Talk

Advanced search

Mexico/Yucatan in July

(10 Posts)
noramum Fri 03-Mar-17 18:52:32

We look for a long-haul holiday in July 2018 and one of the areas we shortlisted is Yucatan.

Has anybody been there in July? DD will be 11 and we thought we could do a week self-drive (pre-booked) and a week beach resort. DH sits on a fortune in Virgin Miles so we hope to keep the costs down by using them for flights and/or resort booking.

What is the weather like? Can anybody recommend a resort which is close enough to a town so you can go out for meals instead of relying on the AI restaurants and do some shopping? (We had this problem in St. Lucia)

Anything I need to be aware off or need to do/see? None of us has been to the area.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 03-Mar-17 19:21:58

The Lonely Planet guide to Yucatan is well worth reading further before you finally decide. It is detailed and informative:-

www.lonelyplanet.com/mexico/yucatan-peninsula/transport/getting-around/car-and-motorcycle

The hurricane season in Mexico usually runs between June and November and can affect both the Atlantic and Pacific coastlines. Its very hot and humid through the peninsula at that time of year.

vikthevegan Fri 03-Mar-17 19:59:57

I've been to that area of Mexico a few times and unfortunately the police stop you a lot for bribes and threaten you with arrest. Locals would never advise you to self drive there. Maybe so some more research. It's a lovely lovely place and so many nice things to see and do. Maybe google that point. Good luck

noramum Sat 04-Mar-17 08:43:15

Thanks, esp. Vikthevegan. I had the same fears but DH thinks it will work.

The alternative is getting a private tour, will look into that.

Attila - thanks, will look into hurricanes

creamcheesefrosting Sat 04-Mar-17 12:11:10

We've been in July. We weren't mad on Cancun and the surrounding area but loved Tulum. Probably about 90 minutes drive, gorgeous beaches and plenty of sightseeing.

creamcheesefrosting Sat 04-Mar-17 12:12:50

We had no problem with driving, we toured the whole peninsula. We didn't drive at night, kept to the speed limit and had a few pesos in case we got stopped.

2014newme Thu 09-Mar-17 09:10:27

We stay in tulum but haven't been in July. Love it there been three times

jolufc Thu 09-Mar-17 19:31:19

Looking for an all inclusive in this area. Children are 12 and 10. Any suggestions?

noramum Fri 10-Mar-17 17:05:41

We now changed plans are will most likely go in the Easter holiday. I copy jolufc, same age and AI required.

jolufc Mon 13-Mar-17 20:18:47

We are considering, the grand palladium hotels, Bahia principe Coba, dreams puertos aventuras or hard rock riviera maya. Anyone any advice on any of these?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now