Talk

Advanced search

Dubai in August - are we crazy?

(36 Posts)
sm40 Tue 28-Mar-17 14:43:10

Want to go back this year. Last time we went in October. Thinking of December this time . However £1k+ cheaper in August. How hot is it in August? Bearing in mind we have survived a 7 day 40c + heatwave in oz, with not much air conditioning. Can you sit outside at all or do you need to be in the water the whole time? Is it humid? (Dry heat in oz).

LIZS Tue 28-Mar-17 14:45:58

It can top 40-50o c , most expats return for the summer months as you can't really go outside.

thekingfisher Tue 28-Mar-17 14:46:31

it will melt you

thekingfisher Tue 28-Mar-17 14:46:50

litterrerlly

ajandjjmum Tue 28-Mar-17 14:49:28

I think it will be too hot to really enjoy.

Janus Tue 28-Mar-17 14:49:40

Yes you are crazy!!! Husband works there and goes twice a month but he won't go in August at all! To be fair, I don't think it's much different from July or September but December would be much more 'pleasant'. As said, all expats come home (if they can) for the whole month, often longer.

GavelRavel Tue 28-Mar-17 14:52:00

I went once at the end of June. It was touching 50 most days, sometimes more. TBH we were fine as enjoy and used to the heat, but all you could do was sit by the pool and it would have been terrible for young children i think. The hotels handle it well as I recall with lots of shaded areas and air-conditioning unts etc, but i think it would limit the holiday a bit and if you went with kids they wouldn't be able to run around as much etc. Assuming August is as hot.

Macarena1990 Tue 28-Mar-17 14:56:58

We go every year in July/August. Yes its scorching, but still very enjoyable as they are so geared up to cope with the heat.

KatharinaRosalie Tue 28-Mar-17 14:57:33

Crazy. Last year in August the temperatures were between 40-50 for the entire month. Yes you can probably 'survive' but why would you go somewhere that's just about survivable, that's not a holiday.

RedSandYellowSand Tue 28-Mar-17 14:58:27

It's cheeper in August for a reason. Noone wants to go, as its too hot. By August I would expect the humidity to be starting to rise, and the temperature to be 50+.
I 2ill be leaving the ME as soon as school is out, and returning a week before school is back (Mid August). I take the kids to school, swim at 8am, and then stay under the AC as far as possible (home bus, mall) until the temperature drops slightly at 4, when we venture back to the pool - which is the temperature of a bath unless it's chilled.

sm40 Tue 28-Mar-17 15:02:32

We don't do much on holiday! Pool, water park, beach, repeat!!! I know all the locals leave. 50 is a bit hot though. Would be end of August going into September.
Where else is warm in October (well Halloween week) or mid December which are when I would prefer to go away!

RedSandYellowSand Tue 28-Mar-17 15:33:05

December you need to go near the equator, or to the Southern hemisphere to get sun.

October: Cyprus, Morocco, Tunisia, Disney Florida????. I love Oman, as a slight change to Dubai.

Cantseethewoods Tue 28-Mar-17 15:37:07

I used to live there. August is too hot to even sit by the pool, and humid, even though you'd think that's impossible due to it being a desert. Its hard to describe the heat. The air is thick. I used to have to psych myself up to go to the car.

Sunnydaysrock Tue 28-Mar-17 15:37:48

Second Cyprus and Florida.

Hersetta427 Tue 28-Mar-17 15:38:41

I have a friend with an apartment in Dubai and he wouldn't dream of going in August. You can go to lovely places in the med in August that won't be 50 degrees.

October - hurghada in Egypt would be great some on the hotels have their own amazing water parks (the jaz aquaviva is lovely).

Madbengalmum Tue 28-Mar-17 15:39:04

Errr yes! Crazy you are.

FrenchLavender Tue 28-Mar-17 15:41:19

It's cheap in August for a reason. Plus many of the outdoor based attractions won't even be running due to the heat. Honestly, save your money, it will be hellish.

Frazzled2207 Tue 28-Mar-17 16:03:15

Go in October instead?

toffeeboffin Tue 28-Mar-17 16:05:00

Sounds bloody horrendous.

sm40 Tue 28-Mar-17 17:28:42

Erm so not many fans. Did USA last year. Isn't it hurricane season in October in Florida. Maybe Mauritius in October ? Or Caribbean in December. Could do Europe in the summer but not been well and wanted to really look forward to something! Dubai was my exception on price grounds!!

Macarena1990 Tue 28-Mar-17 21:04:13

Honestly I think its fine. I found the temperature in Florida/carribean far less tolerable actually. We have taken all 3 of our children as small as tiny babies and they have all been fine too!

dailystuck71 Wed 29-Mar-17 13:25:06

We did a week en-route to Perth, WA when we emigrated. Its a different heat to Australia and not something I enjoyed to be honest.

Smurfpoo Wed 29-Mar-17 13:29:40

Aren't there public holidays in august / september time when a lot of Dubai shuts down?
I may be talking out my arse though as I've never been, just something an expat friend said once

Tweennightmare Wed 29-Mar-17 13:38:51

Hi SM40 I live in Dubai and Dubai in August is not something to look forward to! Way too hot as everyone has said and if you have been ill you may find it even more draining than it normally is. So many great places in Europe I would visit instead (we are off to Croatia and can't wait). Save your money and come over in November/December when you can really enjoy Dubai . Smurfpoo your friend would have been talking about Ramadan it moves 11 days every year so is now in May/June although second eid will be at the end of August/beginning of September which is a big Muslim holiday in Dubai but everything will be open just tourist attractions will be extra busy

LiveLifeWithPassion Wed 29-Mar-17 13:46:38

We went with an early waking 1 yr old a few yrs back.
We were at the beach at 7am ish and by 10 the sand would be burning your feet.
We d go for breakfast then chill until after dcs nap then head out to the malls and then sit by the pool and swim late afternoon.
It was ok for the 4 days we were there but wouldn't go now that we want to be doing stuff during the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now