Talk to me about Dubai.

(14 Posts)
GandolfBold Sat 01-Apr-17 17:00:05

Have been spending ages and ages looking at holidays in Dubai for next February.

I am not a massive fan of beach holidays, but I know there is so much to do in Dubai I am not worried. Will we all melt though?

ZaraW Sat 01-Apr-17 17:18:51

February is cool and pleasant. Depends what you want out of a holiday three days in Dubai is enough for me. I'd much rather spend a week or two in Oman.

Blondie1984 Sat 01-Apr-17 17:21:06

Or Abu Dhabi

maitaimojito Sat 01-Apr-17 17:30:24

I've been at the end of January and didn't find it too hot. The temperature was in the teens on an evening and we needed a cardigan/jumper if we sat outside at a restaurant.

If you're out sightseeing I'd say the temperature is just right at that time of year.

We did 5 days as a stop off and found that we had just the right amount of time. We went to the Dubai Mall/Fountains/Burj Khalifa, the souks and Dubai creek area, Atlantis water park. I have friends and family that have done the dune buggy day and horse races as well.

If you head across to Abu Dhabi I've heard that the mosque and Ferrari world are worth a visit. I think it's about an hour's taxi ride away.

If you enjoy Indian food I'd really recommend Indego restaurant. Pricy but it was one of the best meals I've ever had.

Tartle Sat 01-Apr-17 18:14:02

I think it's pretty boring to be honest. No culture, just skyscrapers, malls and fake beaches. Ok for winter sun bit otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I also hate the attitude towards the staff in restaurants and hotels. Everyone in a service role is south or south East Asian and they are treated pretty badly.

I have to go for work but wouldn't go for a holiday.

GandolfBold Sat 01-Apr-17 18:39:43

Where would you recommend for a week of winter sun where it is warm enough to swim?

bojorojo Sat 01-Apr-17 21:40:46

Any lovely Caribbean Island. The BVIs are my favourite. South Africa or Mexico. Costa Rica is worth looking at too.

LambChopsMcGee Sun 02-Apr-17 11:32:28

I have travelled quite a lot in the UAE and I don't think it is boring. There is culture -- if you want that. Lots of people go there and are happy to just be in a warm place and go to the beach clubs and things, but there is much more.

I think Feb would be find temperature wise. I have been at different times of year. I found October and April a little warm, but December, Jan up to March pleasant.

It's worth getting out into the desert and other Emirates if you can. Arabian Adventures arrange touristy things into the desert, dune bashing, traditional dinners etc. My personal favourite thing was a trip (starting from the Hilton in Ras Al Khaimah, but your hotel in Dubai could arrange) up to the Musandam, an exclave within Oman right up the tip of the country. A dhow trip and swimming in the water off the boat was a beautiful day. Kids would love that, too.

TheOriginalChatelaine Mon 10-Apr-17 15:37:25

Try Cuba.

2014newme Tue 11-Apr-17 09:31:51

Perfect time of year for Caribbean.
Abu Dhabi interests me though

highinthesky Tue 11-Apr-17 09:37:41

Tartle posted my thoughts exactly.

Its a disgustingly materialistic culture, and not for me.

Destinysdaughter Tue 11-Apr-17 09:40:10

Try Goa, lovely beaches and v warm in February!

Destinysdaughter Tue 11-Apr-17 09:42:31

South Goa in Feb!

Lushmetender Thu 20-Apr-17 10:00:06

I went to Dubai for honeymoon and enjoyed it but too hot in August. Feb should be ok. I think there are better places to visit but one persons tastes can be different to others. We stayed at jumeirah beach and a good water park beside it. Food was lovely - all tastes catered for. We went on a day tour around Dubai but take care re market. Hubby ate a date and was ill for duration so take usual precautions. I'm not big into jewellery so souks a bit boring for me. Went on the sand jeep safari in the desert with an evening in the desert - camel ride, sand boarding, belly dancing, henna tattooing etc. Friends stayed at burj al Arab but said the butler service was too much. They've been back several times due to work but say they don't like it. Again like marmite, love it or you hate it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now