Talk

Advanced search

Help needed! Where would you go for magical family holiday

(43 Posts)
scratchviolet Tue 09-May-17 19:11:38

It's my and DH's 40th birthday this year, plus 10 year wedding anniversary. Today I found out I've rather unexpectedly got a £6000 bonus at work. We had been toying with a more extravagant holiday (we usually take the kids camping here or Europe) but couldn't really justify the expense. But now we can. But where to go? I really need some inspiration. Kids are 7 and 5. We are not lie on the beach types, don't want to stay in a resort, definitely don't want anything involving Disney. Where would you go with 2 weeks and £6000 to spend. Can go at any time of year. TIA

2014newme Wed 10-May-17 12:58:39

South Africa but I wonder if it would be over budget

My kids loved new York at that age and you could combine with somewhere else in USA

San Francisco /Vegas/grand canyon

2014newme Wed 10-May-17 13:01:17

Or Iceland. You can combine new York and Iceland easily
A cruise up the Norwegian fjords

RTKangaMummy Wed 10-May-17 13:15:51

What are your interests?

So are children home schooled?

Could you extend time frame?

Canadian Rockies and Banff then Toronto & Niagara Falls (but don't stay there go for day drive from Toronto)

Aussie and/or NZ but need more time really

2014newme Wed 10-May-17 13:18:29

You won't get a holiday to Australia for £6k for 4 people.

bojorojo Wed 10-May-17 18:09:31

I would look at a company called Families Worldwide. We used them when our children were younger. You may have to find a bit extra for that special trip but you would have had to spend a bit on your normal holiday and I would add that in if you have to. Places like Sri Lanka, Safaris and South Africa should be in reach. We went to Peru with them when the children were a bit older than yours. Other families we met recommended Vietnam. Hope you find inspiration!

scratchviolet Wed 10-May-17 19:31:39

Thanks everyone. Kids aren't home schooled so we are tied to holidays to some extent but happy to take them out for a week or so either side of a half term or similar. We like walking, riding, exploring...

Been pre kids to New York a few times and Iceland and while I'd really happily go again we want it to be a new trip for us too. Australia is feasible as we've loads of family there but that makes it seem less of a holiday for some reason. Canada is a definite option - never been there. And someone at work suggested Vietnam too. Hadn't even considered safaris - had assumed they might be more than we've got. Will definitely take a look at that website - thanks

RTKangaMummy Wed 10-May-17 20:46:20

If you like walking riding and exploring

--- hire a motorhome and do Canada, explore Vancover, then Rockies and Banff then fly to Toronto and combine Niagara

Or you could travel by train from Vancover up to Banff thru Rockies

There is a special train service with huge Windows so you see the views of mountains

RTKangaMummy Wed 10-May-17 20:50:07

here are details of a company that do the Vancover to Banff and Calgary train

You can go right across Canada by train but not much go see in middle

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 11-May-17 11:09:24

We've just travelled round Cuba with DD 6 and 8. We stayed in Casa particulars (homes) and finished AI.

We self drove and it was amazing. Havana, Vinales, playa Larga, Trinidad, Varadero.
£7k via an agent, if you are prepared to do some booking yourself, you'd save quite a lot. Definitely a winner IMO

user1477249785 Fri 12-May-17 02:46:03

Oh I vote for the amazing Costa Rica. Specifically do this package: rafikisafari.com/wp/super-lekker/

Best holiday we have ever had and your kids are at the perfect age (mine liked it loads more than Disney….)

MooseBeTimeForSnow Fri 12-May-17 03:01:59

The cross Canada train is really expensive, particularly the Rocky Mountaineer.
Fly into Calgary, go to Banff, head across the Rockies to Vancouver (maybe via the BC wineries) then fly from Vancouver to Toronto, do Niagara etc

MooseBeTimeForSnow Fri 12-May-17 03:05:06

Singapore - very clean, lots of shopping, lots of historical and cultural things, the Jurong bird park, night safari, botanical gardens.
A swim in the highest pool in the world? Go hunting in the markets for durian fruit (you'll smell it before you find it).

kath6144 Fri 12-May-17 12:50:05

I would also suggest Canada, but you really need 3wks to do Vancouver and the Rockies, with the distances involved, never mind adding on Niagara. But we found plenty of interest in Vancuver, Vanc island and Whistler, so if we go back, would do either those 3 OR the Rockies.

Look at flights with Air Transat, think they are more a charter company, but much cheaper then BA etc.

This summer is the Canada's 150th anniversary, so will be busier than normal, but you could maybe plan for next year, and allow your normal holiday allowance on top of the 6k.

Nostrilflare Fri 12-May-17 12:53:12

India!

PotteringAlong Fri 12-May-17 12:55:45

Fly to Bangkok and get the train all the way to Singapore and fly home from there?

squeaver Fri 12-May-17 12:56:19

California with a ranch stay, Yosemite, Highway 101

ajandjjmum Fri 12-May-17 13:22:51

South Africa was my first thought. Beach/safari/culture. It was our 'holiday of a lifetime'. Have fun planning!

Coffeetasteslikeshit Fri 12-May-17 13:34:52

Victoria Falls. We took the kids last year at Easter for 5 nights and I wish we'd stayed longer. Apart from the Falls being amazing (the kids loved getting soaked in the spray), there were warthogs grazing at the side of the roads, we went on an elephant back safari, visited a place where a local guy was trying to get back to living in the traditional way (we were the only people visiting and got to meet all his family and join in with their day), went on a evening cruise up the Zambezi and did the zip wire across the gorge. Plus the kids loved the trillion dollar notes!

AcrossthePond55 Fri 12-May-17 13:44:24

Yellowstone National Park.
You'll never see anything like it anywhere else.

scratchviolet Sat 13-May-17 07:46:19

Oh wow. Thanks. Ten years worth of potential holidays here! But that Costa Rica trip looks amazing. Just wondering whether the kids are still slightly too young for all the rafting etc but that looks like a real contender - if I can persuade DH to up the budget a bit!

wordlemcfuddle Sat 13-May-17 16:39:11

Jamaica - may sound beachy but the first time we went we didn't sit down for a week! So much to do. Bob Marleys house, climb the waterfalls, go on the Martha Brae, go to the Blue Mountains and cycle down, rum factories, historic houses, theme park, etc etc.

Big Caribbean fan here, Barbados also incredible slightly less to do but if it doesn't make you like beaches no where will.

Or a cruise?

ShanghaiDiva Sun 14-May-17 07:25:21

Some possibilities (have done all of these with my kids)
Vancouver - Vancouver Island then Whistler
Borneo - rain forest treks, national parks, orang utans. long houses and kayaking -start from Kuching or Kota Kinabalu. Combine with KL or HK or Singapore.
China and HK - Chengdu for the pandas, Shanghai, Beijing and wall, Xi'an. Easy to travel by train/plane.
Vietnam - Hanoi for water puppet theatre, museums, shopping in old town then Halong bay or go by overnight train to Sapa for trekking - not in summer months as too wet. Fly from Hanoi to Danang to go to Hoi An - beautiful Unesco heritage old town with lots of lovely restaurants. Visit me son ruins about 45 mins away and there is a beach at an bang.
Cambodia - amazing temples in Siem Reap - and easy to hire a car and driver to go to P Penh for museums, palace etc.

eurochick Sun 14-May-17 07:46:37

Some great ideas here.

I'd add:
Sri Lanka
Borneo
The US (so many options but maybe Grand Canyon or Yosemite as part of a road trip)

Ruby2202 Sun 14-May-17 17:41:22

Word- we re looking at Jamaica. Which resort was it please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now