Talk

Advanced search

Australia with baby/toddler and stop over suggestions

(34 Posts)
Emboo19 Sat 17-Jun-17 16:20:38

Seriously looking into going to Australia for this Christmas/new year, my uncles in Sydney and we'd be staying with him. Our dd will be 1 in October, we're thinking it will be the best time to be away for Christmas as she won't really know anything, we won't have any family traditions as such and we won't have to take many presents with us. Or maybe we are better waiting to the year after so she can do a bit more confused

I'm a tiny bit worried about the flight, anyone done Aus, with a one year old? And being away for Christmas or maybe more telling other family members we'll be away for Christmas.

Also looking at doing a stop over for a few days/nights, not really sure where's best with a baby though or if it would make things too complicated!

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly recieved.

OP’s posts: |
Dailystuck71 Sun 18-Jun-17 11:51:04

We did this many times with DS when he was small.

Book night flights out of the uk.

Buy your 1 year old their own seat. Likely to be too big for the bassinet.

Depending on how long you have in Sydney should dictate stopovers. A month and I'd suggest a stop in Singapore. Lovely place. 2 weeks in Sydney I'd say just get there and have no stopover.

As you've not booked your flights for this Christmas you will likely find they are very expensive now as it's a hugely popular time to go. Fares increase substially around mid December and don't come down again until a month or so later.

BubbleFrog Sun 18-Jun-17 12:00:36

Ive taken DD to SYD when she was 12 and 18 months and both times she fit in the bassinet, although at 18 months it was at a stretch so depends if you need to save money or not. My advice is just to fly straight through- its only 1 day and then its all over. Night flight out should cover a good few hours, lots of snacks for you both and a couple of new toys should be fine.

SuperBeagle Sun 18-Jun-17 12:09:21

We're going from Sydney-London at the same time with 4 kids, the youngest will be 11mo.

We're flying out at night, going with Singapore Airlines and that's where our stopover will be. The stopover is 2.5 hours.

I believe the stated limit of the bassinet is 10kg, but that's just a guide.

Raisinbrain Sun 18-Jun-17 12:09:52

We live in Australia. We flew back to the uk when DS was 6 months old. He was too big for the bassinet and hated it. The whole flight was horrendous. Next time we fly home we will be doing an overnight stop over to break up the journey.

SuperBeagle Sun 18-Jun-17 12:10:14

Oh and we haven't told family yet as we know my grandmother will hit the roof that we won't be at her house for Christmas confusedblush

Emboo19 Sun 18-Jun-17 12:23:49

We are looking at going for five weeks. Thinking a stop over for a few days so we get to visit somewhere else really, not to break the flight up.
Not thought of booking dd a seat though, is that definitely better? Cost not a massive issue as such.

Thinking of mentioning it to ours at our BBQ later Super not sure how it will go down though!

Dailystuck71 Sun 18-Jun-17 13:18:14

Thing with bassinets as they are allocated so even if you ask for one there is a risk you won't get one.

Bassinet seats have arm rests that don't lift. I always flew on a row of three so arm rests could lift and when possible DS could lie flat.

Emboo19 Sun 18-Jun-17 13:38:39

Are bassinets for small babies then? Dd's one in October so will be 14 months (more toddler than baby?)

Looking at Singapore and we're both thinking that would be very nice for a stay, as we won't have much knowing my uncle anything to pay in Aus, we're thinking of splashing out on a posh hotel and doing two/three nights, maybe more.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Sun 18-Jun-17 13:44:14

The MRT in Singapore means it's all accessible from the Airport. I'd take a look at staying on Sentosa. The beach there was nice, if you don't mind looking at ships and boats.

Sweetnessishere Sun 18-Jun-17 13:45:32

You DC will be too big for the bassinet but his own seat will be perfect.
Singapore is lovely and I fully recommend a stopover.
Australia is not bad either smile

Misspilly88 Sun 18-Jun-17 13:46:04

Definitely stopover in Singapore, it's great

Dailystuck71 Sun 18-Jun-17 13:54:01

I'd say he's going to be too big. Have a look on YouTube at videos and given 5 weeks then yes I'd recommend Singapore for a couple of nights.

JassyRadlett Sun 18-Jun-17 13:57:44

We have done this a lot. Definitely stop over in Singapore (and fly Singapore if you can, we have always found them lovely after trying other airlines). If you're pressed for time you can just do 12 hours in the airport in one of the airside hotels - we have found it makes a huge difference. But it sounds like you have plenty of time!

I agree with those saying buy the baby her own seat - it makes all the difference in the world.

Emboo19 Sun 18-Jun-17 14:30:06

We've just been looking at Sentosa Moose it looks lovely. Even now thinking of spending a week in Singapore then going to Aus, and having 4 weeks there, decisions, decisions!!
Although looking at flights if we get dd her own seat, that significantly reduces how much we spend on staying over! My boyfriends thinking she'll be fine sat with us...is that ridiculous?

Dailystuck71 Sun 18-Jun-17 14:39:16

Yes! Don't do it. How will DD sleep for a start. You'll be constantly switching her between you both so one can go to the loo then the other can eat.

As mentioned above you've also no guarantee that you will get a bassinet seat. Can you imagine you both being in the middle of a row of 4 with a one year old in your knee?

I'd give you 2 hours max before you regret it. Still a massive way to go.

Dailystuck71 Sun 18-Jun-17 14:43:35

It's also worth talking to Singapore airlines too. Ask them what offers they have for stopovers. Last time we did Singapore we got 3 nights in the Shangri-la for about £80 a night.

Topseyt Sun 18-Jun-17 14:43:43

We did it years ago with a 5 year old and a 2 year old.

We decided that going via the west coast of America would suit us best with two small children, as Disneyland and Universal Studios could be enjoyed by everyone. So we flew from Heathrow to Los Angeles, then had a night flight from Los Angeles to Sydney.

It did work pretty well, though the trans Pacific flight from LA is a 14 hour one.

welshweasel Sun 18-Jun-17 14:44:47

Most babies will be too big for a bassinet by 8 months and they aren't really safe once they can sit up themselves. British airways do a baby seat designed for up to the age of 2. We flew long haul with them for this reason and it was brilliant. If you fly with an infant you book your seats for free when you buy the ticket so you can ensure you definitely have a bulkhead seat. The seat is a bit like a bouncy chair, you can strap them in and it reclines. DS slept really well in it, far better than when we had a normal seat for him.

ScarletBegonia1234 Sun 18-Jun-17 14:47:34

We flew to Korea (14h) with an 18 month old. He was a bit big for bassinet but still slept in it on and off. We could never afford an extra seat (or more accurately could never justify the expense) and honestly it's a bit uncomfortable but it's fine. I would rather have the extra seat money for the actual holiday!

Sweetnessishere Sun 18-Jun-17 14:55:17

Don't even think about not having a seat for your DC. Although Singapore Airlines is good nothing is as bad as 12 hours in an economy seat, with a child crawling over you it will be 100x worse.

I wouldn't look at it as an additional cost, just the price of the flights.

I agree about special stopover deals by Singapore, we have used this before. It is a longer trip if you go via the USA

roundthehorn Sun 18-Jun-17 15:22:27

Singapore with a toddler = the zoo. Whilst the Singapore Zoo is a great day out, it's not worth staying for a week! I've travelled back and forth from Asia and Australia to the UK with four kids from infants to adults for the past 25 years and would always say get it done ASAP. I have on occasion extended my stopover from 2 to 6 hours in Singapore to have a swim at the pool and give the little kids a break, but on reflection I think it's better to condense the misery into the shortest time possible and move on.

PatriciaHolm Sun 18-Jun-17 15:35:36

We did it but went Virgin upper , with an 8 month old and 2 year old so three big seat beds between us. We didn't stop - just changed over in Hong Kong. We went for a month so a few days in jetlag at the beginning weren't a problem.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Mon 19-Jun-17 02:04:10

I did Canada to LHR when DS was 2. Had a hell of a job getting him to stay in his own seat for take off and landing. He wanted to sit on one of us. He was very well behaved, all things considered, but it was the longest 9 hours of my life.

36plusandtrying Mon 19-Jun-17 02:58:14

Singapore is great, but not for a week. 3/4 days max - it is humid as hell ! Definitely get a seat for the little one, just make life a little easier on you all. Maybe look at an internal trip while in Aus, if your there for 4 weeks. But bear in mind it's peak season for them too - so hotels are inflated in price. I'd get booking ! Enjoy

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in