Talk

Advanced search

New York - when is the best time to go ? Thinking October half-term

(18 Posts)
Dontstayoutsideinthiscold Tue 28-Feb-17 14:35:59

We'll like to go for a week with 2 kids 11 and 14. Shall I book tickets separately or with the flights ? Very excited it's for my 35th ! Thank you

bojorojo Wed 01-Mar-17 00:15:08

Yes to Feb half term. A bit nippy but sunny. Leaf colours in Central Park will be lovely. What tickets?

PatriciaHolm Wed 01-Mar-17 11:22:09

We did NY and Washington in Oct half term, has beautiful weather!

mummymeister Wed 01-Mar-17 12:24:14

I think as long as you avoid the obvious winter months it will be lovely because they do have a lot to see and do there. also look on here about accommodation. you need to be thinking hotels and not apartments due to restrictions on private short lets in new York. some of the guided walking tours are fab. my fav bit of the trip.

youngestisapsycho Wed 01-Mar-17 12:34:31

We have just booked to go in Oct Half Term with DDs 15 & 11. Friends went same time last year and said it was lovely weather and all the Halloween decs were out...
I looked at BA and Virgin for flight and hotel packages and ended up with BA because only had to pay a £350 deposit and the rest does not need to be paid till 5 weeks before travel.... Virgin wanted it all paid at once.

bojorojo Mon 06-Mar-17 23:59:39

Sorry - I did mean October half term! A good time to go!

bitofabelly Tue 04-Apr-17 21:38:40

Patriciaholm, how did ye get to Washington..train? Was it worth it?

hamble123 Wed 05-Apr-17 00:22:46

Bitofabelly: you can take the Amtrak trains to Washington DC from Penn Station on 33rd/34th Streets and 7th/8th Avenues (the station takes up a block). Http://www.amtrak.com

You can also take a Megabus (obviously you need to go on their US site) and Boltbus.

You could fly too, from JFK, Newark or La Guardia airports.

Lots to do in the Capital city (Smithsonian museums are great for kids) but it's a lot to do in a week if combined with NYC.....perhaps you could get an open-jaw ticket and fly into New York and out of Washington DC?

LapdanceShoeshine Wed 05-Apr-17 00:30:38

We went to NYC in the second week in October 2 years ago - the weather was amazing (cool mornings & evenings but warm days) & it is a lovely time to visit.

Later in Oct will be even better for fall foliage in NY - a few trees were starting to turn when we were there - but not so much in DC.

You'll have a great time smile

bitofabelly Wed 05-Apr-17 15:52:42

Last question, we want to go to New York during the NBA season...kids obsessed!!! So restricted to end October until mid April or so...what month would you pick...we have been before but kids have never been to USA 🇺🇸

bitofabelly Wed 05-Apr-17 15:53:32

Oh and we have a WWE obsessed child too...has anyone attended such an event in New York? Be great to tick both boxes!

allfurcoatnoknickers Wed 05-Apr-17 17:12:11

bitofabelly End of October hands down. The weather is super unpredictable right now - we're lurching from 20C and sunny to snow days and back again and it's horrible.

Mind you, Feb is reliably cold and very cheap for hotels and flights...

CarrieWatermelon Wed 05-Apr-17 17:15:58

Oct half term is a good time to go, I'd say. The weather should be pleasant but not hot.

I've been at all kinds of times of ear, and prefer Sept/Oct hands down.

I went in Feb half term a few hers ago and it snowed heavily - wasn't fun after the one day-novelty effect!

I've never booked a package. tend to get the cheapest flights I can find to either JFK or Newark, and then look for hotel deals afterwards.

LapdanceShoeshine Wed 05-Apr-17 17:54:48

NBA starting earlier next season if it helps - 15th Oct

pre season a month earlier

Can't find the actual finish date. Mid April can be lovely too but there is still a slight risk of random late snow shock Late October is generally lovely although there is always a slight risk of random early snow too grin

hamble123 Wed 05-Apr-17 19:47:23

Bitofabelly:

We've had a very wet, cool, overcast Spring so far in the New York metro area and indeed we are on a 'flood watch' tomorrow as heavy rain is due. Spring and Autumn can be very mixed, but October can have some lovely crisp sunny days....and also rainy days!

The best place to watch NBA and WWE and the NY Rangers ice hockey - as well as other entertainment such as rock bands, singers, comedians eg. Depeche Mode, Madonna, Eddie Izard in New York City is at Madison Square Garden (it's above Penn Station, which is a main train station) and across the street from Macy's and a 12-15 minute walk along 7th Ave from Times Square.

You may like to look at the schedule and decide when to plan your trip here:

Http://www.thegarden.com

(Tickets are usually purchased via the US sites of Ticketmaster and if sold out, via Stub hub...at usually greater cost).

There are probably other venues in places like Brooklyn or Queens but I guess you would prefer to stick to 'midtown' in Manhatten to go to any sporting events. smile

hamble123 Wed 05-Apr-17 19:49:23

Oops - I don't think that link worked, for MSG try:

www.thegarden.com

Hope this helps!

bitofabelly Wed 05-Apr-17 21:33:05

Brilliant info everyone, thank you! That's great to know that the season might kick off earlier...gives us more flexibility. Where would you put 2 adults and 3 boys who will be 13,10 and 8 to stay. Like to spread out. 2 room won't work...2 rooms will to a point...anywhere midtown...our usual preference is to rent a house / apartment. We don't do well in mobile homes if you get me. Any suite hotels or apart hotels. Don't mind paying slightly over the odds.

hamble123 Thu 06-Apr-17 01:05:45

Hands down the best location for an apartment is the Radio City Apartments....right in the heart of midtown close to the Rockefeller Center (Top of the Rock is far better than the Empire State Building), Fifth Avenue, MoMa and walkable to Times Square, Central Park, Bryant Park etc.

They have apartments in various configurations...I haven't personally stayed there as I live 35-45 mins from Manhatten...however I knew a Swedish cabin crew member for SAS airlines and they all like to stay in the apartments there when they get a layover in NYC for a few days and highly recommended it to me for when groups of friends are over from the UK.

www.radiocityapartments.com

(the larger family apartments understandably get booked out very quickly, so if something comes up for the dates you want, don't dither and book immediately!)

You can book direct with the link above, and some websites will let you either book now and pay later or have a no penalty cancellation fee....check first though before booking! A good place to look for price comparisons is www.trivago.com (not sure if there is a Trivago.co.uk but I know that I've seen it advertised on English TV stations).

There are people coming from all the the world as well as domestic US visitors and in school holidays individuals and families are coming over from everywhere.

Whatever you do, ensure that you have a good travel insurance policy, not just for medical but for cancellations, lost or stolen items etc. and best to buy your travel insurance within a day or two of booking your trip!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now