Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Aus or USA for 6 weeks summer holidays (alone with two kids)?

(18 Posts)
DiamondIntRuff Sat 25-Feb-17 00:10:57

I need to escape the daily grind that is my life and I am interested in going to ether Australia (Brisbane area preferably) or America (LA or nearby) for the entire summer holidays. I'd be travelling alone with a 4 and 6 year old, the youngest with ASD. Yes, I'm mad. I'd need to hire a car and I've never driven on the 'wrong' side of the road like they do in the USA, which worries me as I'd need to pay for taxis to get anywhere, but it's quicker to get to than AUS. But if I had the choice it would be AUS, I'm just not sure how I'd manage the very long journey there. Any tips or suggestions?

DiamondIntRuff Sat 25-Feb-17 00:12:14

And I'd have around 6K plus 400 a week coming in whilst there to budget with

SpecialFlowSnake Sat 25-Feb-17 00:55:14

What a great opportunity! I'm envious.

First thing: check out the typical weather in both places and decide which you prefer.

I have never been to Australia but I have lots of driving experience in America. If you are a confident driver in the UK you will be fine. On a Thomas Cook flight to Orlando last year the entertainment included a nifty video on the basics. The car culture makes it so easy, with drive thru banks, chemists, restaurants, dry-cleaners; big often free car parks & spacious spaces, Google Maps on my phone is reliable and I 💖 pay at the pump. I would not recommend relying on taxis/ Uber /Lyft except in Manhattan and Las Vegas. A rented automatic car with air conditioning and cruise control and maybe a DVD player will spoil you forever compared to my Skoda anyway not least for the glory of cupholders.

Phone use at the wheel is out of control but speed cameras are rare. On the two occasions I have had contact with the police everything was fine however I am aware that as a fishbelly white lady travelling alone with children and a posh British accent my experience may differ.

www.aboutdrivingabroad.co.uk/tips-for-driving-united-states.html

m.cruiseamerica.com/rent/ have you thought about an RV?

Good luck!

llangennith Sat 25-Feb-17 01:00:37

Remember our summer is Australia's winter aka 'out of season'. I've been to both countries a few times and if you have six weeks I'd opt for USA.

llangennith Sat 25-Feb-17 01:01:31

And you'll be fine driving.

AppleMagic Sat 25-Feb-17 01:03:30

I agree. Driving in the US is pretty straightforward - the steering wheel in the middle really helps - it's much easier than driving a UK car in France for example.

You may struggle to use pay at the pump in CA though as you often have to put in the zip code your credit card is registered at.

nooka Sat 25-Feb-17 01:13:35

Generally speaking driving in the States is way easier than in the UK, but that may not be as true in built up urban areas. Apart from sunshine what are you looking for in your holiday? West Coast North America is lovely, but I'm not sure I'd want to spend 6 weeks in LA. Do you want to stay in one place or explore? What do your children enjoy doing? Are you thinking hotels or self catering, city life or natural beauty?

nooka Sat 25-Feb-17 01:16:15

I assume you mean think 'steering wheel in the middle of the road' not that American cars have steering wheels in the middle of the car!

HerRoyalNotness Sat 25-Feb-17 01:19:55

I'd go to Australia. Brisvegas still warm enough to have beach days, and lots of animal parks etc... to entertain the littles.

Ineedmorelemonpledge Sat 25-Feb-17 02:30:48

USA & Rent a Beach House in New England - Cape Cod or Rhode Island.

It's always been my dream to go back for a summer with DS.

Such an amazing area with a lot of history and interest. Boston, Salem all nearby for exploring.

MrRiddle0 Sat 25-Feb-17 03:30:19

I'm assuming you mean Australia and not Austria. So I would pick Canada for the simple reason that I went to Canada for two weeks and have felt homesick ever since I left (8 months ago) it is that good. I know it wasn't an option but Canada is a must go location it is absolutely stunning to the fact that I questioned my own sanity when I was there because it just didn't feel real.

Get their rent a car a be free.

Paninotogo Sat 25-Feb-17 04:05:24

What does 'steering wheel in the middle' mean?

Paninotogo Sat 25-Feb-17 04:08:15

Are you sure that would be enough to live on OP? The 6k may be enough to cover the flights, but both countries are pretty expensive to live on only 400 per week.

MsGameandWatch Sat 25-Feb-17 04:16:27

I'm going to do this OP, next year hopefully, but have decided on the gulf coast of Florida. I think £400 will be absolutely fine as long as your accommodation and car are already paid for. You'll be essentially living there for six weeks won't you? Not "holidaying" with all the expenses that entails. I have already made enquiries for a long term summer let, some do special rates if you book for that length of time.

MsGameandWatch Sat 25-Feb-17 04:17:29

Oh and I agree about Canada too. What a gorgeous country that is.

Semaphorically Sat 25-Feb-17 04:29:18

The UK summer is the perfect time to see the north of Australia - it's the dry season and the weather is spectacular (most Europeans get this wrong and go up north in the Australian summer when it's too hot and horribly humid). If you head north from Brisbane you could have an amazing trip - rainforests, reef, tropical weather...

Rainbowqueeen Sat 25-Feb-17 04:33:16

I think either would be fantastic!

I would probably work out what attractions there are that I would want to do in the area that I was going to and decide from there. Bear in mind that Uk summer holidays coincide with USA summer holidays so you would be in peak season whereas in Australia places may be quieter

AppleMagic Sat 25-Feb-17 07:52:30

Yes steering wheel in middle of road, not middle of car!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now