Talk

Advanced search

Can I make a connecting flight in 90 minutes at Chicago O'Hare, or should I go for two hour connection time at JFK?

(27 Posts)
MsGameandWatch Thu 18-May-17 19:32:35

Thoughts please?

MsGameandWatch Thu 18-May-17 19:33:03

Or two hour connection time at Philadephia.

Many thanks.

Frazzled2207 Thu 18-May-17 22:57:27

I would go philadelphia. Vastly smaller airport.
Remember you will have to clear us customs and re-check your bag.
It's a bit tight but if there are later flights going where you are going then that will be the back up plan.

BitOutOfPractice Thu 18-May-17 23:06:55

Definitely avoid a short connection at Chicago. It's regularly a 90 minute wait at immigration and it's a HUGE airport (biggest in USA?) <voice of bitter experience>

MsGameandWatch Thu 18-May-17 23:31:50

It's a domestic flight from Orlando to Chicago and then onto London, so no immigration. Would that make a difference?

MsGameandWatch Thu 18-May-17 23:32:58

I mean from the first flight, obvs there's immigration to get out!

MsGameandWatch Thu 18-May-17 23:35:08

Sorry I am being confusing, what I mean is I don't have to be cleared to come in because I am already there, just to leave.

BitOutOfPractice Thu 18-May-17 23:40:31

Yes that would make a massive difference.

TheMysteriousJackelope Thu 18-May-17 23:46:14

If it is domestic flight from Orlando to London via Chicago, then 90 minutes is enough time as you don't have to clear immigration or customs. You can walk between terminals and stay in the secure zone it is a long walk though if you have someone with you who isn't great at walking. If you take the train I think you have to leave the secure zone and then go through the security checkpoint again. I think the longest I have had to queue for that was around 30 minutes.

If you are clearing immigration and customs at O'Hare its sensible to allow at least two hours (and preferably more).

TheMysteriousJackelope Thu 18-May-17 23:48:01

You can check with your airline as to whether you have to change terminals. I suspect you won't. I fly from my state to Heathrow via Chicago regularly and have never had to change terminals at Chicago for the outbound journey.

user1494985672 Thu 18-May-17 23:50:59

Assume boarding starts 45 minutes before flight time, 60 minutes for international flights. Philadelphia, as a smaller airport, and with a 2 hour gap, will make for less stressful traveling.

MsGameandWatch Thu 18-May-17 23:53:08

I'm flying with BA and apparently they run a bus that takes you airside from terminal 3 to 5.

It all seems very close to the knuckle though, I don't think I could deal with the anxiety. I only booked this evening, think I will call tomorrow and re-book.

user1494985672 Thu 18-May-17 23:56:13

I don't mind cooling my heels at an airport for a few hours. I just bring a book. I do mind missing flights! So I schedule for least-stressful traveling. Sometimes I'll stay overnight at a connection point - anything to make life easy...

hellokittymania Fri 19-May-17 00:01:50

Go with a longer connection when transiting in the US. Very easy to miss your flight if one flight is delayed arriving as you have to clear customs.

Monkeyface26 Fri 19-May-17 00:12:35

We flew from Orlando to Chicago and had to collect our bags from the Orlando flight & then change terminals. We had a toddler in a buggy, a 7 yr old, 3 large wheelie suitcases & all the hand luggage that goes with a long haul flight & 2 kids. You are not able to use an airport luggage trolley when switching terminals at O'Hare. This meant it was a nightmare as we didn't have enough hands for 3 suitcases, hand luggage, toddler in buggy, child and I nearly ended up with the monorail leaving with 7 year old on board alone as we were still struggling with bags. Have a think about your particular logistics as a terminal switch without a luggage trolley is not easy.

Monkeyface26 Fri 19-May-17 00:13:22

Should have said that we were taking onward flight to Uk (Manchester)

MsGameandWatch Fri 19-May-17 00:15:33

I don't think we have to collect baggage as it's a through ticket so the baggage would be transferred to the next plane.

BitOutOfPractice Fri 19-May-17 04:29:36

Not necessarily.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 19-May-17 06:45:27

I would always go for a longer connection time rather than 90 minutes. Arriving on a domestic flight into O'Hare to make a connecting flight can eat up many minutes (the crew were requesting the people on my flight to let transitting pax off first; that was in the main ignored).

If the Orlando flight to Chicago is delayed this will have a knock on effect on your time to make the second flight connection to London. With such a tight connection time as well your luggage may not make the second plane.

PossomInAPearTree Fri 19-May-17 06:58:00

From my extensive viewing of airport documentaries if you miss the flight then the airline will put you on the next available one free of charge. Obviously it's still not good to be late, miss a flight but at least you shouldn't be out of pocket. They also seem to help shuttle passengers to the next boarding gate if time is tight.

Frazzled2207 Fri 19-May-17 07:49:21

Makes a massive difference if you don't have to clear US immigration. 90m is still a bit too close for my liking, best case scenario you'd make it but it would be a bit stressful given how large the airport is.

MsGameandWatch Fri 19-May-17 11:03:29

Thanks so much for your help. I've cancelled the booking and will re-book again in a week. The flights aren't till next year anyway.

I only did it because there was an opportunity to upgrade for a minimal amount. Other connections are two hours at Philadelphia or JFK or just fly direct no upgrade. I just wanted to end the holiday on a high note with an upgrade. Any thoughts on the two hour connections or would you just all fly direct? Two kids with me - 11 and 14. Thanks.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 20-May-17 19:50:18

I would try and fly direct both ways. Going indirect can add hours to an already long day.

SparklesandBangs Sat 20-May-17 20:07:18

Id fly direct upgraded and have done less than 90 minutes in Chicago on the way home.
General rule is no less than 2 hours on the way out and 1 hours is fine for the return

SparklesandBangs Sat 20-May-17 20:08:22

Can I start again - I would fly indirect with an upgrade.
blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now