Talk

Advanced search

Virgin Vs BA to New York

(15 Posts)
AintThatSomething Mon 20-Feb-17 18:29:37

Hi,

I am about to book flights for September to NY from Manchester. I flew Virgin to Atlanta last year and they were really good so I am tempted by Virgin again, but the BA flight is earlier so more time over there.

Does anyone know if you can pre book extra leg room seats with BA and does anyone have a big preference between the two? We paid the £50 each last time for extra leg room and it was worth it.

I am just a short arse but friend is tall so more for his benefit than me grin

Trying to judge between getting there a few hours earlier v more comfort en route!

AintThatSomething Mon 20-Feb-17 20:30:25

I've just looked again and it is Amercian Airlines for the BA bit. From what I can see they don't have seat back TVs and things?

Terryscombover Mon 20-Feb-17 20:36:27

American Airlines are shit. Stick with Virgin.

ArriettyClock1 Mon 20-Feb-17 20:39:52

American do have seatback TVs for long haul flights - and their seats are a bit bigger.

We often fly American and they are fine - but their cabin crew, imo, are a bit disinterested.

Jaimx86 Mon 20-Feb-17 20:40:49

Premium economy Thomas Cook if it's just the legroom you want.

RusholmeRuffian Mon 20-Feb-17 21:39:45

American definitely don't have seat back TVs on all flights. I just used them a few weeks ago and had to watch cartoons angry

AintThatSomething Mon 20-Feb-17 21:56:07

I'm thinking Thomas Cook now, as they have quite good times and we could fly premium on the way back and it is the air tanker thing on the way out. It has seat back entertainment.

It is coming out of a personal work training budget thing that expires in April and we have about £950 each left but the internal flights we need cost a fortune this year, or we would have went Virgin Premium.

Seemingly AA are better from London airports than other ones in terms of what entertainment you get.

Oh well....

mouldycheesefan Tue 21-Feb-17 11:15:26

My only concern with BA is that they do frequently go on strike.

bojorojo Wed 22-Feb-17 17:47:42

Not as often as French air traffic control!

We fly BA from London and like T5. From Manchester there is less choice so take your pick really. My experience of charter airlines are continual flight take-off time changes. I rarely use them now. DD currently en route to NY with AA from Heathrow. She was upgraded to Premium Economy! They have refitted a lot of their planes so check which plane before you decide. They also had seats with greater legroom in Economy for a supplement.

m0therofdragons Sun 12-Mar-17 23:06:22

AA had TVs when I flew with them and just checked as we fly to ny in 3 weeks and they assure me they do.

m0therofdragons Sun 12-Mar-17 23:10:24

Totally off point but just seen I'll be able to watch Girl on a train! Any chance my 3dc will actually allow that?

Iamastonished Sun 12-Mar-17 23:15:11

Last time OH flew with American Airlines he was messed about really badly. He had a business class seat booked, but the flight was delayed and then cancelled. He flew back 24 hours later in economy. At 6'2" he finds economy seats way too uncomfortable. The only compensation they offered was a discount on future flight bookings.

As if he wants to fly with them again hmm

bojorojo Mon 13-Mar-17 17:37:16

I think a lot depends on availabilty of seats and they can, and do, bunk people out of business if it is overbooked and if they cancelled a flight, it probably was. All airlines do it on busy routes.

Iamastonished Mon 13-Mar-17 18:16:35

I think it was the way it was done though. They wouldn't compensate him for the loss of a business class seat. The only compensation they offered was a discount on a future flight.

A prime example of how not to treat a customer.

fuzzyduck1 Sun 19-Mar-17 04:04:37

Stay away from virgin they ar suing the nhs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now