Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone been to the Seychelles?

(11 Posts)
swimster01 Thu 02-Mar-17 20:10:13

If so, what is it like and would it be good for a family holiday end October? Thanks flowers

MiniMaxi Thu 02-Mar-17 20:21:59

Yes, a long time ago and on a conservation project, so I can't give relevant info other than it's beautiful and the food is delicious!

When I went the only places to stay as a tourist were posh hotels - that's changed now and there are much more affordable B&Bs etc as well.

For a family holiday I guess it depends what you are in to. The capital Victoria is tiny so you can't do much of a city trip, however... Obviously the beaches are incredible, you can do great hikes, island hop, and the stars at night are mind blowing as there is almost no light pollution.

Watching others' responses with interest as I'd love to go back some day.

mouldycheesefan Fri 03-Mar-17 08:55:35

I would love to go. We have been to Mauritius and loved it. However Seychelles is eye wateringly expensive.

Stopyourhavering Fri 03-Mar-17 23:28:43

I'm going( with dh!) in September for our 30th wedding anniversary ....spending 1 week on Praslin and 1 week on Mahe....cannot wait!(flying Emirates as well)...looking forward to the beautiful beaches/scenery snorkelling and wonderful creole food

creamcheesefrosting Sat 04-Mar-17 12:08:53

I've been, it's one of the most beautiful places ever IMO.
The main island Mahe is pretty enough but the out islands are breathtaking.

We haven't taken our DC mostly due to the cost and the fact that the out islands tend to attract the honeymoon crowd.

BreatheDeep Sat 04-Mar-17 12:25:22

I went on honeymoon to one of the islands. The only thing there was the hotel (I say hotel but it was actually lots of cabins) and an old plantain plantation where the hotel workers lived. There was a village on the other side of the island over the mountain but you couldn't really get to it.

It was breathtakingly beautiful and amazing for a couple. Insanely expensive though. There was actually a family there while we were but I found that strange as there wasn't much to do and basically all the other guests were honeymooners or couples.

If I were to go with a family I'd choose the main island probably.

Oh and we went in October and the weather is warm but not baking hot. It was mid to late 20s. Some rain showers which were quite refreshing.

Sparklyuggs Wed 08-Mar-17 19:00:17

Yes!

How old are your children? It seems family friendly to me- lots of French families go there but might be more enjoyed by older DC so you can do the nature hikes? We did a 6 hr hike in La Digue and there were two French teenagers on it who loved it. We did Mahe, Praslin and La Digue. Where to stay on each island depends on the time of year you go due to seaweed but TripAdvisor is a great source for this.

It's not really a mass tourism place but we loved that! One of my favourite destinations out of 50 odd countries.

Only downside is alcohol is v expensive but we don't drink much.

We flew with Emirates who were excellent.

Sparklyuggs Wed 08-Mar-17 19:01:25

From what I recall, since it's a tropical destination you can visit year round, just choose your resorts to avoid seaweed. We went in June which is supposedly low season, but we had lovely weather.

Lordofmyflies Thu 16-Mar-17 20:55:43

We went a couple of years ago. It is truely beautiful BUT stupidly expensive ( £8 for a small bottle water). We also found the service and people that we met quite frosty and rude compared to the carribean islands.

GavelRavel Thu 16-Mar-17 21:03:24

Also watching as we went pre kids and it's the most beautiful place I've been. i would love to go back, but doubt it would ever be affordable for the whole family. we have been to Mauritius as a family which was also great, probably better really with a family as more to do, also lovely but not as incredibly beautiful.

When we went to Seychelles pre kids we stayed in Lemuria resort on Praslin, which I'd say was definitely family friendly and I'd go back with mine, but this was 15 years ago, there may be more choices now.

BaileyLadapa Thu 16-Mar-17 21:04:14

Yes,I've been there for four times and it was fantastic getaway destination,fairly I would say it seems to be couple destination rather than family destination,apart from relaxing in the hotel and get to the town,it is a boat trip and diving/snorkling which I don't know that you will think it is good to take your little one out or not

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now