loader

Talk

Advanced search

Disneyworld

(15 Posts)
S999 Mon 20-Mar-17 09:45:17

Major help please!
Two questions:
How long do we need in the Disney parks in Florida - I have a 11,9 and 6 year old.
How long in Universal?
What are the major rides for these kids ages?
We were thinking of going in May - we have a provisional reservation - but trying to work out if better to take a guide and fast track the rides or go it alone seeing as it's half term and there will be loads of queues!
Do you think 3 days in enough in the Disney parks and one day in Universal Studios?
Advice is much appreciated.

mummymeister Mon 20-Mar-17 10:08:32

We went for 2 weeks just in the parks and for us it was just about long enough. we had a couple of down days - one at kennedy space centre and one at busch gardens but basically there is not only a lot to see and do but an awful lot of your time spent queueing. universal is generally much better for older kids so definitely the 11 yr old and poss the 9 year old whereas Disney is perfect for your 6 yr old.

everyone will have different views on this. your first step should be to buy the books WDW with kids and Beyond WDW with kids. best investment you will ever make for this holiday. my copies are worn out with lending them to friends and family.

one day at universal and you might just do HP but not a lot else.

we worked on the basis that we would probably not go back that often so just concentrated on the parks and water parks.

S999 Mon 20-Mar-17 11:36:40

That's so helpful, thank you!!
So we are from Asia so not that interested in the water parks, more Magic Kingdom, Universal Studio parks, Kennedy Space Centre, EPCOT and possibly Sea World.
Apparently May is better as far as crowds go but I don't think we will take chance especially at the weekends. It might be best for us to get a guide for the Magic Kingdom and Universal Studios? Then we wouldd not have to queue. Hopefully we could do that in 2 days?
I will definitely buy the books, am going to amazon right now!
Thanks so so much

mouldycheesefan Tue 21-Mar-17 14:08:08

What do you mean by get a guide?
Disney world is Epcot, Hollywood studios, magic kingdom, animal kingdom and two water parks. So 6 parks plus other things You would struggle to do less than a day in each unless you missed some of them out.

Iamastonished Tue 21-Mar-17 18:20:02

We had 10 days there and it was plenty. We don't like roller coaster rides or water parks and managed to fit in the 4 main Disney parks plus the 2 Universal ones in comfortably, along with a visit to Kennedy Space Centre and an airboat ride at Boggy Creek. This was at the end of July last year BTW.

QuitMoaning Tue 21-Mar-17 18:26:09

I am the opposite of Lamastonished as we loved the water parks and roller coasters when we went 3 years ago but son was 16 and stepson was 13 so a bit older than the OP.
It was manic and exhausting but we loved it. You will struggle to consistently do more than one park a day, there is so much to doand lots of hidden things you might see. The Americans are really good at these parks.

And Kennedy Space Center Atlantis exhibition was jaw dropping. Planned 30 minutes in there and spent nearly 3 hours.

Iamastonished Tue 21-Mar-17 18:31:23

I am so short sighted that all I want to do in a pool is swim. I can't deal with places where I can't see very well, and wearing glasses in a water park wouldn't be very practical. DD just isn't interested in swimming at all.

fruityb Tue 21-Mar-17 18:33:35

We did two weeks and had two days in universal and Island of adventure - we got on everything in that time. Magic kingdom had a whole day and even then we went back. At least a day in every park really - magic kingdom would need three to do it all I think.

flowersareblooming Fri 24-Mar-17 12:15:30

We are going in 2 weeks

flowersareblooming Fri 24-Mar-17 12:16:35

We are going for 2 weeks we are planning whole days in parks some half days and some rest days
Have booked fast passes for magic kingdom, Epcot

Iamastonished Fri 24-Mar-17 13:33:09

"magic kingdom would need three to do it all I think"

We only needed a day, but we weren't interested in going on every ride.

fruityb Fri 24-Mar-17 13:47:22

I wasn't but it did feel like a rush to do it in a day. I think if you wanted to do it more relaxed it'd need longer and if we'd gone with kids it would.

Iamastonished Fri 24-Mar-17 15:17:29

There were only two of us, which helps because we often got to queue jump as most large groups want to sit with each other on rides, and there are often a couple of spare seats left over.

ChippyMinton Fri 24-Mar-17 15:54:14

We went in February for one week, stayed on site at Disney and did the 4 Disney parks, Blizzard Beach water park, Discovery Cove and Kennedy. It was manic but do-able with teenagers because they could get up and out in the mornings and stay out late for dinner. I think with younger children that would be too full-on and I'd go for 10 days and a more relaxed pace.

We made full use of fast passes and, because we had the Disney dining plan, knew exactly where and when we were having sit-down meals. We didn't queue for anything and the parks were moderately busy - 7/10. We ticked off all the big rides, parades and shows and used fast passes and mealtimes to meet characters.

flowersareblooming Fri 24-Mar-17 16:36:42

We are having 1.5 days in magic kingdom on half day watching fireworks at 9pm
Have pArade booked and rides
Going to Epcot 1 day
Universal 2
Animal kingdom
Blizzard beach

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now