Talk

Advanced search

Looking for Cape Verde reviews!

(15 Posts)
octopusrus Sat 04-Mar-17 14:20:09

Hi all, looking at Riu Touareg in Cape Verde for Easter (a bit last minute!) but would love to have reviews from anyone who's stayed there?

We have an almost 4yo and an 8yo, they usually love going to kids clubs etc so would need stuff for them to do if possible!

We are not too interested in looking around outside the hotel so it doesn't matter too much about where it is, we wouldn't be going for that long.

Haven't been myself but am a travel agent and have had mixed reviews tbh. Riu hotels are familiy orientated, kids club generally open 2 sessions a day then has a bit of evening entertainment. Hotel itself is generally well reviewed but a Cape Verde 5* is more like a 4* elsewhere - food will be ok not amazing, drinks cheap brands etc. If you like swimming in the sea it's worth knowing that you can't a lot if the time due to high winds.

Other thing to bear in mind is it's a long flight on a short haul plane, no entertainment etc. If it was a good deal it's worth going but I'd check prices on equivalent hotels in Canaries for comparison.

ShangriLaLaLa Sat 04-Mar-17 14:28:43

You'll find people firmly divided on the subject of Cape Verde. We hated it. Stayed at the next door hotel and visited the Touareg to compare. Some people absolutely adored it, though.

We were AI but ate out a lot. Everything was just too difficult and it wasn't the luxury, stress free experience we were sold.

We went at Easter. Pools were cold and a chilly wind blows permanently so you rarely feel warm.

Personally, I can't find a good thing to say but you will find others who will vehemently disagree with me and I'm fine with that. I guess you need to work out of you are a CV person. Where do you like to go on holiday normally? Think about how the destinations compare.

ShangriLaLaLa Sat 04-Mar-17 14:37:44

Sorry, just checked and I'm thinking of a different hotel, so can't really comment on it blush

Comments on Cape Verde in general still stand, though! Good luck with your holiday planning!

octopusrus Sun 05-Mar-17 12:10:57

Thanks for replies - yes people do seem very divided on it which is interesting! We've been to 5* at Mexico, Tenerife and were looking for somewhere similar but don't want the long flight to Mexico and Tenerife looks mostly booked up (or random 9k prices for 10 days!!).

I can't seem to get excited about Cape Verde so maybe that's a sign...

welshweasel Sun 05-Mar-17 12:18:39

We've been looking at CV for may half term and came to the conclusion that it probably wasn't worthwhile. Going to hurghada instead.

Who are you looking with? There's loads of availability still for May half term out there!

Sorry I meant Easter! Where can you fly from?

exLtEveDallas Sun 05-Mar-17 12:40:55

My sister did Cape Verde and said almost the same as shangrilala. It's put me right off.

I second Hurghada for Easter. One of my very favourite places, including Makadi Bay. The Jaz hotels are especially lovely.

octopusrus Sun 05-Mar-17 21:25:05

Englishgirl can go from Heathrow or Gatwick. We can't seem to find anything we like in the Canaries, DH is being rather picky hotel-wise.

Haven't looked at Hurghada before actually so thanks for the tip, will have a google.

TheFairyCaravan Sun 05-Mar-17 21:36:37

We went to the Karamboa a couple of years ago at Easter. We went as a couple and loved it. There's precious little to do which is what we liked about it. I read loads of books in the sunshine, DH went on a couple of quad bike trips and we went to look at the capital for a couple of hours.

You won't be able to swim in the sea. The sea is calmer on the Karamboa side, but even then most days are red flag days. It's so strong that people do suffer broken limbs from it, and if you've gone in when the red flag is flying your insurance isn't valid.

The hotels are huge. They're like a resort in themselves. There was a children's club, children's pool and play area. The food was really good and plentiful. You would always find something to eat even if you're fussy. DH really enjoyed the cocktails, I don't drink so I can't comment .

I will definitely go back. Unfortunately I've not been well enough to fly that far since. My parent have been and so have a few of my friends. We've all loved it. It's really beautiful but very poor and very underdeveloped.

I was going to recommend a couple of the Jet2 luxe hotels in the Canaries but no good from London airports and pretty sure cooks and tui don't do them. If he's picky have you tried an operator like Sovereign or Classic Collection?

octopusrus Mon 06-Mar-17 17:53:28

Not heard of either of those so will have a look, thanks very much!

I want to go to pretty much everything in the Sovereign Brochure grin

2014newme Tue 07-Mar-17 11:03:28

I've stayed in some of the sovereign ones, no complaints from me.
Don't fancy cape Verde personally

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now