Talk

Advanced search

Maldives for a week?

(30 Posts)
Fourbyfour Sun 05-Mar-17 00:18:29

Have found an amazing hotel which works out at £4800 or so for 7 nights in an over water villa all inclusive.
My husband has always dreamed of this, and it's a big birthday for him in the next year so would be incredible to do.
Is it worth the money, just to tick it off his bucket list?
It was too expensive for our honeymoon as we wanted two weeks, and I can't sit still for that long.
I earn a healthy wage so tempted to save up and surprise him.

gamerchick Sun 05-Mar-17 00:20:17

Ah it is man. It's on mine as well and I would be over the ruddy moon if the husband made it happen for me.

Do it seriously.

gamerchick Sun 05-Mar-17 00:21:00

Can I come, I'll be no bother honestly grin

LazySusan11 Sun 05-Mar-17 06:28:27

Which island is it? The Maldives is one of my favourite places but not all have the beautiful white sand. Have you looked on trip advisor?

If it ticks all your boxes I'd say do it, you'll never regret a lazy day in an over water bungalow!

Fourbyfour Sun 05-Mar-17 17:11:43

Haha gamerchick, I'll see you there!

I can't remember which island it was on as I've lost the link now. That's really good to know about sand etc. I'll be sure to thoroughly do my research.

£5k is a lot of money for a week but hey ho! It's what will give me motivation to save, just that shock on his face and his excitement after.

SillyBub Sun 05-Mar-17 17:15:54

It's a very long way to go just for a week. I've been for 14 and 17 days but wouldn't travel that far for just a week. Could you consider saving a bit harder and longer for 10 days? That would be the minimum I'd consider. Having said that I suffer terribly with jet lag so perhaps that clouds my opinion.

Fourbyfour Sun 05-Mar-17 18:44:54

It's an 11 hour flight or so isn't if? We've flown to Hong Kong for a week and that was a similar length flight and we found it absolutely fine.

heymrpostman Sun 05-Mar-17 19:34:29

I'd do it but only on a direct flight which means BA November to March.
Go for it!

welshweasel Sun 05-Mar-17 19:35:40

I've done it twice for a week and once for 10 days. 10 days infinitely better but a week is doable but you must have a direct flight and seaplane rather than speedboat transfer to make the most of it.

LadyOrangutan Sun 05-Mar-17 19:35:55

I've done it for a week on a direct flight. Was bliss! Do it!

Fourbyfour Sun 05-Mar-17 19:45:06

Really useful to know about direct flight, I always always do longhand direct so absolutely would look to do this for this trip.
Happy to fly with BA and Nov to March is the time of year I wanted to go anyways as read weather is best then. So this is all great to hear.
Thanks everyone - do keep the opinions coming.

heymrpostman Sun 05-Mar-17 19:57:57

There's a real active Maldives forum on TripAdvisor with some knowledgeable posters, definitely ask resort questions on there.

everready23 Sun 05-Mar-17 20:07:04

Me and my DS stopped there for s week after getting married in Sri-Lanka. Oh my god it's so gorgeous out there. Defo go!!!
We really want to go back out; unfortunately with two young DC it's not going to happen any time soon!! 😂
Defo go!!!!

GinAndTunic Sun 05-Mar-17 20:11:33

Do eet!

TheNaze73 Sun 05-Mar-17 20:16:51

Do it. You'll have a fab time & create dime great memories

Idrinkandiknowstuff Sun 05-Mar-17 20:17:10

We did 2 weeks on sun island. I'd go back tomorrow if I could. Amazing place. Book it, you will not regret it.

CPtart Sun 05-Mar-17 20:23:31

Spent 11 nights on Paradise Island pre DC. Memories I'll never forget. You must go. We will again.

Fourbyfour Sun 05-Mar-17 20:31:32

Wow thanks everyone, it's fab you're all in agreement we must go! His 30th isnt until autumn 2018 but I'll likely book later this summer when flights get released so there is no going back!

gamerchick Sun 05-Mar-17 20:43:30

I'm soooo Jealous grin please come back when he knows what's happening and tell us his reaction.

Fintress Mon 20-Mar-17 18:30:20

Maldives is our favourite holiday destination. What a fab surprise for your hubby! I suggest you take your time and do a LOT of research as there as so many islands spread over a huge area. Last time we spent 2 weeks at Lily Beach, it was fantastic, great house reef.

clerquin Tue 21-Mar-17 00:21:14

One of our favourite pre kids' holidays. It's a long way to go for only one week. We spent 2 weeks on Velidhu on the North Ari atoll and I did my basic PADI there whilst DH did his advanced PADI. (I absolutely refused to learn to dive in a cold, dark quarry in the UK like he did). Water villa was too pricey for us since we spent our money on diving instead. On my list to revisit once we don't have to take the kids along too.

swimster01 Fri 24-Mar-17 18:39:19

Which island is it? Maldives is our favourite destination - it is absolutely worth the money IF you enjoy snorkelling/diving. If not, then there are probably equally nice places to go to. There isn't much to do than to enjoy the sea.

Smidge001 Fri 24-Mar-17 18:46:22

Oh that's interesting. I'm no diver, and a bit crap at snorkelling even, but I've always LOVED the idea of one of those over water bungalows!! Are you saying I'd get a bit bored and be disappointed? Must say, most of my holidays tend to be a bit more city like but I love, love, love the views (in the brochures) and feel as though I could stare at them for days.

swimster01 Fri 24-Mar-17 19:21:27

Well, unlike a lot of other beachy places, you are pretty much confined to a small island (we could walk around the whole perimeter of ours in about 40 mins) and the highlight of the Maldives really is under the water. If I wasn't into snorkelling, I would go for the Caribbean/Mexico or Thailand which have equally as nice beaches but a bit more going on besides. Barbados is very nice.

Smidge001 Fri 24-Mar-17 21:49:44

Thanks swimster what you're saying definitely makes sense. I just have to come to terms with it now grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now