Talk

Advanced search

Tampa airport

(11 Posts)
Sunnydaysrock Sat 20-May-17 18:05:55

We are going to Florida next year. Have been several times before, always flying into Orlando. It takes such a long time to get out of this airport, including getting car, we are considering flying to Tampa (we are definitely going to fly back from Tampa as at Clearwater for last week of hols). If anyone has flown to both airports is Tampa much quicker to get through? It needs to be significant to make the extra drive to Orlando worth it. Thanks in advance.

OP’s posts: |
nothingtodotoday Sat 20-May-17 18:22:21

We flew home from Tampa a few years ago and it was a lovely airport. Much quieter.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sat 20-May-17 18:31:07

Unless they have changed things, at Tampa you fly into a satellite terminal.
Collect your luggage, clear customs then you get a transit train thing to central hub.
To make things "easier" you are offered the option of putting all your luggage back on conveyor belt so that you can get on transit unencumbered.
Unless you have your entire worldly possessions, don't do this!
You end up having to wait for another baggage reclaim.

Sunnydaysrock Sat 20-May-17 18:53:51

That's what happens at Orlando Breakfast, are you sure it's the same at Tampa?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 20-May-17 19:07:01

What time of year are you thinking of going?.

Breakfast is also I think describing the arrivals process of Orlando (which is pants at the best of times). BTW that airport now gives you the option of taking your luggage onto the train to avoid the second wait at the baggage reclaim.

Tampa is a nicer airport to both fly into and out of. However, I note that BA (the only UK based carrier that flies there) has put up their prices markedly for the period around next Easter in particular. They've cottoned onto the fact that some people would prefer to fly to Tampa so have upped their prices accordingly.

dudsville Sat 20-May-17 19:09:24

I don't know the airport but I lived in Tampa one summer and know Orlando and if you can us the airport there and maybe stay in the town for a night it will be more peaceful.

Sunnydaysrock Sat 20-May-17 19:12:33

Thanks Attila. Accommodation all sorted for July/aug next year. Price not so much of an issue, though obviously don't want to pay more than going to Orlando. It's the bloody faff at the airport. Also hoping (probably stupidly) car hire might be quicker process, cos it surely couldn't take any longer than it does in Orlando! So would you say it's worth the drive to Orlando because you get out of the airport much easier/quicker?

hellokittymania Sat 20-May-17 19:20:59

If I remember correctly, I think Cayman Airways was based out of Tampa and we used to use it a lot. It's quite a quiet airport.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 20-May-17 19:49:26

I found the whole arrivals process at Tampa much nicer overall than Orlando (but its been several years since I've been there). I would put off the drive to Orlando until the next day however, particularly if you arrive tired.

Tampa is mainly used by US based carriers; Air Canada and BA are the international carriers who fly into there.

ihatethecold Sat 20-May-17 20:00:24

It's a good 1.5 hours drive to Orlando from Tampa airport.
You will be knackered.

We flew to Tampa and stayed in Clearwater for 2 nights before going to Orlando.
Even that was a good 1 hours drive.
Car hire was quick but passport control seemed just as long as Orlando.

Sunnydaysrock Sat 20-May-17 20:39:34

I think we'll give Tampa a go. From where we stay in Orlando we get to Tampa in just over an hour. We're knackered after farting about in Orlando airport for 2 hours, so getting out quicker​ and having a longer drive is no different. Bloody love Florida.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in