Talk

Advanced search

Vietnam next march or April. Has anyone been?

(4 Posts)
Whathaveilost Thu 29-Jun-17 20:03:13

It has been suggested that me and my sister fly out to Vietnam from the Uk and my brother fro my the country he is in to meet up and have a holiday for 3 weeks.

We are all keen but I don't know much about it. I've heard various people say they have loved the place but they are not around to pin down for a chat.

Has anyone got any recommendations, suggestions, places you must go to or places to skip.

I'm kind of looking forward to it but also apprehensive because it's never been on my wish list!

OP’s posts: |
ShanghaiDiva Tue 04-Jul-17 08:44:01

I love Vietman - food is fabulous, lots to see and easy to get around. Check the weather for feb/March as there can be considerable variations between regions.
Sapa in north is great for hill top tribes and trekking - either take overnight train from Hanoi or there is now a bus. Train is really slow, but a fun experience.
Hanoi - great for shopping, museums, water puppet theatre, hcm mausoleum and easy to get to ha long bay from there or nam coc (sp?) which is like a smaller, inland version of halo get.
Hoi an is a beautiful town - unesco heritage site with lovely lanterns and great restaurants. Easy to go to the Cham ruins at me son from here. Can also visit ancient capital of hue, but that is further. Fly to danang for Hoi an - loads of flights from Hanoi. You can also stay at the beach at an bang - just down the road from Hoi an town. Lots of hotels offer a free shuttle to the beach too.
I am not so keen on hcmc, but enjoyed the tunnels and some really interesting museums there. Traffic is nuts, though.

Whathaveilost Thu 06-Jul-17 11:41:18

Thank you! You havemade it sound very exciting!
How did you find it money wise ?

OP’s posts: |
ShanghaiDiva Fri 07-Jul-17 00:27:11

Vietnam is good value - lots of decently priced hotels and eating out is pretty cheap too. The visa is quite expensive, but I think the government has extended the visa free period for UK citizens until end of June 2018.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in