Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Clothes for Australia in their winter - multiple locations!!

(11 Posts)
HarrogateMum Thu 08-Jun-17 14:20:22

DH is an Aussie and we are visiting his family in our summer holidays with our three kids, 12, 12 and 10. I have lived there but it was years ago and I can't remember what to expect of their winter and what the hell to pack! Difficulty is compounded by fact we like to travel light, will be hiring a car and don't want to have to get something huge to fit loads of cases in...and we are doing lots of different locations.

Namely - Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane at end.

As it was Brissie where I lived, I recall being fine in jeans and a long sleeved t shirt in their winter but not sure about the other places. Can anyone who has been in the Aussie winter or lives there help please?! Will I need a coat? Boots? Thanks in advance!!

LouiseBrooks Thu 08-Jun-17 14:31:33

I've only been to Queensland and that was one May. It was in the mid to high 20s and I just wore normal summer clothes. I remember going into Brissie one day on the train from the suburbs wearing shorts and a t shirt and the locals were wearing black opaque tights! It was cool at night though - my hostess asked if I wanted a hot water bottle (but it wasn't cold enough).

I'd take layers to cover all eventualities. And an umbrella for Melbourne.

mrsplum2015 Thu 08-Jun-17 14:53:20

You will need raincoats, warm jumpers and warm footwear everywhere except maybe Brisbane. It can be warm during the day but cold at start and end of day (minimum 1 degree sometimes). Sorry but packing won't be easy!

Dailystuck71 Thu 08-Jun-17 18:55:50

Perth had its coldest winter since about 1970 last year. It was cold but you still don't need a coat. Just some jumpers, jeans etc. A rain jacket rather than a coat is best. Layers are also good. If it's warm in Perth during the day you can still be in shorts and t shirts. Night time is Baltic though.

Pack so you only need to take out one case at a time if that makes sense?

NannyR Thu 08-Jun-17 19:00:32

Adelaide was quite chilly and wet when I was there in august a couple of years ago, but I was fine with jeans, fleece and raincoat, I didn't have any winter clothes with me.

SisterMortificado Fri 09-Jun-17 10:08:07

Currently sitting in Perth. You'll want a jumper, jeans, a beanie and maybe gloves. Layers are your friend- it's freezing in the morning and evening, but can be quite toasty once the sun comes up.
Definitely winter jammies though, clear days with clear nights are flat out cold.

I wouldn't bother with a raincoat- I've never worn one in the decade I've been here. Definitely waterproof shoes though. I have one coat, but it only really gets worn on nights out because it's posher than my hoodie collection.

Perth houses aren't really insulated at all, so if you're staying in houses be prepared for the temperature inside to be barely warmer than outside.

Hopefully that's helpful? Have a lovely time!

wheatchief Sat 10-Jun-17 22:36:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SuperBeagle Sat 10-Jun-17 22:42:39

Sydney and Melbourne will be the coldest, but Sydney at the moment is still sitting between 16 and 22 degrees. Melbourne is colder and more unpredictable in terms of weather (four seasons in one day).

A coat, a pair of boots, a beanie and gloves and you'll be fine. It's not too bad. The weather is infinitely better than the weather in the UK, so even if it's cold, it's generally JUST cold. Melbourne is the only place where the weather is truly dicy. Otherwise, it's relatively predictable.

PicaPauAmarelo Sat 10-Jun-17 22:46:50

I'd say mild autumn clothes but maybe one warmer outfit, gloves and hats if you're planning to go to any mountain areas or out in the morning/evening. I'm in Brazil, it's cold at the moment, I found oz pretty much the same. Locals will be in snow suits when Brits are in shorts though grin

CiderwithBuda Sat 10-Jun-17 22:51:25

Layers. Socks. Scarves. Warm pjs as nights can get cold as others said.

I went in May two years running. - Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide. First year I was fine with uk summer stuff. Second year I bought boots, a poncho and scarf and a couple of cardigans and extra long sleeve tops. In Adelaide- Barossa - we scraped ice off the car one morning!

HarrogateMum Tue 13-Jun-17 14:26:54

Thanks everyone - think I've decided it's jeans, layers, a pair of boots plus normal trainers....and a waterproof layer and warm pyjamas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now