Talk

Advanced search

Disneyland in August are we nuts?

(34 Posts)
MrsOs Sat 13-May-17 20:08:57

We are desperate to go disney and going at easter will cost the earth, xmas will be a bit cold for water parks so only option i think is late july/ early aug or late aug... just worried about the heat and rain.. anyone been and can say what its like?

jolufc Sat 13-May-17 20:57:30

We went last year and it was fine. Couple of afternoons of thunder but apart from that ok. Lots of shade in the parks and air conditioning. Last 2 week in Aug generally cheaper than July /early Aug and parks quieter as American children back at school.

MadisonAvenue Sat 13-May-17 21:00:07

Disneyland is in California, so if you mean the parks in Florida then make sure you purchase tickets for Disney World.

MrsOs Sat 13-May-17 21:07:30

Is everything still open at the end of august?

Ginorchoc Sat 13-May-17 21:09:36

We went to Disneyland LA last August and it was fine, certainly quieter than Disneyworld at Christmas!

user1468353179 Sat 13-May-17 21:15:01

Florida is so hot in August. It's gorgeous though.

QuitMoaning Sat 13-May-17 21:17:30

We went to DisneyWorld in Florida late July a couple of years ago. Very hot and incredibly humid. Also mentally busy.

But it was awesome!

CauliflowerSqueeze Sat 13-May-17 21:21:11

I went to Miami a few years ago and it was like a Turkish bath. Couldn't wait to get out.

Trying2bgd Sat 13-May-17 21:22:57

have you thought about October half term? Cheaper, still pretty warm (about 24/25) and its pretty empty, we went at this time and for some rides there were no queues at all and the most popular ones were about 20 minutes.

MrsOs Sat 13-May-17 22:06:23

I'll look at October.. was wondering also about recommendations for hotels inside disney? Was looking at carribean beach but the reviews are mixed and they say furthest away from magic kingdom.. looking for somewhere more central that doesnt cost the earth..

Madeyemoodysmum Sun 14-May-17 00:11:30

Been to Caribbean beach. Was fine with the Disney buses I didn't find it an issue.
Food got a bit samey but that was Disney overall

MrsOs Sun 14-May-17 07:12:21

With disney dining where else can you eat?

MrsOs Sun 14-May-17 07:40:43

CAn you get to disney springs from the carribean beach resort and use your disney dining plan there?

thisnthat Sun 14-May-17 07:49:24

Dining plan can be used in all the parks, resort hotels and Disney Springs. We always go in august - yes it is very hot but there is plenty of air con to get away from the heat and as long as you plan your days well ( theme parks either early or late each day, nice swimming pool breaks in the afternoon) it is very doable. And yes it can rain almost every day but 90% of the time the rain lasts less than 30 mins.

BananaDaiquiri Sun 14-May-17 10:43:25

No you aren't mad. That's when the main school holidays are. It'll be hot and there will be some big downpours but it will be fine!
I believe Caribbean beach is about to undergo some renovations so that might be worth considering. It is probably the furthest fro Magic Kingdom of the moderate resorts, but some of the value resorts are further. On the plus side it is near Epcot, Studios, nearish Typhoon Lagoon and Disney Springs. Another thing to bear in mind that I keep reading is how large the resort is. This YouTube vid is pretty good, the booking parts are more for US visitors I think but plenty of good info about buses, different rooms, amenities, which building to request etc:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrYxOcNgSpU
As thisnthat said, dining plan can be used in parks and Disney springs.

rollonthesummer Sun 14-May-17 10:45:00

Disneyland or Disney world?

MadisonAvenue Sun 14-May-17 11:59:04

rollon I've already asked that but had no answer. I assume the OP means Disney World seeing as she's mentioning water parks too?

fluffydogs Sun 14-May-17 12:05:04

Nah we did the last 3 weeks in August, yes it was hot, but it wouldn't put me off at all. Had an amazing time! We stayed off site which I was glad about as it can all get a bit much if it was constant Disney!!

BananaDaiquiri Sun 14-May-17 12:59:19

rollon, OP is looking at Caribbean Beach resort which is a Disney World resort so I assumed she had meant WDW and mistakenly typed Disneyland.

MrsOs Sun 14-May-17 14:35:43

I mean walt disney world.. not disneyland a,though i didnt know there were two

MrsOs Sun 14-May-17 14:36:25

I just thought it was one place and some call it wdw and others disneyland sorry for my ignornace 😄

naturalbaby Sun 14-May-17 14:41:03

We went to Florida in October and it was HOT! I cannot imagine the heat in August but our kids just about managed with shade, mist stations and reasonable queues. It was busy but we only had a few queues over 40mins in 10 days. DH did a huge amount of research to get the most out of it - value for money and beating the queues.

fruityb Sun 14-May-17 14:47:28

Went to Florida in August and apart from sweating like a pig every day it was amazing. We didn't queue any longer than 45 minutes anywhere and it wasn't as busy as I expected. Some days were quieter than others as school started again in America while we were there. The heat was a little crazy but it was more the humidity. You just have to dive into buildings every now and then and they have fans and air con on a lot of the queues once you get inside - they're well shaded too. You get used to the weather after a while - make use of the refill cups.

The good thing is everyone is a sweaty mess - so you're all in the same boat 😄

neonrainbow Sun 14-May-17 14:57:17

I've been to florida in January and it was hot enough for water parks on a couple of days so i wouldn't rule out the winter months necessarily.

MrsOs Mon 15-May-17 07:08:56

The refil cups with the DDP is only for use in resort but what do you do in the parks? Can you buy refil cups for their too??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now