Talk

Advanced search

SE Asia tips

(5 Posts)
Jamon Tue 11-Jul-17 18:34:06

Currently planning a 6 week sabbatical with DH at the end of the year which currently looks like this;

NYE Hong Kong (staying with BIL)
Fly to Hoi An for 5 days (been to Vietnam before but didn't make it here)
Fly to Siem Reap and see Angkor Wat (3-4 days enough?)
Fly to Sihanoukville 4 nights at the beach
Fly to Luang Prabang - how long here?

That's where I've run out of steam. I want to see more of Laos - Vientiane for e.g. Any tips on what else to do or see in Laos or Cambodia would be much appreciated! And how to travel around - we're trying avoid buses but trains planes are fine.

OP’s posts: |
ShanghaiDiva Thu 13-Jul-17 04:57:17

My advice-
Check weather for hoi an in January - may be wet as it is dry there in the summer.
Angkor wat - you can buy a three day ticket or one day - so I would consider spending more than 3 days there unless you plan to visit temples every day. The three day ticket is valid for a week. The town, market and night market are nice for a stroll and a temple free day.
Also consider P Penh - palace, museums, killing fields etc. you can fly from SR to PP but car and driver is also possible. Think we paid about 60$ four years ago.
Vientiane. - good for monuments, wats etc, but quite small city so probably only need 3 days.
Have you considered the place with the jars (name escapes me)?

Jamon Thu 13-Jul-17 13:27:39

Thanks for the tips! It's so hard to know how much time you'll want in each spot

I'm not sure what the jar place is ?

OP’s posts: |
ShanghaiDiva Thu 13-Jul-17 14:19:28

www.lonelyplanet.com/laos/northern-laos/plain-of-jars -

howsafeismytrip Sun 24-Sep-17 15:43:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in