Talk

Advanced search

What to put in hand luggage for a 26hr flight

(58 Posts)
CaulkheadNorth Mon 08-May-17 22:35:14

Flying Heathrow - Kisumu (Kenya), with two stop overs and three hours driving either side.

So far I've got knitting, toothbrush, facewipes, deodorant, book, phone charger, spare vest top.

What have I missed?

bojorojo Mon 08-May-17 22:56:53

Knitting? With knitting needles? These will be removed at security I suspect. Sharp pointy things are usually not allowed! Make sure deodorant is the permitted size or it will get dumped at the airport too. Ditto sun lotion.

Phone! Toothpaste! Fleece. The aircraft cabin gets chilly. Change of socks! Hairbrush. Your own headphones. Moisturising lotion, small size. Glasses if you need them and sunglssses. Any medication you may need. Spare pants
- if you get delayed! Make up. I take a spare set of clothes just in case my luggage doesn't turn up! Camera and iPad. Anything valuable, jewellery, money, credit cards etc. Insurance details.

bojorojo Mon 08-May-17 22:59:21

What route are you doing? Do you have two changes of aircraft in Kenya? Check hold allowance on domestic flights in Kenya. They may be less than international hold allowance.

123MothergotafleA Mon 08-May-17 22:59:21

Tic Tacs, chewing gum or just some treats like jelly babies or fruit pastille a.

Teardropexplodes Mon 08-May-17 23:01:57

Earplugs, eye mask, chewing gum, warm socks.

CaulkheadNorth Mon 08-May-17 23:24:44

One change at Nairobi.

Knitting needles are fine, I use wooden to be on the safe side but never had an issue.

Didn't think of sweets, excellent. I'll probably go with a bit more clothes than first thought in case my bag doesn't get to me.

Anything else?

CaulkheadNorth Mon 08-May-17 23:25:35

(Also change at Dubai)

AgentProvocateur Mon 08-May-17 23:26:09

Knickers, eye mask, kindle

CaulkheadNorth Mon 08-May-17 23:27:26

Yes! Kindle. Easier than a book.

Teardropexplodes Mon 08-May-17 23:30:37

I always carry emergency leggings and vest top in my hand luggage.

SnickersWasAHorse Mon 08-May-17 23:30:52

Earphones. Make sure you have a USB lead for your phone as often there are USB sockets on long haul.

CaulkheadNorth Mon 08-May-17 23:35:17

Excellent, thanks. I didn't know about the phone charger.
Haven't googled yet but imagining I can use Sterling in Dubai airport?

somethingwitty3432 Mon 08-May-17 23:38:00

Socks & spare warm clothes (they pump plane full of cold air after that long), baby wipes, moisturiser, eye mask, ear plugs, neck pillow (life saver), book/kindle, mouthwash, paracetamol, spray/perfume, puzzles/magazines, pen, paper. Cash.

jollyjester Mon 08-May-17 23:41:10

Flight socks. I tooko my trainers off on a flight to dubai once and couldn't get them back on!

Buy a large bottle of water when you get through security as there isn't always loads on flights.

I don't think sterling is accepted in dubai airport but this may have changed in the last couple of years.

Immodium tablets! (Nothing worse than needing them and not being able to get them)

Even that you are just in transit in dubai be careful taking any medication in your luggage. UAE is very strict about what they allow in.

Iamastonished Mon 08-May-17 23:45:24

Eye drops. My eyes get very dry in planes.

CaulkheadNorth Tue 09-May-17 07:13:03

What kind of eye drops iam? That would be useful

Iamastonished Tue 09-May-17 15:04:16

Any for dry eyes. There is a wide choice available these days.

bojorojo Tue 09-May-17 17:06:32

Why are you not going on a direct flight to Nairobi? That's about 8 hours and not so expensive with Kenya Airways. This seems like a massive expedition to Kenya!

FiveShelties Tue 09-May-17 17:13:43

I would check the knitting needles okay at Dubai. Am presently on flight from there to Auckland and security was very tight. They were pulling lots of people over for searching and I was taken off into a room because there was a problem with my passport not reading properly.

pombal Tue 09-May-17 17:16:31

Valium

Hefzi Tue 09-May-17 17:21:32

Facial sunscreen for when you arrive - though that's a really epic routing for Kenya: I hope it's because your return flight is only £200!

Also clean knickers, comb/hairbrush, noise cancelling headphones and facial oil. (I've got combination skin, but it suffers even so with flying and sleep deprivation)

MrsPeelyWaly Tue 09-May-17 17:30:59

Why are you not going on a direct flight to Nairobi? That's about 8 hours and not so expensive with Kenya Airways. This seems like a massive expedition to Kenya!

Im sure the OP has her reasons but I thought exactly the same as you. However, when you break it all up its not a 26 hour flight, its a medium haul to Dubai and a 5 hour flight to Nairobi then a wee hop to Kisumu. When you take the hanging around time out of it it makes a big difference to the actual length of the flight.

Someone mentioned the luggage allowance on internal flight in Kenya and its something you should read up on. I did an internal flight with Kenyan Airways just last week and was ok for luggage as I was travelling very light and I was flying business class but there were people who, like me, had come off international flights and they were repacking.

Dubai airport is a case of anything goes so yes, you can use sterling. You can also buy admittance to a premier lounge if youre not flying in a cabin that provides one automatically, it means you could freshen up before your next flight.

Kenyan airports are very poor and again you buy entry to a premier lounge that really is quite shameful but its at least better than sitting in departures, and again you can freshen up.

I dont know what to advise you re packing because I think they're such short flights they're not really worth the worry of what to pack. However, I would have one of those neck pillows for your 3 hour ground journey as the roads can be terrible and you don't have bounce around - snoozing would be uncomfortable.

Iamastonished Tue 09-May-17 19:13:14

"because I think they're such short flights they're not really worth the worry of what to pack."

Isn't UK to Dubai about 8 hours? I wouldn't class that as a short flight.

Reow Tue 09-May-17 19:25:26

Kindle
Earplugs
Eye mask
Spare undies
Light blanket
Lip balm
Warm socks
Face mist
Rehydration sachets
Snacks
Rescue remedy

tribpot Tue 09-May-17 19:33:48

Knitting needles are permitted now as you say, OP. Like you I used wooden or bamboo ones to be on the safe side, or go for crochet.

I took a cashmere wrap to use as a blanket, but wished I'd had a scarf to keep my neck warm, planes are always either too hot or too cold.

I wanted my bag to be better organised, I discovered - it contained stuff like a change of clothes that I knew I wasn't going to need en route, and then the actual stuff for the flight. Wish I had used some of my Specter packing cubes to hive off all the stuff I didn't actually want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now