Talk

Advanced search

Mobile number format for USA form - help!

(10 Posts)
Chimichangaz Tue 13-Jun-17 13:43:19

I'm trying to complete a form to enquire about a shuttle service from an airport to hotel accomm in Florida, and I can't work out how to put my mobile phone number in!

The form says it should be in the format (###) ###-####

My number is 07974 123456 (obvs made up wink )

I have tried all sorts of permutations and it won't accept it - can anyone help please?

TIA

dementedpixie Tue 13-Jun-17 13:46:58

You would normally do +44 than leave off the first 0 of the phone number e.g. +44 7974 123456

Chimichangaz Tue 13-Jun-17 14:16:26

I tried that pixie but it didn't work as there are too many digits?

dementedpixie Tue 13-Jun-17 14:23:03

Do the ### denote the exact number of digits you are allowed?

Zoflorabore Tue 13-Jun-17 14:26:07

Most American mobile numbers follow the landline format i.e. 555 area code 123 4567 phone number, it's very confusing.
Our mobile set up means that it will not enter into their format, is there a box to write any special instructions instead? And put your mobile number there.
You would think a country with 360 million people would have ran out of numbers by now!

Kursk Tue 13-Jun-17 14:29:48

The number of# does dictate the amount of numbers. First 3 are the area code, followed be the phone number.

Unlike the UK mobile numbers have landline area codes too

Chimichangaz Tue 13-Jun-17 14:42:14

pixie - yes they do.

Thanks zo and kursk - have submitted the form with a random selection of digits and the 555 area code!

I did put my number in the comments box too smile

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 13-Jun-17 15:55:32

Unfortunately many US company forms do not readily accept non US phone numbers. The form that you were using is designed purely for US citizens and phone numbers. Its a tech and software based problem.

I would further e-mail and or call them and ensure that they have your UK based mobile phone number correctly recorded. They do not always take note of info written in the comments section.

OlennasWimple Tue 13-Jun-17 15:59:41

I use dummy data and then send through the real number some other way

Zoflorabore - they recycle numbers there much more than in the UK. I still get calls on my cell for previous owners of the number, and if I don't use my cell number for three months after I top up (it's a PAYG one) then I forfeit the number. I still have my UK that hasn't been used for years and years

Chimichangaz Tue 13-Jun-17 17:03:31

I've had an email from the company with a quote for the shuttle so they are very efficient!

That form was really frustrating me though! Glad I came on here for advice flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now