Talk

Advanced search

Maine / Vermont - where to go

(9 Posts)
Praminthehall Sun 28-May-17 10:17:14

Me and dd, 14, for about a week. We'll be setting off from NYC and I would pick up a hire car somewhere although don't fancy driving out of NYC ...! Keen for some contrast to the rest of our time in the US which will largely be city, and have wanted to go to Maine for years. Any recommendations of things to do / places to visit? We would probably air b&b it. So far I have heard that Bar Harbor worth a visit but that's it!

LIZS Sun 28-May-17 10:20:34

Take in Cape Cod on your way and Mount Washington.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 28-May-17 13:46:17

Its nearly 400 miles driving distance between NYC and the state of Maine; its about as far as London to Edinburgh.

If you want to go to Maine, you would be better off flying to Boston and hiring a car from there. This is also because you only have about a week for your holiday.

Airbnb is illegal in NYC so avoid using such sites and stay in a hotel instead. Also they do not ever guarantee the veracity of the properties put on there.

KeiraTwiceKnightley Sun 28-May-17 13:55:57

Kennebunkport is fab but it's a helluva drive from NYC.

aginghippy Sun 28-May-17 13:59:24

The Sebago Lake area is very beautiful.

I agree with Attila about driving from Boston. If you are going to be starting from NYC, why not take the train to Boston and pick up a hire car there?

RusholmeRuffian Sun 28-May-17 18:37:28

Bar Harbor is indeed worth a visit and I agree with the previous poster about Kennebunkport too. Acadia National Park would also be on my list.

I would also take the train to Boston and pick up a car there.

Praminthehall Sun 28-May-17 22:52:44

Thanks all. Was looking at maps and my new Lonely Planet guide to New England and came to same conclusion re getting to Boston and hiring a car there. I've been to Cape Cod (& Nantucket) before and lovely as it was am not planning on going back. I've spent a fair bit of time in the US and really keen to go to places I've not been before. Would it be unrealistic to try and take in some of Vermont too?

Jaxxon Thu 01-Jun-17 22:08:32

I spent 6 weeks driving around New England with DH and mostly air bnb-ing. Maine was amazing for the coastal scene and lobster, bar harbor was pretty and worth a vist but very touristy (major cruise ship destination) and lake sebago was beautiful and seemed more rural.

One of our key highlights was the White Mountains. So so so stunning, we based ourselves in Lincoln for 4 nights in an air bnb and then explored in different directions each day. Went up Mount Washington as well which was pretty cool.

Highlight in Vermont was the Mount Killington area but didn't spend that much time there. New Hampshire was our favourite state. And not just because there is no sales tax!

Praminthehall Sat 03-Jun-17 17:04:53

Fab tips many thanks Jaxxon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now