Talk

Advanced search

Sand Key vs Clearwater Beach

(6 Posts)
Pennina Sat 22-Apr-17 23:24:57

We are planning our first trip to Florida this summer and will be spending three weeks there. 2 weeks at Clearwater as a base (with various day trips from there) and one week at Disney. Very special trip and not something that we would be able to afford to do again in the near future! I've been looking at self catering accommodation in the Clearwater area and have noticed that Sand Key seems to be cheaper and, from what I can tell, a little less hectic. Our kids are 12 and 13. Does anyone have any experience of the area and can give me your opinions as to which is the better place to stay?

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Sat 22-Apr-17 23:33:23

I'm no help what so ever as a first timer this year so just marking my place - sorry

Sunnydaysrock Tue 25-Apr-17 13:39:53

We are going to Florida next summer. Having been to Orlando several times, we are doing 2 weeks in Orlando and a week in Clearwater. We've been to the area lots but never stayed. We have just booked a holiday cottage on this site www.vacationclearwaterbeach.com. Our priority (other than pool and cleanliness) was being able to walk to the beach, also there is entertainment/restaurants near by at Pier 60 so the evenings will be great too. Sorry can't compare with Sand Key but can guarantee Clearwater is gorgeous!

Radiatorvalves Tue 25-Apr-17 13:52:50

Not sure this will help, but we stayed at the Sand Pearl in clearwater 3 years ago. It was fab. I would go back there tomorrow - but can't say the same for disney! It wasn't hectic - but we were towards end of August when the US schools had gone back.

MsGameandWatch Thu 27-Apr-17 17:36:48

Clearwater was the most beautiful and laid back place I have ever been. It's my dream holiday destination. It can get a bit crowded on the beach near to the town itself but quietens right down when you further up towards Caladesi National Park. The only thing with that though is no lifeguards, so no warning if things have become hazardous or there are potentially dangerous wildlife in the water. We chanced it and were fine though.

ihatethecold Sun 30-Apr-17 20:42:41

Sand key is great. I've stayed at the Marriott a few years ago.
There is an amazing diner next door called Maggie Mays.
We still talk about our breakfasts there.
The balconies look over the water and you can watch the dolphins.
There is a bus that stops outside regularly to take you up and down the coast.

I've also stayed at the Hilton on Clearwater beach that also nice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: