Talk

Advanced search

Any resort/hotel recommendations for Antigua, please?

(26 Posts)
BIWI Sun 09-Apr-17 16:04:30

DH and I looking to go in late September. No DC to worry about grin, but not especially interested in adults-only either.

I've found several hotels that look interesting on the BA website - and they seem to fly direct (unlike Virgin, who I would prefer to fly with), but I know nothing about the island and where it's best to stay.

Any previous experiences - good or bad - gratefully received!

TIA

BIWI Sun 09-Apr-17 17:36:24

Have been doing a bit of research and have realised that September probably isn't the best month to go, because it's still in the hurricane season.

Chasingsquirrels Sun 09-Apr-17 17:53:02

We've flown both BA and Virgin direct.
Both times mid-February and fantastic weather.

We stayed at Halcyon Cove (£1,100 pp all inclusive inc flights 2 years ago), and had a lovely holiday - but I don't think I'd recommend it. I was 42, and probably the youngest person there by 20 years. Pool didn't look great, we didn't go in it. Absolutely beautiful beach though (Dickonson Bay).
The food was okay and it was only breakfast, lunch (good) and dinner (mediocre) - no snacks, no ice cream etc through the day.

I can't remember where we stayed last year, but again a good holiday, I can look out the name if you want (around £1,250 all inclusive inc flights). I think it has changed to Adults Only now, it was a Beaches resort. I'd go there again. The food was better, there were more options - the buffet restaurant for all meals plus a bbq area at lunch and an Al a carte for dinner and there was a snack bar open all day as well with chips, burgers etc and cookies and ice creams.

We were planning on going to The Veranda this year, it had been on our list before but was more expensive and we werent convinced. It was quite near to the one we went to last year and we went and had a walk around and it was lush.

BIWI Sun 09-Apr-17 17:57:38

Ooh - The Verandah is one I've been looking at! Mind you, I've found out when it's October half term, just by looking at the prices grin Prices triple then shock

Chasingsquirrels Sun 09-Apr-17 20:07:29

DH nearly booked it while we were still there last year!

Longdistance Sun 09-Apr-17 20:09:45

Grand Pineapple beach hotel.

Mary's shack (?)

I may be bias as my Dh proposed to me at Shirley Heights 💍

muminmanchester Sun 09-Apr-17 20:16:06

We honeymooned at st James Club and loved it. Definitely go to Shirley Heights on a Sunday night for the sunset party x

BIWI Sun 09-Apr-17 20:23:12

Thank you! Will check those out now

mrsmonkey14 Sun 09-Apr-17 20:27:54

We didn't like the verandah! Weird atmosphere. Spent second half of holiday on other side of island in cool hotel called sugar ridge, which I def would recommend, was amazing. Esp for adults. (We went pre kids). Have an amazing time.
We hired a car and explored all over the island, v easy to go to diff beaches etc.

BIWI Sun 09-Apr-17 20:45:24

Good to know. When you say weird, can you be a bit more specific?!

And we'll be going post kids (both of us late 50s), if that makes any difference? grin

Thomasthetank456 Sun 09-Apr-17 20:49:36

It was a few years ago now but blue waters was lovely got went to a wedding there

Chasingsquirrels Sun 09-Apr-17 21:58:09

Ah yes Grand Pineapple - that was where we went last year.

helpneededormaybegin Sun 09-Apr-17 22:09:31

Grand Pineapple too. YY to Mary's shack!

mrsmonkey14 Sun 09-Apr-17 23:05:24

Sorry OP! Verandah - staff were miserable, food a bit crap, didn't have great atmosphere. Rooms not particularly 'lux'. Would say it's pretty geared towards families so there are probably better resorts for couples.

2014newme Mon 10-Apr-17 11:57:35

Blue Waters we stayed at.
We went breakfast only and ate out but they do all inclusive if you want it.
Lovely resort.
Think verandah may be one the wrong side of the island?
James club good for families.

BIWI Mon 10-Apr-17 13:14:05

What is the right side, and why is it the right side?

2014newme Mon 10-Apr-17 13:22:04

The sunset side

Stopyourhavering Thu 13-Apr-17 11:06:36

Grand Pineapple ....fabulous beach, get a beach view room.....we flew direct with Virgin ( worth upgrading to Premium economy too!)
Would love to go back.....although we're off to Seychelles in September this year without kids!

BIWI Thu 13-Apr-17 13:19:23

Is it this one? Seems to be called pineapple beach now

Chasingsquirrels Thu 13-Apr-17 13:36:28

Yes that the one.

Ollycat Thu 13-Apr-17 13:37:57

We went to the Verandah last year - had a great time.

Ollycat Thu 13-Apr-17 13:42:45

Verandah, Pineapple and St James' are all owned by same company.

Longdistance Mon 17-Apr-17 21:29:01

Yes, BIWI.

Loved it there when we stayed. Loads of excursions to do too.

I do wonder if Slinger the Singer still sings individually to couples at their tables.

Mary's shack was great for lunch.

Shirley's Heights on a Sunday.

Brings back so many great memories.

Was one of the best holidays I've ever had 🌞

icelollycraving Thu 11-May-17 19:42:22

We love The Verandah, it's v special to us as where we got married. I would love to go back! no money anymore

wordlemcfuddle Sat 13-May-17 16:43:41

Go the week before/after half term prices drop massively and October is ok weather.
We stayed at CoCo Bay, little bungalows v nice but quiet.

I found it the most beautiful island I have been to but not the atmosphere of jamaica or Barbados.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now