Talk

Advanced search

Tell me something exciting to do in New York!

(17 Posts)
loveka Wed 22-Mar-17 16:54:50

I'm going on business. I will have an afternoon and evening, and one whole ish day to myself.

I went a few months ago and was a bit underwhelmed. But I probably chose the wrong stuff. I walked Brooklyn Bridge and went on the Statton Island ferry, but the weather was a bit shit. I think I want to have a good look at Central Park this time, and go up the Rockefeller Centre maybe.

I want to do something that will make me love New York!

PoptartPoptart Wed 22-Mar-17 21:53:07

See a show on Broadway?

MadisonAvenue Wed 22-Mar-17 21:55:19

Book to go up the Freedom Tower.

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Wed 22-Mar-17 21:57:39

Hire a bicycle and cycle round Central Park

bramblina Wed 22-Mar-17 21:59:14

Walk the Highline- my fave. Free, too. Visit the 9/11 memorial museum- very sympathetically done. Go up TOTR just before sunset and wait for the evening lights, it's stunning.

Oh how envious I am.....I just love it there. Have a wonderful time!!

SellFridges Wed 22-Mar-17 22:00:18

Highline. A walk round Greenwich. Beers in Brooklyn - I like Williamsburg.

titchy Wed 22-Mar-17 22:26:11

Highline in the afternoon, then up the Rock or Empire State then a show. Next day Greenwich village in morning, somewhere nice for lunch then bus via Times Square to Central Park.

KeepCalm Wed 22-Mar-17 22:48:35

Another Highline vote here.

MrsEricBana Wed 22-Mar-17 22:56:48

Yes Highline taking in Chelsea Market and Gansevoort Market then wander through Meatpacking district, West Village, Greenwich Village and Soho.
Also, without doubt the Guggenheim Museum - take lift up to the top and spiral down. You could then walk down Madison Avenue window shopping and buy a treat to eat at Dean & Delucca.
MoMA - cool cafe there too.
Walk or cycle round Central Park (I think walking best as if you cycle you have to stick to the perimeter road) and have coffee at Tavern on the Green.
Rockefeller Center tour inc visit to Top of the Rock.

Diamondsandpurls Wed 22-Mar-17 22:58:02

Cafe wha for cavern style live music?

EllieFredrickson Wed 22-Mar-17 22:59:30

Yes to Highline - our favourite. Burger at Shake Shack at the park by The Flatiron good fun too and seemed to be full of locals.

JaneEyre70 Wed 22-Mar-17 23:04:05

I'd happily spend a day just meandering around Central Park - we saw families out playing ball, joggers, tourists, couples getting married....all walks of life. The Met Museum is pretty special too, especially the Zen gardens on the top floor. A real oasis in a crazy city.
We did the 9/11 Museum, which was breathtaking. Such a beautiful tribute, then we wandered through the financial district and Wall Street towards Brooklyn Bridge.
And window shopping in Soho - the lovely cobbled streets and designer shops are a treat for the eyes too.
And def the High Line.

LouisevilleLlama Wed 22-Mar-17 23:06:08

Lived in Ling Island for a year each time I went to the city I made sure to see sumset on the Rockefeller centre - better at night IMO

loveka Thu 23-Mar-17 18:58:08

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I like the idea of the Highline. And everything else too... Too little time for everything!

bojorojo Tue 28-Mar-17 01:04:12

You can do the High Line in an afternoon and go North to South. Stay out for dinner in SoHo. Somewhere like The Mercer Kitchen is really buzzy.

The next day I think MoMa, Guggenheim and the Met are all great ideas as is Central Park and Top of the Rock. You won't have time for everything so see what suits you best in terms of your interests.

We found Broadway shows to be expensive and if you can't get tickets to see what you want, then swerve. If you can, go.

ChangingStates Tue 28-Mar-17 01:32:38

See 'Sleep no More- production by emursive. Immersive theatre

ZaraW Sat 01-Apr-17 17:24:28

Do a tour with Bike the Big Apple. We went to Harlem and joined in a church service, ate at a soul food restaurant and cycled round Central Park. We also did two separate bike tours through Brooklyn nothing like seeing NY with a local. Food tours are also great we did one of Greenwich Village amazing food and the tour leaders were fan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now