Talk

Advanced search

Vietnam or South Africa?

(12 Posts)
Move2yorkshire Wed 22-Mar-17 18:35:56

Next year we are planning to take a 2 week long trip but really can't decide between Vietnam or South Africa.
We have been to South Africa before but only for a week safari. We loved it but Vietnam also appeals.
Anyone got experience of either?

Clarence81 Thu 23-Mar-17 17:19:20

I would say South Africa but then I go regularly and can't wait to retire there. Never been to Vietnam. I love South Africa because it has so much for all ages and a range of things to see and do. I do something different every time I go.

PotteringAlong Thu 23-Mar-17 17:20:10

Vietnam!

Eastpoint Thu 23-Mar-17 17:20:58

I've been to both in August. Who is travelling?

Zampa Thu 23-Mar-17 17:21:39

DH and I did a 2 week trip from Bangkok, through Cambodia and finished up in Vietnam. It was an amazing trip and would highly recommend it.

bojorojo Tue 28-Mar-17 00:57:05

I would say the wildlife in SA is amazing and there is huge variety with the garden route, Cape Town, the winelands, stunning views and countryside, whales off Hermanus and the Drakensburgs being definite highlights.

I think Vietnam is more about culture and beach resorts as well as fantastic countryside and a different way of life. It is less of a wildlife destination and, like South Africa, has a fascinating (if unhappy) recent history.

Do both! You won't regret either.

AnotherEmma Tue 28-Mar-17 01:04:06

Vietnam! Absolutely beautiful country, plus you've already been to South Africa.

My highlights of Vietnam were Sapa, Halong Bay and Hoi An. And the food is great.

Unless you want to see wildlife I think Vietnam wins... although I must confess I've never been to South Africa.

ShanghaiDiva Tue 28-Mar-17 13:32:50

Vietnam - great food and a fascinating country.
Agree with Emma - Hoi An is beautiful. Be aware that Sapa will be really wet if you plan to go to Vietnam in the summer next year.

murphys Tue 28-Mar-17 13:50:25

I live in SA so naturally I would say come here... grin

What time of the year were you thinking of OP?

InMySpareTime Tue 28-Mar-17 14:00:50

Vietnam

bojorojo Tue 28-Mar-17 14:07:37

If you have just done a safari though, you have not "done" South Africa. There is so much more to see and the countryside is fantastic. It is relatively cheap to do anything and the wine estates are a must. If you are planning to go in the summer, that is the winter in SA so beaches are not really on the agenda on the Garden Route. The guesthouses in SA are also a wonderful treat. Much better than hotels!

murphys Tue 28-Mar-17 14:31:31

Agree Bojo, far more to offer than just wildlife here.

OP, will just put it here so that its something to consider. The time of the year is something to keep in mind as well. If you are thinking of coming in peak season here (so that would be Easter holidays and Christmas holiday time) then things are going to be a lot more busy and more expensive (accommodation wise). If its during June/July which iirc is your longer holiday, its winter here, so not really beachy weather as already mentioned. Best times in my opinion would be feb-april and sept-november. Not to hot then, but still nice weather and not peak time here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now