Talk

Advanced search

Busch Gardens (Tampa) - Serengeti Safari, is it worth it?

(10 Posts)
Hulababy Sun 14-May-17 16:58:57

seaworldparks.com/en/buschgardens-tampa/Attractions/Exclusive-Park-Experiences/Serengeti-Safari/

As part of our summer holiday we are spending two days at Busch Gardens theme park. I have the normal day tickets for when we are there, but I was considering whether to book the 30 minute Serengeti Safari tour during the second day.

It will cost us an extra $125 (just under £100) for the three of us (me, dh and 15y dd) to do it.

Has anyone done it and is it worth the extra cost?

Hulababy Sun 14-May-17 17:11:03

Meant to add:

I am thinking of it mainly because I enjoy photography so being closer to the animals would hopefully lead to great photography opportunities of the animals, and even as a teen DD likes wildlife parks, etc. DH would be tagging along. He would be fine but zoos and wildlife parks not entirely his thing.

MayCup Sun 14-May-17 17:12:53

We did it way back in 2007, but, yes, it was fab, feeding the giraffes was a personal highlight!

LookAtAllTheBullshit Sun 14-May-17 17:18:14

I've not been on it so can't say if it is good, but what I will say having been to Florida 7 times-mostly as a child and early teen(40 yrs old now) Disney had just opened animal kingdom one time we went and it was shite.
Parts under construction which is fine but the animals looked miserable.
Went to Busch Gardens and it was a world apart for the animal/zoo attraction.
Doesn't help you much, but it just seemed their level of care and animal happiness was so much better.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 14-May-17 17:23:46

I've done that safari experience and I thought it was well worth doing (there is a photo of me on the sideboard feeding one of the giraffes some lettuce from the truck). If you do book this you need to do so asap when you arrive at the park as places are limited.

Hulababy Sun 14-May-17 17:28:40

Thank you.

We have been to Disney several times over the past 13 years, and we really enjoy Animal Kingdom. It has changed a fair bit since our first visit in 2004 though (latest is it was this year) - animals have always seemed very happy and settled over the last few years to be fair.

We have never been to Busch Gardens before though. I know it is part of the SeaWorld group - a park we haven't been to since 2006 tbh as never overly convinced by having whales there. But DD has persuaded us to have a couple of days at BG as part of our summer holiday.

It looks like the Serengeti Safari is different in style to the Animal Kingdom style safari, although that is no longer a themed ride like it was initially.

I am sure DD will love feeding the giraffes.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 14-May-17 17:29:32

BTW would suggest you have lunch at the Serengeti Overlook Restaurant and pub (definitely NOT their first floor self service cafeteria however, but their restaurant on the second floor). It gives you good views of the park. It opens at 11.00am I think.

The ice show called Iceploration at the Moroccan Palace Theatre is also worth watching as well.

Hulababy Sun 14-May-17 17:30:43

We would be doing it at the very start of August. There are currently places to book on all three tours at present, but think we need to consider booking asap.

Now to convince DH too...

Hulababy Sun 14-May-17 17:32:43

AttilaTheMeerkat - thanks, will have a look at the restaurant, wonder if you can book...

I am thinking we will do the animal bits on the second day. It ideally needs to be a slightly less hectic day as in the early evening we will be driving down to Fort Myers Beach, so around 2.5-3 hours drive.

citykat Sun 14-May-17 22:43:10

Sorry to but in but have you been to Fort Myers before? Any tips? Have been looking at Sanibel island and cannot decide whether to stay there or FM.
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now