Talk

Advanced search

Do I take a 12 week old to Dominican Republic?!

(17 Posts)
MediaMum1224 Sun 18-Jun-17 14:47:54

I've just found out that I'm pregnant with baby #2...immediate family have just booked their wedding in the Dominican Republic for summer next year. If baby arrives on time (#1 did) they'd be roughly 12 weeks old when we'd go.

I'm really not sure if it's a good idea!

Part of me really wants to be at the wedding and another part thinks it's way too much for a newborn.....day temp averages 32 Celsius, vaccines recommended are Hep A Typhoid and Tetanus, none of which a newborn can have.....we'd also have a 2.5 year old as well....10 hour flight...

Has anyone done it or something similar that young?! I'll seek advice from a health visitor and GP whether we should go or stay home, just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this kind of thing!

Thanks all!

RelaxMax Sun 18-Jun-17 14:53:25

I really wouldn't.

Too hot, too stressful for you all, flight too long, and thry won't have the routine vaccinations yet let alone the ones recommended for there.

Remember as well they could be as young as 7/8 weeks if they're late in arriving.

ophiotaurus Sun 18-Jun-17 14:58:23

No way. Especially if they can't have the vaccinations.

TheGhostsOfPresidentsYetToCome Sun 18-Jun-17 15:18:15

I couldn't cope in the Dominican heat. Felt like my skin was on fire. I'd think a 12 wo would be pretty miserable.

amysmummy12345 Sun 18-Jun-17 15:19:37

No. As above reasons.

ThreeFish Sun 18-Jun-17 15:20:36

I wouldn't.

FrancisCrawford Sun 18-Jun-17 15:22:13

Agree with all the others. Just not worth the risks

Sadly, booking a wedding abroad does mean it is not easy for manypeopletoattend, for all sorts of reasons

You have to think of your children and put them first

eurochick Sun 18-Jun-17 15:25:02

No, I wouldn't do it.

MediaMum1224 Sun 18-Jun-17 15:48:25

Thanks for the responses all - it's good to know I'm not overreacting! 32deg really doesn't float my boat either, never mind a newborn's!

MediaMum1224 Sun 18-Jun-17 15:50:14

Plus, there's no way I can expose a baby to health risks just for a wedding......I'll just watch the video when they come back smile

silkpyjamasallday Sun 18-Jun-17 15:58:58

No I wouldn't go, we turned down a wedding in Columbia for similar reasons, it's too much for such a little one to cope with, issues with vaccines and tbh I just didn't think I would enjoy it with a baby in tow.

2014newme Mon 19-Jun-17 10:08:21

No.
Also Dominican Republic unfortunately isn't that nice and poor food hygiene in some resorts is still an issue. Have a Google. People only go there because it's cheap.
You have the perfect excuse not to go.

ChinaRose Mon 19-Jun-17 10:10:22

No don't go. You'd spend the majority of your holiday inside it'd be a waste of money.

CryingShame Mon 19-Jun-17 10:23:11

As well as the baby's vaccines, if you breastfeed it may impact on what vaccines you can have before you travel. Lots of reasons to say no.

Could someone maybe set up skype so you can watch, presuming it's in a hotel and not on the beach?

MediaMum1224 Mon 19-Jun-17 12:39:34

Thanks all, this is so helpful and is making me feel much less guilty about not going!!

Cryingshame: I didn't even think about the breastfeeding/vaccines thing, that's a really good point...Could be two of us at risk!

Chinarose: totally agree, a week in the same air conditioned room isn't my idea of a good holiday hmm

Pespirenotsweat Wed 21-Jun-17 20:18:23

Also there's a Malaria risk so it would be a definite no from me.

Pespirenotsweat Wed 21-Jun-17 20:19:09

https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/67/dominican-republic#General_information

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now