Talk

Advanced search

NYC AirBnB help needed please

(24 Posts)
MozzchopsThirty Sun 12-Mar-17 15:53:33

Hoping to go with dd at end of June for 3 nights
Can't afford the hotels so have looked at airbnb
Lots of lovely options for Brooklyn, Astoria and bed-stuy

Does anyone have good knowledge of these areas?
Safe for 2 women travellers?
How long into manhattan from these boroughs?
Is the subway just like being on the MTR/tube/metro?

Many thanks in advance

tissuesosoft Sun 12-Mar-17 15:57:01

Not sure about the exact travel but Park Slope and Williamsburg are meant to be very nice in Brooklyn

tissuesosoft Sun 12-Mar-17 15:58:07

www.timeout.com/newyork/brooklyn/park-slope-brooklyn-neighborhood-guide

tissuesosoft Sun 12-Mar-17 15:58:51

www.airbnb.co.uk/locations/new-york/park-slope

glitterglitters Sun 12-Mar-17 16:00:01

I think Astoria may be quite the way out as it's in Queens. Brooklyn is lovely. It's like East London but without the dickheads

MozzchopsThirty Sun 12-Mar-17 17:11:13

Park slope looks lovely just seen a gorgeous looking house with room to rent

EachandEveryone Sun 12-Mar-17 17:18:06

Airbnb is illegal in New York. Lots of people get stung so be very careful. Can you not stretch to 4/5 nights? Its along way to go and the airfare will be the same either way. Its easy to get to Manhatten from Brooklyn. Look into booking some free walking tours freetoursbyfoot is the company, they are great.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 12-Mar-17 17:18:10

Mozzchops

Your DD and yourself need to look at hotels rather than this type of accommodation. Am sorry to write that but the laws re apartment rentals in NYC are very strict and there has been much discussion in NYC over this whole issue.

Apartment rental sites do not ever check the veracity of listings and many people have been conned by apartment rental holiday scams. Also what is not mentioned is that short term lets of under 30 days are illegal in the 5 boroughs. People can and do rent out their apartment space illegally, you take a real risk in using such sites and handing money over.

Please be very careful and use a hotel instead preferably in midtown Manhattan. I realise you say you cannot afford a hotel but I would look at sites like Priceline and Expedia; that way you will not be ripped off.

ImperialBlether Sun 12-Mar-17 17:20:20

I've just booked an AirB&B for July in Brooklyn. What do you mean, it's illegal? If someone owns a property they can rent it out, can't they?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 12-Mar-17 17:32:21

No they cannot rent it out, its more often than not against the term of their rental agreement.

This explains the latest re Airbnb and NY:-

www.nytimes.com/2016/12/03/technology/airbnb-ends-fight-with-new-york-city-over-fines.html

fortune.com/2016/12/06/airbnb-drops-ny-lawsuit/

JigglyTuff Sun 12-Mar-17 17:34:51

You can only rent a room through AirBnB in NYC, not a whole apartment

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 12-Mar-17 17:37:04

Since 2010, it has been illegal in New York to rent out a whole apartment for fewer than 30 days. But some tenants and landlords have ignored those rules and have been using rental sites to rent out their apartments for much shorter periods.

MozzchopsThirty Sun 12-Mar-17 18:08:12

We're just renting a room not an apartment

I'd love to do a few more days but we already have one big trip booked so this is an extra little treat
The hotels are crazy prices and I'm well travelled

I'll take a look at the links re legal situation thanks

ImperialBlether Sun 12-Mar-17 18:09:46

I'm renting a three bedroomed apartment within a house. The owners live in the rest of the house. It's a brownstone so we will have a couple of floors and so will they.

MozzchopsThirty Sun 12-Mar-17 18:12:28

So is that legal imperial??

ImperialBlether Sun 12-Mar-17 18:18:07

I don't know! I thought it was, obviously. My sister stayed there last year and loved it, so I booked in the autumn, but that was before the decision that's in the link above. So now I don't know what to do!

ImperialBlether Sun 12-Mar-17 18:18:24

What are the repercussions for the landlords?

JigglyTuff Sun 12-Mar-17 18:24:29

I think if it's part of a house, it may be okay. It's just entirely self-contained places that are the issue

MozzchopsThirty Sun 12-Mar-17 18:31:35

Ah well be fine then smile

ImperialBlether Sun 12-Mar-17 18:49:02

Oh ok. Do you think I should write to ask them? I don't want to lose my money, obviously. At the moment, AirBnB are holding it.

mummymeister Tue 14-Mar-17 08:56:50

I absolutely would write and ask them a direct question about this. There will always be some people who take a risk. which is fine if its their risk but in this case it isn't - it would affect you. My biggest fear would be pitching up late at night with kids and finding that I had nowhere to stay in a city I didn't know that well.

airbandb naturally keep quiet about the situation in NY but you need to find out direct from the property owner.

airbandb was originally set up to let extra rooms in your house but has now morphed into just another advertising portal for accommodation lets. Hope you get this sorted out. would be helpful to others if you could post the outcome of your discussions as this question about NYC and airbandb and other lets does come up really regularly and it would help others in your situation.

ImperialBlether Tue 14-Mar-17 09:28:50

Thanks for your advice. I'll contact her today.

wizzywig Tue 14-Mar-17 11:27:44

Op if you look at the forums on tripadvisor there is stacks of info on the illegal airbnbs and holiday rentals

ImperialBlether Tue 14-Mar-17 14:32:58

I've had a reply. She said the rule applied to people in apartment buildings who didn't get their landlord's approval.

Thanks, wizzy; I'll look it up there, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now