Talk

Advanced search

Qatar for a holiday

(14 Posts)
Lalalandfill Thu 09-Mar-17 11:36:22

Dh has to go to Qatar for work at Easter, so we're thinking about joining him. DC 12 and 9

It doesn't look like the world's most exciting place, having said that we've had a very rough term with a family member very sick and I don't mind lying on a lounger for a week in a daze, recovering

But is there anything else to do? Will dc be bored?

Can anyone recommend a good, family-friendly hotel?

Thanks grin

habibihabibi Sat 11-Mar-17 16:17:07

It will be warm, expect mid to high thirties dry heat but it won't be the baking temperatures of the summer . You will still be able to enjoy corniche and Pearl walks and the parks as well as the Souq.
Qatar is really in an enormous development phase but there are some lovely luxury hotels including an off shore island one . It's an expensive destination but the 5 star hotels are reliably good especially for room size and service . Most places are new or refurnished to high standards .
Taxis are cheap which is good as public transport isn't really an option yet .
For an adventurous day out you can go with a off roading company to the inland sea via the sand dunes .

Lalalandfill Sat 11-Mar-17 19:07:12

Thank you, habibi

Is there any hotel you'd particularly recommend?

Westcountrygemini Sun 12-Mar-17 00:27:44

Hi Op, we had a 5 day break in Doha over new year recently, stayed in The Intercontinental (the one with a private beach, not the one in the city). I really enjoyed it and it seemed very child friendly. Would recommend.

habibihabibi Sun 12-Mar-17 16:19:10

The intercontinental or Grand Hyatt seem quite family friendly .

KittyOShea Sun 12-Mar-17 16:24:15

We stayed in the Grand Hyattat Halloween. Really nice. Accommodation was not that expensive but breakfast was astronomical. There is a mall across the road with a Carrefour supermarket which we used for brekkie things and had our own. The only downside of the hotel is that it's quite far out of the city centre in terms of traffic chaos.

There's not a huge amount to do but lovely weather for chilling out by the pool. I loved the museum of Islamic Art- well worth a day out. The souk is an enjoyable way to spend an evening too.

Lalalandfill Sun 12-Mar-17 18:13:38

All good to hear ... someone mentioned the Four Seasons as having a good location, does anyone know anything about that?

KittyOShea Sun 12-Mar-17 18:39:11

I think it's quite close to the Grand Hyatt. Any of the hotels with private beaches are out of the centre. TBH there isn't a lot to do in the centre so I personally was happy I prioritised the fact the hotel had its own beach. Just leave plenty of time for getting anywhere!

habibihabibi Mon 13-Mar-17 14:30:25

Four seasons ( and also the Hilton) is closer to the CBD so in theory you could walk along the Corniche to the MIA or Souq but it is probably going to be too hot.

Lalalandfill Wed 15-Mar-17 09:20:45

Thanks everyone, we've been booked into 4 Seasons by work, so fingers crossed! Any recommendations of places to eat etc gratefully accepted

habibihabibi Wed 15-Mar-17 17:31:31

Four Seasons elements has a lovely brunch on Fridays with alcohol included ( worth it to see the expats in their native habitat). It also does a great if slightly played down Saturday lunch . Nobu at 4 seasons has a great happy hour with tapas .
There are lots of good lunch and supper deals in hotels , the W hotel is great . At Souq Waqif there are lovely boutique hotels as well as local , restaurants all worth trying.
Look at Doha Foodies if you are on Facebook .

KittyOShea Wed 15-Mar-17 19:22:37

I agree on Souk Waqif. We also had a delicious lunch deal in the W hotel on a Thursday. The Thai restaurant at the Grand Hyatt was delicious. Enjoy!

BaileyLadapa Thu 16-Mar-17 21:09:28

Living there for 10 years I would say nothing much to do but there's some nice things to do I would say
1.sand dune (take Qatar holiday)
2. Souq wagif (lot of nice arabic food restaurant)
3. The pearl ( walk around and you can try some fancy cafe)
4. St.regis (opal by gordon ramsey etc)
5. Sunday brunch in all 5 stars hotel are good and reasonable price
6. Corniche
7. Islamic museum - bazaar on sat

That's it I think

Lalalandfill Fri 17-Mar-17 10:31:43

Brilliant, we're there for just over a week, so those should keep us busy- as I said, I'm happy to spend most of my time in a coma by the pool!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now