Talk

Advanced search

Dubai with toddler & baby

(19 Posts)
MiniAlphaBravo Wed 26-Apr-17 17:37:20

Not sure if it's strictly long haul but.... is dubai a good place to go for a week with a toddler 2.9 and a 7 month old baby? We would like a luxurious holiday with warm weather in sept/oct/nov but sept looks much more affordable- possibly as it's too hot!! Any advice? Looking at staying at le meridian al aqah which is out of the city and just on the beach. Thanks in advance. Any other ideas much appreciated!

Kennethnoisewater Wed 26-Apr-17 17:41:32

We are staying there next month so I'll let you know what it's like!

RedSandYellowSand Wed 26-Apr-17 17:51:09

October would best weather wise.
Consider Oman as well.
Eid is around 1st September, so it's likely to be busy early in Sept. Later is better if you do go in Sept.

MiniAlphaBravo Wed 26-Apr-17 18:04:53

Thanks both! I will def look at October and was considering later in soet but good to know about eid. Ramadan in August will be a challenge then....!

Thanks kenneth look forward to hearing!

RedSandYellowSand Wed 26-Apr-17 18:24:52

Ramadan starts late May, finished late June. Eid al-Fitr is about 25 June. Yes, it's going to be tough for those fasting. Our schools (Saudi) have all just announced they are shutting for the summer holidays 25 May, and not reopening until after Eid al-Adha in September. Nearly 4 months off school!

Eid al-Adha follows the month of Hajj. That falls in Aug/Sept this year.

MiniAlphaBravo Wed 26-Apr-17 18:29:04

Oh wow thanks for that RedSand that's a huge break.

Kennethnoisewater Wed 26-Apr-17 18:56:47

It's Ramadan when we go which is reflected in the prices! Not big drinkers though, and not at all during the day so no hardship there.

MiniAlphaBravo Wed 26-Apr-17 19:32:04

Do either of you know what the attitude to breastfeeding in public would be? Baby will be about 7 months so would probably still need a couple of feeds in the day. Don't mind wearing a muslin/cover but don't want to feel like it's really frowned upon iyswim. Thanks

RuthB4 Sun 30-Apr-17 10:55:42

I'm following this with interest as we are planning a 2 night stopover in dubai in late Sept and then again in early November on the return journey. We'll have a 2 year old and 5 month old. I'm also interested to hear about the breastfeeding!

RedSandYellowSand Sun 30-Apr-17 11:32:55

Sorry, don't know on feeding. In Saudi, you would need to hide - but that could be in a curtained off booth in a restaurant​, or in the ladies mosque.

Starface Sun 30-Apr-17 11:49:56

I went there breastfeeding, was fine under a cover. Went with two a similar gap. Enjoyed the beach. Found things quite far apart so tbh just spent a lot of time on the beach/pools. The malls were a lot of walking and found diera old town etc wasn't great with a child sleeping in the buggy, as couldn't go on boat or museums that were up stairs. But was perfectly good as a destination. Food was good which was a big plus for us.

Starface Sun 30-Apr-17 11:52:03

Oh i forgot to say on the metro people were racing to be helpful in giving up seats etc. From that point of view, general family friendliness, it gets a big thumbs up. Much better than London in that respect.

April1984 Sun 30-Apr-17 11:56:00

Hi I live in Dubai with my toddler. September is still pretty hot. October is ok. November is much better. I breastfed and no problems. In fact it's encouraged. You don't notice it a lot tho. I always used a cover and was discrete more than the UK to reduce possibility of flesh on show. There's plenty of feeding rooms too in the malls if you want total privacy. It's very pro children here. Great place for a hot holiday.

heinztomatosoup Sun 30-Apr-17 12:00:26

Le meridian al aqah is in Fujairah not Dubai. It is over an hour from Dubai, in the middle of nowhere. It is a lovely hotel however. October would still be very hot for baby, mid November onwards much better. Hth

feesh Sun 30-Apr-17 12:05:04

September is hideous, I would avoid September and October if you can (I live here).

MiniAlphaBravo Sun 30-Apr-17 16:09:07

Thank you for all the feedback. Yes I realized that resort wasn't in Dubai, oops blush now been looking at central Dubai. I think we are gonna go for it just looking at whether we can afford to go later in the year.

JoandMax Sun 30-Apr-17 16:13:00

September is still really hot so I would definitely advise coming later if you can.

Breastfeeding is fine as long as you have a cover or a muslin, generally though Dubai is very child and family friendly so it's a great place to go with kids your ages.

Glad you've seen Al Aqah isn't close - it's a lovely place to go but I've never done the drive in less than 2 hours!!

HumpHumpWhale Sun 30-Apr-17 16:14:57

Le royal meridien in dubai is great. We went in February with our then 8 month old and 3.5 year old. You could just stay in the hotel - on the beach, 3 pools, kids club for when you need a break from the sun, 9 restaurants - or from there you're within walking distance of the marina or jumeirah beach, so lots of restaurants etc there. I breastfed in the mall, on the beach, by the pool. Totally fine.

MrsPeelyWaly Sun 30-Apr-17 16:19:00

Come to Oman and stay in the Al Waha.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now