Talk

Advanced search

Dubai in August am I mad?

(19 Posts)
startingtolooklikemother Sun 30-Apr-17 19:02:18

Hiya we went to Dubai in April and it was amazing and itching to go back. I've priced up the same hotel in August and with flights it's extremely reasonable, probably because it's bloody scorchio
So my question is if you are literally going for a week to be in the pool is it bearable?

startingtolooklikemother Mon 01-May-17 07:44:37

Bump

HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 01-May-17 07:54:00

Depends upon what you can bear. Average temp of 37 degrees and extreme humidity isn't my idea of fun but you might be ok with it if you acclimatise quickly?

RedSandYellowSand Mon 01-May-17 07:56:13

Nope. The pool is like a bathtub, even at 6pm, unless it's chilled. The floor is too hot to wall across barefoot -, you need shoes the second you step out of the pool.
There is a reason it is "cheap" and that is it's to sodding hot.

I'm flying out of the Middle East mid June, and will return mid August.
June, August and September school runs fill me with dread.

tribpot Mon 01-May-17 07:56:55

Weirdly someone else asked the same question very recently. I wonder if two posters have seen the same offer?

RedSandYellowSand Mon 01-May-17 07:59:04

Average temp of 37 is missleading. It is already peaking above 40, and "dropping" to 30 at night. And it's got about another 10C if heating up to do.

Thereturningwonderer Mon 01-May-17 09:56:21

Staff at our resort at Christmas advised us to avoid July/August as previously, their shoes had melted. Even the locals escape at that time of year.

Mirandafart Mon 01-May-17 09:59:54

I went in August a few years ago and av temp that week was 52 degrees. It was too hot for me to even sit in the shade around the pool before 6pm, even at night it was very humid. Everyone looked at me like shock when I told them I was going there in August and they were right! Would go back but in the cooler months.

Thingvellir Mon 01-May-17 10:23:58

You would be utterly mad to go there in summer. Words cannot describe just how unpleasant temps up to 55 degrees are!

The only people who stay in the ME in July and August are the ones who can't afford to leave or can't take time off work. Or one miserable August in my case, are too pregnant to fly back...

mateysmum Mon 01-May-17 10:30:52

Yes you are mad. There's a reason the prices are reasonable!

The pools are chilled but you won't want to walk to the pool or sit next to it. It is far to hot and humid.

Even in the evening it is too humid to sit outside and still in the mid 30c's in the middle of the night.

Chavelita Mon 01-May-17 10:34:48

Completely mad, unless your idea of a holiday is sitting in your air-conditioned hotel then taking a sweaty taxi to an air-conditioned shopping mall. The heat is unbearable at that time of year.

UnbornMortificado Mon 01-May-17 10:36:32

My friends parents moved over there. They go to France every July-August even now and they've been over 7 years.

April1984 Mon 01-May-17 10:37:45

I live here and nope! Unless v v v v cheap! Most people leave. I'm due then so I am here confused

April1984 Mon 01-May-17 10:38:40

I know people who do tho!...but it's def much more than 37 degrees. It's that now.

Crumbs1 Mon 01-May-17 10:43:07

We went for work in August and enjoyed it enormously- although February was easier. It was also Ramadan so quite subdued. The pool in our hotel was cooled, so fine. The sea was like a bath but still pleasant. Everything is air conditioned so not an issue in malls etc.

bojorojo Sun 07-May-17 20:36:02

Ramadan is not a fixed month. It changes. It was Ramadan in October when we went. However, August is a no, no! We were told it is 50 degrees at that time but the Govt won't admit it to tourists! You are really wasting your money just to stay in air conditioned buildings!

SJane45S Tue 09-May-17 15:22:52

If all of the above 'no's' haven't convinced you, here's another one. I grew up there and it's as hot as hell in August. Don't bother!

MulderitsmeX Mon 22-May-17 22:25:39

Totally mad!! I had a 2 day stop over last August and it was literally too hot to stand outside for even 5 mins. Even at night it was too hot to sit outside.

Saying that we mostly did a lot on indoor stuff / were in th4 desert which is slightly cooler.

Would go another time if indeed you!!

Excited101 Mon 22-May-17 22:27:17

Don't do it. I was on holiday there a few weeks ago and it hit 43. It was seriously unpleasant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now