Talk

Advanced search

your best easter long haul experience advice please

(11 Posts)
Igletpiglet Mon 03-Apr-17 15:42:13

Hallo all,

I am hoping that someone reading this will say ' i went here and it was great ' , and i'll call expedia and see whether iberia and their pals can get us there under the T&Cs...

long story short -
we were planning a trip to ecuador to introduce the 3 kids 5 and under to the ecuadorian family. dad poorly, mum ( ecuadorian and one of 8) becoming forgetful, so we spent a lot to travel as a group for a one off trip as unlikely to happen again.

El niNo and flooding in the area means that quito is under state of emergency, (just declared, note landslides in colombia yesterday) but as foreign office website don't say that it's not recommending not to travel, insurance won't cover under catastrophe cover.

SO we have £4000 to reschedule to a long haul destination - that iberia fly to! to be booked for 3 days time! or we lose the £.
Any good experiences please let me know - we are meant to fly in 2 days and i just haven;t had the time to google as I would normally.

I think safest to avoid central and south america as el nino is caning the poor people & roads there at the moment.

I was hoping to get to sri lanka and thailand area but no availability unsuprisingly at this short notice.

thanks so much
fingers crossed.

Igletpiglet Mon 03-Apr-17 16:50:07

has anyone flown long haul at easter?

Teds77 Mon 03-Apr-17 18:41:08

I hope you manage to sort something!

If you are ruling are central and South America then I'd probably see where they can get you to in the States. Southern California should be okay weather-wise and you could definitely fill two weeks and it's probably relatively easy with small kids.

We're looking at Easter next year as a good time to do South West USA - all the various National Parks around Utah/Arizona/Nevada. May would be better weather but kids only get a one week holiday.

Other than that I guess South Africa is great and I really fancy Japan and Easter would be an okay time to go. Just really depends on where Iberia fly to?!

Good luck!

ajandjjmum Mon 03-Apr-17 18:55:53

Can you not re-schedule the flight to a later time (summer?) and do a short trip at Easter?

What a worrying time if you have family affected.

MummaGiles Mon 03-Apr-17 19:07:44

I think there's a map on iberia's website of where they fly?

Igletpiglet Mon 03-Apr-17 19:08:46

Thanks teds and ajandjjmum...
it's crazy - i can't just call expedia and say : here are my dates , where does iberia have availability then?
they want destination first then search of availability... sooo slow.

very luckily my family are unaffected... feel very sorry for those who have been affected all up and down central and south america.

budgiegirl Tue 04-Apr-17 07:18:31

We flew to Miami last Easter with Iberia, although we had to change in Madrid - it was fine though . Amazing staff, they were so kind to my son when he became ill on the flight home.

The weather at that time was lovely - warm/hot , not too humid.

ihatethecold Tue 04-Apr-17 07:38:25

Can you get to Mexico with Iberia?
I'm going on Sunday and the weather looks great.

Iamastonished Tue 04-Apr-17 08:11:05

It wasn't Easter, but in April when we went to Hong Kong and Bali. It was fabulous.

WhatHaveIFound Fri 07-Apr-17 08:16:32

What about Cuba? Do Iberia fly there? I've spent two Easters there and the weather has been perfect. Great country, friendly people and plenty to do. It's quite popular at the moment so you might be up against availability though.

Igletpiglet Fri 04-Aug-17 09:32:36

Thankyou- in the end we went last minute with Thompson - no deal- to
Mallorca- all inclusive for first time - we were sick of the thought of losing all the money as well as time we had spent frantically looking by then- the hotel
Was called insotel Cala mandia. Not too full at this time but Poss capacity to be rammed later in year. We learned that at Easter the pool was fureezing( even with kids in wetsuits) and there are maybe 1 or 2warmed pools on whole of Mallorca ( heating is approx £60 / day) . However literally everything else- other people/ food/ accommodation/ private beach / even kids club and show after - were just glorious and we really did manage to relax. The staff of the hotel were a- may- zing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now