Talk

Advanced search

Safari's

(9 Posts)
DangerousMouse Wed 22-Mar-17 12:54:25

We are thinking of safari next year, we have DD13 and DS7, I have found what looks like a good one from African Safari, it is in Tanzania and ends with a few days in Zanzibar, we'd go in July during the great migration. Is there anything I haven't thought of? Does this seem like a good plan - I would love to hear from someone who has done similar or used that company

mummymeister Thu 23-Mar-17 09:26:10

make sure you get all the jabs if any are needed sorted out in plenty of time. also check if you need malarials and make sure none of you are going to be allergic to them if possible.

ajandjjmum Thu 23-Mar-17 09:33:59

Fabulous trip - just be sure that your 7 year old will be happy to sit quietly observing for hours if necessary.

DangerousMouse Thu 23-Mar-17 12:03:24

Thank you - yes I'm sure we'll need jabs, and thats a really good point about the allergy to the malarials as none of us have taken them before. I think he will be ok sitting for hours, we can take small things for him to do, and hopefully being during the migration there should be lots to see. He is very keen and loves animals - he wants to be a conservationist when he grows up.

Cakecrumbsinmybra Fri 24-Mar-17 21:05:00

I have done similar and loved it (pre kids). And just taken a 10 yo and 6yo on an amazing safari in South Africa. They loved it and it will give us amazing memories forever. My only reservation would be that Zanzibar felt very remote and cut off, which would worry me slightly re: medical stuff.

bojorojo Tue 28-Mar-17 00:44:35

Make sure you stay in the right area of the Serengeti for the migration in July. Expert Africa has a very good map and descriptions of where to stay.

You could go in late August and see the migration in the Masai Mara in Kenya when the wildebeeste cross the Mara and Talek Rivers. Mara Explora is a good camp that welcomes children.

Having taken our well behaved children - you may find some adults are less than appreciative of children being in the camps, even child friendly ones! (I am not suggesting your DC are not well behaved by the way). I was approached on several occasions by people saying it was not a suitable holiday for children. It is. It is perfect! You have to get up at about 6, a quick coffee and then you are out checking for a lion kill! It can be pretty chilly in the very early morning so take fleeces. Take extra food for the children if they are grumpy this early but you may get biscuits and another coffee when you are out. You get back to camp for breakfast.

Make sure they have something to do in the day. Some camps may offer other activities such as visiting a village - flies on babies - you have been warned!

Zanzibar is Muslim. It is no more remote than the Serengeti . Do go to the Ngorongoro Crater. It is amazing! A fantastic place to go and exciting as you descend into the crater. Get cameras for your children and binoculars. Make sure you take an identification of animals and birds book. Take notes of what you see. Children really thrive on this type of holiday but do your homework on camps.

DangerousMouse Wed 29-Mar-17 18:41:21

That is such a useful post bojorojo thank you, the camps listed are Highview hotel, Ikoma wild camp, Ngorongoro wild camp and the Ocean paradise beach resort. I'll do a bit of research into them. If we go with the package I have found then we would spend a day at Ngorongoro crater, it sounds amazing!

bojorojo Wed 29-Mar-17 23:46:08

It is amazing. It is a natural wonder of the world in my view! I would check the area of the Ikoma Camp (I assume that is the Serengeti one) to make sure the migration will be in that area. The Serengeti is vast and way bigger than the Masai Mara and you cannot really travel out of the area you stay in because it is just too big.

bojorojo Thu 30-Mar-17 00:23:52

The Ikoma Tented Camp is in the Grumeti area of the Serengeti Eco system and should be OK for the migration. Not that this spectacular is guaranteed on any given week of course! However, the herds should be gathering for the great trek to the Masai Mara. The Grumeti area has been the subject of considerable conservation efforts because there are some very swanky camps in the this area. Singita Grumeti for a start. Look at their web site for up-market safari options and prices. The animals are the same if you stay there or in a bush camp though.

I really like bush camps. There is something more exciting about them as you are closer to nature! The other huge advantage at this camp is that there are night drives. When we have done these in Zambia you go out for an evening drive, have sundowners by the vehicle and then the driver and spotter will rig up a large lamp and you look for nocturnal animals. It can be really exciting and children love spotting. In fact my younger dd got rather good at it in daylight! She spotted a serval that no-one else noticed. I think this area may have access to the Grumeti River as well so that may have hippos and crocs. The camp web site is quite good. They also do walking safaris. We have done this and saw lions - on foot (before children). They ran away but I can assure you it was "interesting" hiding behind a termite's nest wondering what the lions would do. My breathing suddenly stopped! You go out with a guide and an armed guard. This is probably a very good camp for children. It is fairly basic but has everything you need.

Make sure you take battery chargers for your camera batteries. If you take flash photos at night, the flash eats batteries. If you are using a high mega pixel setting then you may need a spare memory card. If you do not use rechargeable batteries, take loads of spares. You do not need fancy camera lenses but a camera that can take in lower light conditions is very useful (assuming you will want to take photos). Check charging facilites at the camps. Most have generators and they may turn them off which limits electricity supply.

Make sure the children go to the loo before a game drive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now