Talk

Advanced search

Holiday money for Orlando trip

(12 Posts)
beadyboo Mon 15-May-17 19:44:21

First trip abroad in years, and I'm shortly heading off for a 2 week trip to Florida with extended family. All park tickets, cars, flights and accommodation are already paid for. We are staying in a villa and there are 6 adults and 5 kids aged 0-10.
My anxiety is currently sucking all the fun out of planning, but I know we'll have a brilliant time once we're there.
Last time I went abroad I took travellers cheques (remember them?). Given the type of holiday please could someone advise whether cash / credit card / prepaid card or a combination of the 3 would be the best way to go. Mine and DH's credit cards charge 3% for use abroad which could mount up.
I went in to town today to sort holiday money and came home with no cash and a load of leaflets on travel money cards!

Iamastonished Mon 15-May-17 22:50:48

We went last year and took cash and credit card. I put most of the money in the room safe and took out an amount each day. Do travellers cheques still exist even?

Don't use your debit card because you get charged commission on it.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 16-May-17 06:34:21

I would take a mixture of some cash (say enough to last 4-5 days) and credit cards. Travellers cheques are not used these days so I would not bother with those.

Use your debit card for withdrawing cash from an ATM as well, the commissions on these are not hideously expensive (and some actually do not charge such rates at all. For instance the Bank of America have this arrangement with Barclays).

MacTweedy Tue 16-May-17 06:54:20

We used a prepaid card and it was great- I'd do a combo of a little cash and the rest on the prepaid card. Have a great time!

SardineJam Tue 16-May-17 06:58:23

Look into Revolut (this was reviewed on the Martin Lewis Money Saving Website) . We used this on a long haul holiday recently, after using the other options suggested on previous occasions.

Basically its an app with an associated card, you get the actual bank rate and can top up on the go.

SardineJam Tue 16-May-17 07:00:33

www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards#revoluteurodollar

Dailystuck71 Sat 20-May-17 14:14:36

We use Caxton or fairfx cards. You loan them direct from your current account. Or a credit card if you need credit.

AlpacaPicnic Sun 21-May-17 14:07:09

I'm doing a 60/40 split between prepaid card and cash. I didn't want all cash because I'm travelling about but I am going to places where cards may not work... plus I want small bills for tipping etc.

rollonthesummer Sun 21-May-17 14:14:51

We took £500 worth of dollars in cash plus £1500 on a Fair Fx card. That did 5 of us for a fortnight.

rollonthesummer Sun 21-May-17 14:15:39

Most of that was spent on food, btw. It was incredibly expensive!

BaconAndAvocado Sat 27-May-17 09:32:48

We went to Florida in 2015 (and are going again this year !!!!!!!!)

We took about $500 in cash and used a Post Office credit for everything else. No transaction fees.

We also stayed in a villa and ate out the vast majority of time, think we spent approx $3000.

You will have a ball, enjoy!

specialsubject Tue 30-May-17 13:28:34

Travellers cheques are not obsolete and have the same use they always did - a 'lost everything else' backup. They can also be used as cash in america if in dollars - but they are a more expensive way of doing foreign currency so they are just a backup. But if you get robbed you would be glad of them.

Take more than one card from more than one bank, including a credit card. Shop around for lowest fees.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now