Talk

Advanced search

Jet Leg - Advice

(20 Posts)
Wootle123 Mon 20-Feb-17 19:16:10

Travelling London - Sydney later this year with a short 3hr stop en route. DCs will be 5 & 2yrs. I have done as much planning as possible for the flight bit and we have no proper plans on arrival for 48hrs (just relaxing in hotel).

Can anyone advise on how we can minimise jet lag if we can do such a thing? A friend mentioned melatonin sleep aid and I have no idea if it works or where I could get it / if suitable for kids.

Thanks

NannyR Mon 20-Feb-17 19:23:02

What time does your flight land? I used to prefer the one that landed early evening, get to the hotel, something to eat then straight to bed. Wake up in the morning after a good nights sleep and you are in local time.
Also, getting out in the fresh air and sunshine as much as possible helps a lot and try not to nap too much during the day if possible.
Disclaimer; this works for me as an adult, I've never done the trip with kids!

Wootle123 Mon 20-Feb-17 19:29:10

We leave the UK at 8am and we land at 6pm (24hrs flying) and I think it will get dark there around 7.30pm unfortunately so no time to get out in the sunlight really. I think the kids will sleep the majority of the second leg as to them it will be nightime but I had planned to wake them a few hours before landing so they're tired for the next 'evening' and then just let them stay up late and hope for the best!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Mon 20-Feb-17 19:29:12

We've used melatonin and it's excellent. My pharmacist friend gave me a dosage. They pescribe it for kids the ADHD, but I'm sure some people would be outraged. You need very little and it was freely available in Canada, not sure about Oz.

WreckTangled Mon 20-Feb-17 20:58:53

Melatonin is a controlled drug in the uk.

Op we're going to NZ in April, I've done it a few times but not with dc who will be 6 and 4, I can't say I'm looking forward to the flight!

Iamastonished Mon 20-Feb-17 22:55:08

OH used to regularly travel to South Korea and suffered dreadfully from jetlag. The doctor prescribed sleeping tablets. They wouldn't prescribe melatonin.

Wootle123 Tue 21-Feb-17 10:50:07

Done a bit of research today and it appears we might be able to buy melatonin online (circadian) but would only be suitable for DH and I which sort of defeats the purpose as I'm guessing the kids will be up!

Anyone know if you can purchase in Oz? If so I could potentially buy some for them when we arrive.

beingsunny Tue 21-Feb-17 11:00:56

Can you give the kids phenergen? You can buy it over the counter here in Sydney

WreckTangled Tue 21-Feb-17 12:09:48

Nope you can't get anything OTC like that here grin

GinSolvesEverything Wed 22-Feb-17 08:20:01

My preferred technique for minimising jet lag is to sleep for 4-6 hours on each leg. I travel 24 hours most years, and this is what I have found to work best.

Enough sleep to not lose your mind, and tired enough to get through at the other end.

I've taken the kids a few times and they've coped really well with this strategy too.

WreckTangled Wed 22-Feb-17 08:29:18

Good plan Gin when we leave we are taking off at 9:30 pm and get to NZ about 10 in the morning but then we have another internal flight to get.

JigglyTuff Wed 22-Feb-17 08:39:13

My DS takes melatonin every night - sanctioned by our GP but I buy it in the US as our CCG won't prescribe it.

It's perfectly safe for children and I recommend it for jet lag.

WreckTangled Wed 22-Feb-17 08:42:18

GP's aren't allowed to prescribe melatonin it has to be prescribed by a consultant and then the gp has to sign a shared care agreement in order to issue it.

empirerecordsrocked Wed 22-Feb-17 08:42:19

You can get phenergen here either.

JigglyTuff Wed 22-Feb-17 08:57:10

I think it must vary between CCGs Wreck as a friend's child has had it prescribed by the GP (child is being assessed for ASD but waiting for referral to come through).

My DS has ADHD and what you say is correct in our CCG. Apparently it's stupidly expensive here.

WreckTangled Wed 22-Feb-17 09:32:33

Interesting jiggly. My friends Ds is autistic and he had it, the consultant was very strict on dosage and not allowing it to be increased when she felt they needed it. He has to have tablets because the liquid is too expensive.

JigglyTuff Wed 22-Feb-17 16:52:22

That is interesting! I wonder if dosage is cost based rather than need based? Our GP said I could give DS any amount I chose!

AppleMagic Wed 22-Feb-17 16:55:00

It's crazy that it's controlled/expensive. I can get kids melatonin gummies in the grocery store.

AppleMagic Wed 22-Feb-17 16:55:56

Having said that, I've travelled longhaul with similar age kids and they adjusted really quickly without it.

JigglyTuff Wed 22-Feb-17 19:30:38

AppleMagic - because there is not the research to prove it works the NHS won't pay for it. And it hasn't been approved (presumably for the same reason) by the European Drug Agency so you can't buy it over the counter.

So they can prescribe it but the drug companies can charge $$$ for it.

Just goes to show how mad the rules are. I wonder what will happen post-brexit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now