Talk

Advanced search

Diving 20 hours with three year old

(14 Posts)
user1493075959 Mon 08-May-17 18:17:51

So this august we have planned a trip to P.E.I it's about an 18 hour drive straight there no stops, so we are looking at more 20 hours to get there with stops. Anyways we have a three year old son we are bringing with us does anyone have any tips on traveling with a small child for long drives.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Mon 08-May-17 18:22:26

Oh, driving! I was agog at the thought of a 20-hour dive with a 3yo.

I'm afraid I have no advice about the drive, as we don't have a car and never tackled such a long journey with little ones. Good luck!

skyzumarubble Mon 08-May-17 18:28:40

We don't do quite that far but have done 16 hours a lot since dts were 1 and it's ok. Now they're 6 the iPads come in handy but we had in car dvds from about 3 which kill a bit of time, story and nursery rhyme cds and sticker books are all good.

Snacks that take them a long time to eat - dry cheerios were always good.

Also used to take some little presents like Puppy in my pocket or any of those blind bags full of toot.

NotSoHankyPanky Mon 08-May-17 18:29:18

Try to do the majority through the night when they would be asleep anyway. In car DVD player might be worthwhile too. Good luck!

starsinyourpies Mon 08-May-17 18:32:04

Night time is the only way I would consider this.

Itmustbemyage Mon 08-May-17 23:11:38

Echo the pp saying drive through the night. As we have only one driver we never drove all through the night as we couldn't take turns driving. We have done long journeys mostly through the night though, we have done a big chunk of driving from about 6pm- 1am stopped for the night then carried on driving the next day.
We did it by dinner before car,drive a couple of hours stop for drink / snack and pyjamas on, consider putting a pull up on, settle down in the car seat with favourite cosy blankie and cuddly toy then drive as far as you safely can, our kids always slept, then stop at a Travelodge type of place about 1am. One person check in get the key etc the other one stays in the car then carry the kids straight in and pop them straight into bed. All sleep for a few hours. Then off you go again.
The roads tend to be quieter through the night, although you have to check for road works as they sometimes close main roads during the night and you then have to negotiate diversions. Also if the kids sleep you don't need to stop so often so you can really rack up the miles.
Yes to DVD player even better if they can wear ear phones.
TBH I wouldn't consider it if your 3 year old is not a chilled out type, trying to pacify an upset crying child that you can't take out of their seat to cuddle while driving down a motorway with no nearby services is hell for everyone.

2014newme Wed 17-May-17 21:15:19

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes!
Where is PE?

noramum Thu 18-May-17 12:52:13

I think you need to think of 25 hours at least. You need decent stops for all of you.

We sometimes drive from us to Hamburg or my mum in Germany (difference of 3 hours) and until last year always stopped overnight. This year we do it again, again with an overnight stop after 10+ hours as the destination is even further. DH and I hate night driving and I didn't want to be tired when DD was then happy and alert.

DD also gets easily travel sickness, so no books, activity/sticker books or ipad allowed. Our saviours are audiobooks or a DVD mounted at the passenger's headrest. And lots of games like I spy or other car journey games. When she was younger I also would sit with her in the back to entertain her a bit.

JigglyTuff Thu 18-May-17 12:57:28

Agree with overnight and that two hours of stops for 18 hours of driving is far too little.

I would start lunchtime-ish and carry on until midnight-ish, stop overnight and do the rest the following day with another late start.

You'd get there early evening the second day then.

Plan breaks around things to do if you can - find a park or playground so your 3 year old can have a run around.

Ipads and DVDs are usually my go to plus cheap toys from poundland

Waggamamma Thu 18-May-17 13:39:06

Seriously, i would break this journey over two days, with an overnight stop and day trip somewhere. That sort of distance isn't fair on a three year old or the driver to attempt in one go.

Where is P.E, can't you fly and then hire a car when you arrive?

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Fri 19-May-17 06:41:53

Prince Edward Island in Canada?

yikesanotherbooboo Fri 19-May-17 08:48:13

We would stop overnight somewhere and try to do larger section of journey on Day 1.
Start early on Day 1 eg 5am or even earlier so DC sleeps... stop at meal times and stop for good in early evening .., bit of a look round/ swim or park if available , eat in hotel as DC might be very sleepy ... up slightly less early on day 2 for driver's sake and do the same but you will be arriving earlier and can check in/ get settled and see the sea or whatever.
Totally agree about story tapes/ dvds/ surprises: snacks
Many is the time that FH and I have been engrossed in a story( even those aimed at littlies when the children have all been asleep.
Also while getting rhyme cds we found the sort of compilation of'family'songs eg grandma/ Ernie /Casey Jones/ Mary Poppins etc much more palatable for adults than the wheels on the bus ... Wiggles were just about acceptable in small doses

ihearttc Mon 05-Jun-17 17:43:26

Nothing to add except I am extremely jealous!

I have wanted to go to PEI ever since I was a little girl...I was obsessed with Anne of Green Gables!

toffeeboffin Mon 05-Jun-17 17:44:34

You're driving from Toronto?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now