Talk

Advanced search

Australia and mobile phones

(16 Posts)
castleontheground Thu 13-Jul-17 18:24:07

Our family are going to Australia. So four mobile phones on various contracts with Tesco/O2 direct. I can't get my head round all the charges. Receiving texts and phone calls is even astronomical. Two teenagers are going to be with us. So am I right that I can do this we the phones we can get emails and use Internet and send messages via snapchat/WhatsApp/instagram:
1. Put it on airplane mode so no calls or texts
2. Make sure data roaming off
2.Turn wifi on permanently (so that when we get to hotels or cafes we can access internet)

OP’s posts: |
castleontheground Thu 13-Jul-17 18:24:52

That should read 'with the phones' above

newmumFeb17 Thu 13-Jul-17 18:44:36

No need for airplane mode (I don't think wifi will work if that's on). Just make sure data roaming is off before you board your flight, then use wifi wherever it's available. Have a great time! Australia is amazing

castleontheground Thu 13-Jul-17 19:11:02

Texts at 40p each will still be received without airplane mode on. Between the texts the teenagers and I receive that could add up! With our iPhone 5s and 6 we are able to have wifi on and airplane mode on. So we can communicate through iMessage between hotel rooms. Is that right anyone?

newmumFeb17 Thu 13-Jul-17 19:13:49

Sorry. My mistake.

Sweetnessishere Thu 13-Jul-17 19:23:31

Are you sure it costs to receive texts?

Have you considered hiring a mobile hotspot?

Spam88 Thu 13-Jul-17 19:39:55

For O2 at least, you don't pay to receive text messages. http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad

You pay to send them of course, so you might be better off using whatsapp to talk to each other, just in case your messages send as texts instead of iMessages (unless you can change your settings to ensure they don't?).

castleontheground Thu 13-Jul-17 21:50:56

Apologies everyone, I think you are right. The Tesco mobile operator said I would be charged 40p everytime I got a text but I can't see that on the charges. Strange because receiving calls generates a charge. I am not sure I have the will to phone them up again to confirm. Today, 12 mins into the call I asked if I was getting charged for the call and she put me on hold (again) for 3 mins before she told me the answer!

Dailystuck71 Fri 14-Jul-17 07:12:06

Can't you just pick up PAYG sims from Telstra or the likes while you are there? You will need unlocked phoned but this is what we do when we visit family.

Just ask anyone in uk who needs to call or contact you to do so through messenger or email or the like and not call? Will save you a lot of money.

castleontheground Fri 14-Jul-17 09:41:37

Yes Daily that's what we'll do but it's our darling teenagers and their forgetful army of friends we have to cost-proof! Sounds a good idea about the unlocked phone too. Thank you

Dailystuck71 Fri 14-Jul-17 21:45:37

Take your uk sims out and leave them at home?

LadyCassandra Fri 14-Jul-17 21:53:58

Vodafone Australia definitely have stands in Sydney airport where you can buy a payg sim for $29 and they will set it up for you. That's what we do for my parents when they visit.

castleontheground Sat 15-Jul-17 14:09:50

Thanks Lady Cassandra. We'll take an old phone

bimbobaggins Sun 16-Jul-17 23:02:33

I went to Australia last year and only used my phone very very occasionally when I had access to free wifi. I actually bought a cheap phone when I got there because it was more for contacting relatives in Australia.
I was worried about a big bill. It didn't have any additional charges

sm40 Sun 16-Jul-17 23:24:46

When I went to oz we got a 3 sim
And put in old phone. Free calls and internet. Just told everyone temporary number.
Obviously relies on having 2nd unlocked phone.

sm40 Sun 16-Jul-17 23:26:07

Oh 3 only works for free calls/texts to U.K. Phones so whats apped Oz relatives!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in