Talk

Advanced search

Best time of year to visit NYC? Best hotel?

(37 Posts)
MazDazzle Sun 14-May-17 10:07:56

We can go any time in the next 12 months.

metalmum15 Sun 14-May-17 10:19:10

I've been just before Christmas and it's magical, especially if it snows! Extremely cold though. Summer months are very hot and sticky, really not pleasant, best time is probably around April to June for nice weather that's bearable.

TheMogget Sun 14-May-17 10:31:35

We went late August and it was lovely, sunny but not too hot.

JigglyTuff Sun 14-May-17 10:35:56

We went in October - lovely sunny days but not horribly hot. Was wonderful.

I don't know what your budget is but we stayed in the Holiday Inn in Hells Kitchen which is really well located, reasonable and includes an 'as much as you can eat' buffet breakfast. NYC has become really expensive with the horrible exchange rate so that was a welcome saving

MazDazzle Sun 14-May-17 10:41:42

I do like the idea of visiting in the run up to Christmas, but would miss walking around outside.

It looks like April/May might be the best option for us.

I'm don't where to start accommodation wise or which area to stay in. We'll probably be there for 4 nights.

mintich Sun 14-May-17 10:46:43

I went in June. Lovely weather, loads of outdoor food festivals on too

MazDazzle Sun 14-May-17 10:48:56

Sounds like October could also be a possibility then Jiggly.

We've been once before, years ago, and had a tiny, cramped room in a swanky hotel. It was a bad choice: the room sucked, the food and drink were extortionate and we were surrounded by high end designer shops and offices. Still had a great time, but wouldn't make the choice again.

I'd definitely prefer a decent sized room where we can relax. Coming back to a tiny box at the end of a long day was a bit depressing.

witwootoodleoo Sun 14-May-17 10:55:15

Another vote for June. Really nice time to be there smile

mintich Sun 14-May-17 12:15:22

http://www.broadwayplazahotel.com/m/ I stayed here. Decent location, a few blocks from Times Square, just near Flatiron building. Nice spacious room, only continental breakfast but you'll want to eat out anyway!

TSSDNCOP Sun 14-May-17 12:31:04

We stayed recently at the W Downtown which is next the the WTC site and the Freedom Tower. We go to NYC a lot and prefer to be nearer to Greenwich/SoHo/TriBeCa. I think there's a swanky new hotel recently opened in Hudson Yards.

I like to go mid-late November it's usually still quite warm during the day. Just after Thanksgiving is always fun as they suddenly dial it up ready for Christmas. Might just be me but I've always found Feb/March the coldest time to be there.

MazDazzle Sun 14-May-17 21:34:10

Thank you for the recommendations.

Checking them out just now. Starting to get excited now!

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Sun 14-May-17 22:15:01

We stayed in the Tuscany, which was a little out of the centre but walkable to shops and subway. It was lovely, small boutiquey and stylish but not stark. We chose it after a long search based on good reviews, bad reviews, price, location etc - DP did a spreadsheet grin

I'd definitely recommend the Tuscany

I'd love to go before Xmas. We went in Feb and it had snowed, so we got lots of lovely snowy photos of central park, but no holiday atmosphere and it was all starting to melt a bit! Next time we'll either go for Xmas or in the summer when we can hang out outside a bit.

Jaimx86 Sun 14-May-17 22:26:08

We just stayed at The Elysee for a week. 'Top 10' list for NY hotels on Tripadvisor. We really liked the free wine and cheese every evening (5-8pm) and there were refreshments/snacks throughout the day which were a nice touch for when we popped back to freshen up. www.elyseehotel.com

Out2pasture Sun 14-May-17 22:30:32

we went in October and stayed at the W, by the wtc memorial and trinity church. we were very pleased.

TSSDNCOP Mon 15-May-17 23:51:07

Out what did you think of the W, we were very keen. Great location for all the boat to Liberty/open top bus start points.

LapdanceShoeshine Mon 15-May-17 23:55:45

We've had a week mid-May & a week mid-Oct & the weather was perfect for me both times, but I don't like it hot/cold/snowy/wet/windy grin

honeyroar Mon 15-May-17 23:58:35

New York is magical at Xmas, but can be very busy. I love the cold, crisp winters. Summer is too hot in this city. I think I prefer New York in Autumn. Central Park is gorgeous and it's still warm.

SugarnetMum Tue 16-May-17 00:00:08

Affordable, nice accommodation for a couple wanting to visit new York for a week or so in maybe a year?

budgiegirl Tue 16-May-17 15:09:41

I've been at several times of the year. December was by far my favourite, purely for the atmosphere. It was magical ! We had snow, the shop windows were fab, the Christmas markets were on, and we went skating at the Rockerfeller and Central Park.

It was very cold, but beautiful, and we were outside practically the whole time, we just wrapped up warm and stopped for lots of hot chocolate and hot apple cider !

bojorojo Tue 16-May-17 20:23:06

New York hotels are not known for their large rooms unless you have $$$$! Smaller rooms don't bother me if the overall hotel is good. How much time do you spend sitting in a bedroom?

Choose an area then look at hotels with excellent reviews on booking.com from British travellers who seem like you. Soho and Greenwich Village have character. Bear in mind what you want to see because if you are right down by the World Trade Centre site it's a long way to most other main sights. It may be cheaper but it's remote.

MirandaWest Tue 16-May-17 20:25:06

I've been late September and early October. Weather nice both times; September warmer and probably overall nicer.

Missb00 Tue 16-May-17 20:32:02

I have been once in Dec between xmas and new year and once in April. If I could go again it'd 100% be around xmas time again. We stayed in Waldorf Astoria Towers and Westin Times Sq.

IndianaMoleWoman Tue 16-May-17 20:34:58

End of October for an American Halloween. Warm in the sun but chilly in the shade, bright orange leaves on the trees.

Our favourite hotel is www.morganshotelgroup.com/special/ppc-morgans?cid=PPC:Morgans:offer&gclid=CIfOz7qT9dMCFe6_7QoduU4CRg

Rooms at huge but nice, has a fab buffet breakfast to set you up for a busy day and a 24hr "living room" with sofas, books, internet access and tea/coffee facilities if you want a bit more space. It's in a great location too.

JaneEyre70 Tue 16-May-17 20:39:56

We went early November as it was really cheap, and had great weather during the day although the wind at night made it almost impossible to walk out in, it took your breath away! We stayed at The Conrad - it was amazing, our room had a lounge area, wet bar, bathroom and spacious bedroom with 2 colossal beds in, all overlooking the Hudson. It was really quiet at night which was nice, and literally 2 minutes to WTC site and a quick walk to Battery Park. We booked via BA, and paid around £700 each for 3 nights in the hotel, transfers to/from the hotel and flights from Heathrow.

BigSandyBalls2015 Tue 16-May-17 20:45:20

I've been looking at the Conrad hotel but decided it was too far away from main areas. Did you find that? Hotel looks fab though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now