syrup!

I'm glad about the cosmetics and you're perfectly right-there's nothing we won't be able to get. I'm hoping dd will buy some tshirts out there. I hope I won't have to resort to shorts though with my 57 year old legs! I think I wore jeans last time....

Looking forward now....smile.

OP’s posts: |
Curlybrunette Sun 30-Jul-17 17:04:34

When are you going and where are you staying OP? I'm going for the first time in October, I am sooooo excited I'm giddy.

Have a great time

Oh and as Mrs JW15 said, don't forget to sort your ESTA!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in