Talk

Advanced search

Anyone transferred to US through Dublin

(11 Posts)
RudeDog Sun 21-May-17 12:56:46

I've just had a thought.
We go to Orlando via Dublin - I assumed we booked our luggage all the way through but so we need it to go through the customs bit?
We haven't got ages between flights and was assuming we would be luggage free?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 21-May-17 16:49:57

How long have you got between the first and second flights?. I would have thought your luggage will be checked through to Orlando so you won't have to collect it at Dublin. I would confirm this however, when you check in at the UK airport you are departing from.

I would read this as well so you are fully conversant with the process at Dublin:-

www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/passenger-information/us-preclearance-facility

RudeDog Sun 21-May-17 17:16:04

Thanks - I actually found a video which suggests the luggage goes through - which makes sense.

I just had a momentary panic - only 90 minutes if flight is on time (although I've flown to Dublin a lot and flights are usually shorter than they say)

I bought the flights as a package as assume it's enough time!

HarveyMalone Sun 21-May-17 17:17:27

It goes straight through; I've done it a few times

RudeDog Sun 21-May-17 17:51:16

Brill thank you!

APMom Fri 26-May-17 21:32:31

90 minutes is cutting it fine I think. They recommend to be at the airport 3 hours beforehand to get through security and pre-clearance. My dd tells me the queues at pre-clearance can be long.

ChippyMinton Mon 29-May-17 15:13:54

Your luggage will be checked through. I'd advise going straight through pre-clearance, then if there is spare time you can relax before boarding - there is a small bar/café.

You will also have to clear Irish passport control and security before getting to the US pre-clearance, which was a surprise, and added several minutes.

UnGoogleable Mon 29-May-17 17:12:05

As pp said, US pre clearance can take a while. But if you're short on time, speak to one of the airport staff and they will let you through to the front of the queue like they did with us when we had 4 hours in Dublin airport but buggered about so much drinking coffee and trying on perfume that we were late!

RudeDog Tue 30-May-17 03:36:17

We did it and we made it just in time - we got to gate just as boarding started and then we sat for half an hour waiting for passengers from another delayed flight

5 minute wait for homeland security and amazing getting off in US like a domestic flight!

hellokittymania Tue 30-May-17 04:21:13

Glad to hear, I have never taken the flight to Florida via Dublin, but have considered it. If it is easy, I will do it.

APMom Wed 31-May-17 22:24:25

Glad you made it. Pre clearance in Dublin is fantastic, after a long flight you just walk through the US airport instead of queuing with all the other flights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now