Talk

Advanced search

The heat in Orlando in August

(13 Posts)
Pinkpeanut27 Thu 11-May-17 19:10:24

I know Orlando is going to be hot and rainy in August .
We have a week booked staying off site mid to late August .
Not sure how it happened ! Dh and I are not massive Disney fans or theme park fans . We have 3 dc's 7 and 2 teens .
Non of them are massive Disney fans either but they like it enough esp teen girl .
So o think what I'm saying is we are planning a few days at Disney but have no passionate desire to see anything specific just go on a few rides and get the vibe .
Now I'm looking for best tips to avoid the crowds and heat as much as possible . I cannot see anyone of us standing in the 30+ degree heat for any length of time queuing !

It sounds a bit moans this post but it's not . I think we will have a fab time but would rather take tne easy route rather than the super popular one !!

AliciaMayEmory Thu 11-May-17 19:15:50

When in August are you going? We found that the end of August is quieter in the parks as the American kids are back at school. Legoland was deserted when we went last year last 2 weeks of August. As for the heat, plenty of water bottles, catch the shade when you can and wear a hat. No other advice, really. It tends to rain in the afternoons so that will cool you down a bit! [Grin]. But to be honest, you'll get used to it and you can always go inside the cafés or the indoor or under cover shows when the heat gets too much. I love it and the weather at that time of year doesn't put me off at all. Hope you have a fabulous time!

Jaimx86 Thu 11-May-17 19:23:14

Following with interest. We want to go to Florida next year (Miami then to The Keys) and the only time we are likely to fit it in it last week July/first week of August). A colleague told me that she went with her family in August and that the heat humidity was bearable. Aren't you worried about the chance of a hurricane? I'm wondering what would happen with travel insurance.

Youvegotafriendinme Thu 11-May-17 19:34:55

It's August, in Florida. I'm afraid standing in 30+ degree heat for long periods of time are inevitable I'm afraid. Go on the Dibb, use their busy day guide and park planner. Don't do the water parks at the weekend as that's when they are busiest.
I've been 10+ times in nearly every month so feel free to ask away smile

P.s. Hope you all have a fantastic time smile

wren23091 Thu 11-May-17 19:41:09

100% fastpasses will be your friend! Depending on the type of tickets you get, if you register with the Walt Disney World app, and register your tickets on there, you can plan your fastpasses for the rides you want to try, and your queuing time will be massively reduced. Also the evenings are less busy - if you have an early/late evening meal, you can spend some time in the parks whilst the families with young kids get dinner, and wait times will likely reduce then too.
I also agree with Youvegotafriend - a park planner is how we got around last summer, and honestly we didn't wait for more than about 20 mins for anything (lots of careful fastpass planning and tactical rest stops!).
I hope you have a fab time OP!

2014newme Thu 11-May-17 19:41:34

Make the most of the fastpass system. Spend some time in Park then head for the pool. We went in may it was roasting but not humid. The parks are open at night too.

BuzzKillington Thu 11-May-17 19:50:02

Meh - we always go to florida in July and August and the heat doesn't bother us.

Mind you, we're on the Gulf of Mexico, not queuing in Disneyland which I imagine is pretty tough.

It will be hot, it will be sticky and it will rain like fuck. But, as long as you expect that - it will be fine.

Pinkpeanut27 Thu 11-May-17 19:58:29

We did Miami last year on walkingbabout was really hot , beach and pool were fine . Only had a bit of rain one afternoon and one rain storm at night .
We go 12-18th Aug .

Titsywoo Thu 11-May-17 20:05:34

We went in May and it was 35 plus degrees everyday. My kids and DH found it too much (I loved it!). It wasn't the queueing really as a lot of that is inside and much cooler. It was just the walking around as the parks are pretty big. We stuck to getting there at 9 and leaving at 2. I think if you're not bothered about seeing everything you'll be fine to wander a bit and if you are going on quite a few rides it'll be ok. Yes to fastpasses - they are a life saver! The evenings are great - especially at the world showcase at Epcot. They often do 24 hour openings and stuff like that.

If I went again I'd stay onsite and do 9 to 12 in the park then back after 3 for a couple of hours then dinner then back in the evening.

Susiesue61 Thu 11-May-17 20:07:13

We went in August. It was really hot but you just get used to being sweaty grin
It rained some afternoons. We had an absolute ball! Queues weren't too bad really, just that restaurants seemed to be booked out so be organised with that.
It'll be fab!

chipsandpeas Thu 11-May-17 20:07:35

i was in orlando last august and yeah it was hot but to me it was copeable, disney and universal are set up with the heat and there was plenty of fans and water coolers about and the shops were freezing so we ended up going in to look as well as cool down

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 11-May-17 20:08:35

It was absolutely fine for us.

mummymeister Fri 12-May-17 10:39:23

My teens preferred universal to Disney as the rides were a bit more grown up so you might want to have a look at that as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now